Adelaide Tourist Traps

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Dollar coins to gamble

by wise23girl Updated Feb 15, 2014

coins

Well if you do a bit of gambling you will appreciate how frustrating it is to need dollar coins for all your gambling on machines. Well we tried the machines first in the hotel and were horrified to find acceptors for $1 coins and nothing else.

So,we thought, it will be different at the Casino. But we were wrong! What a nightmare.

Now in New South Wales you can slip $100 note into the dreaded monsters and in Queensland $20...and we think we are hard done by in Queensland...but South Australia is really the pits!

Well things have changed in Queensland 2014...so maybe South Australia as well.

So be prepared my gambler friends.

Unique Suggestions: Be prepared in your mind...and when you do press the button for the coins have the money tub in place or the coins land all over the floor.

Fun Alternatives: Gamble in New South Wales.

• Casino and Gambling

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Don't Miss Out

by wise23girl Updated Feb 27, 2013

Don't Miss This

It happens everywhere but you find something you really wanted to do was on yesterday and you leave before the next time.the tour is available. Yes I know there is heaps you can do on your own but some guided tours are really very good.

Or it was Autumn yesterday and today it Winter (and it is still quite warm)and that tour does not run in Winter.

Unique Suggestions: So if possible check out the options on the internet before you arrive or ask on VT. Otherwise as soon as you get there grab some brochures and check out those 'Tour runs Tuesdays' only entries for that is for sure the one you wanted to do. .

If you head for Tourist Information they will assist you but do read up even then as they may not know every option either.

Fun Alternatives: If it is not possible to obtain your first choice enjoy what is available...you may be surprised.

• Matthew5163's Profile Photo

So called Taxi Scam

by Matthew5163 Written Aug 26, 2012

Some people have told me, even posted, that taxis leaving the Adelaide airport are scaming passangers. Suposedly charging more to leave the airport then to goto it. The taxi isn't at fault, the reason behind this is like most other airport taxi ranks.

The airport wants to make money out of having the taxis there, so evey taxi that pulls up at the airport to pick up passangers gets charged a surcharge by the airport, so to make sure they don't loose money, the taxi passes the surcharge onto the passangers.

So no this is no taxi scam, it's the airport scam. Atleast the surcharge in Adelaide is less the some other places.

• Business Travel

• travel80's Profile Photo

Taxi Scam

by travel80 Written Oct 30, 2006

I am not sure whether this happens to all but it happened to us.

It is our first time to Adelaide. There are 4 of us and there are 3 big luggages. So the taxi attendants at the airport arranged for us a van to go from airport to our Apartment at Pulteney Street. In the van, I was back facing the driver. During the journey, I turn around to check the taxi fare meter. It was 10 mins pass the airport n the fare si $11.40. I knew taxi fare in Adelaide in expensive so I didn't bother. The whole trip took abt 15-20 mins. When we reach our apartment, i turn to look at the taxi fare meter but it is cleared away. I ask the driver how much is it. he said $26. I thoguht it is the correct fare and paid him.

On our return to the airport from our apartment, in between we went to Victoria Square area to pick my cousin up and waited for 5 mins in the taxi, then we head off to airport. The whole trip takes abt 25-30 mins, but the taxi fare is 19.60.

What puzzled me is, for the first trip, shouldn't it cost lesser than the 2nd trip? Why did the taxi driver in the first trip clears away the taxi fare meter before I sees it? I am very positive that the first trip taxi driver had at least cheated us of $10. I found out from our apartment receptionist that, from the airport to the apartment should only cost about $15. I should have stared at the taxi fare meter during my first trip!!!

Unique Suggestions: Stare at the taxi fare meter towards the end of the journey trip. Make sure don't let them clear the meter before you sees it.

• Work Abroad
    • Women's Travel
    • Business Travel

• Tiffany_Toodles's Profile Photo

Be good and pack a lunch!!

by Tiffany_Toodles Updated Jun 25, 2006

The Adelaide Zoo can be quite pricey, especially if your travelling with lots of kids. Prices are:
    Adults $16.00
    Children $10.00 4-14 years
    Concession $13.00
    Family $50.00 2 adults & 3 children
    Children under age 4 are free.
    However, it is in my opinion worth it for a nice day out. Be advised though to bring your own lunch as the LyreBird Cafe is very pricey and there is often a large que. There are lots of nice benches and grassed areas too where you can enjoy your lunch without the hassle of waiting in a line and paying ridiculous prices for old chips and hot dogs.

• Zoo

• aussirose's Profile Photo

A fence? You say... But this...

by aussirose Updated Apr 16, 2006

Dog fence Nullarbor

A fence? You say... But this is no ordinary fence.
    Warning!! This is not a tourist trap haha. But it is a dog fence.
    It runs all the way along the borders of Queensland and South Australia. It is the world's longest fence. We saw it on the Nullabour.

• Eco-Tourism

• traveltrish's Profile Photo

The beautiful Adelaide Hills - few fuel stops

by traveltrish Written Jan 28, 2006

Adelaide Hills

If you have access to a car whilst in Adelaide then one of the must do things is to meander through the beautiful Adelaide Hills, stopping at small wineries, hotels, cafes, markets as you go.

Unique Suggestions: Beware of your fuel tank though as there are few petrol/gas stations in the Hills and one can easily run out of petrol if you are not careful on a narrow, windy road. Fill up before you go so that you can enjoy the picturesque beauty of the Hills.

• Ramonq's Profile Photo

Popeye Boat

by Ramonq Written Apr 16, 2005

It's a foot paddle boat that you hire to "cruise" the River Torrens. This river is more like a pond or a weir that's surrounded by lovely park.

Unique Suggestions: Do this on a nice sunny autumn day to make it pleasant.

Fun Alternatives: Walk around the park instead. The river looks more like a man-made pond than a mighty fluvial path.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

FAKE OPAL MINE

by BerniShand Written Jan 8, 2005

fake pigs too

The opals may be real, but the mine at 5 Rundle Mall is fake

the leaflet said `the original and best opal mine`, well ld hate to see the worst
    we knew it was in an opal store, but we expected it to perhaps give a little of the history of opal mining, or information about the stones

it didnt, it was all just a store

and it was expensive too !

Unique Suggestions: if you do visit dont buy anything until you have shopped around, there are lots of opal shops here

• harmonyk's Profile Photo

My Boomerang Won't Come Back

by harmonyk Written Aug 13, 2004

Two of the things visitors most want to take home after a trip to Oz must be Boomerangs and Didgeridoos. There are so many to choose from and many are simply cheap 'made in China' toys. Look out for authentic Australian products. The real thing should be made by Aboriginees. I bought my daughter's 'Didge' from the market place in the Kuranda Marketplace up in the rainforest north of Cairns, Queensland. It is without doubt authentic - as is my son's boomerang for which I was given the name and even a photo of the native Australian maker. If you want Chinese gifts to take home you shouldn't be in Australia. On a lighter note, you can also buy genuine Kangaroo Scrotum purses - BOING!

• Cabernetman's Profile Photo

National Wine Centre of Australia

by Cabernetman Written Oct 13, 2003

OK not quite a tourist trap but some may have been less than impressed. The entrance fee A$11 plus extra for tasting have put some of the locals off and the visitor numbers were less than anticipated. University of Adelaide will be running the show in the not too distant future which may do the centre some good.

Unique Suggestions: This is an option for people who are in Adelaide for a short stay and may not have the time nor resource to make a trip to the wine regions.

Fun Alternatives: Make a trip to the Barossa Valley or McLaren Vale about an hour away on the road.

For more info

• Wine Tasting

• RamSter's Profile Photo

Torrens river is the prime...

by RamSter Written Sep 12, 2002

Torrens river is the prime river in Adelaide and makes way for many shady parthways in a hot summers day.

• KhaanPatrick's Profile Photo

one tourist trap is to oder a...

by KhaanPatrick Written Aug 24, 2002

one tourist trap is to oder a Mt Gambier emu pack for dinner as it usually contains way to much flesh for a little tacker like me

Instant Answers: Adelaide

Comments

Adelaide Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Adelaide tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Adelaide sightseeing.