Townsend House was another favorite of mine. It certainly makes a difference, when these historical homes are cared for, and have nice gardens, they look as pretty as a picture.
Built beside an old Bullock track in 1854, it was the home of a farmer. People by the name of "Townsend" purchased the property in 1884. They were the owners of the adjacent Flour Mill.
In 1926, it was purchased by AMSCOL, an Adelaide milk company, as the Manager's residence.
The old Warehouse was also built in 1860. It was used as a store house for the shop opposite, then later, Sumner, of Sumner's Bakery used it for storing flour for his Bakery, and for storing Bran and Pollard.
It is now a private home.
This is the original house and shop that was built in 1860. William Sumner opened the Bakery in 1903. In 1929, additions were made to the building, so the staff could stay in accommodation behind the shop.
Three generations of "Sumners" kept the business running, employing 20 local people. In 1977, the Bakery moved out of town and to bigger premises. The Bakery has since closed, what a shame, as Sumner's made beaut cakes that were found on all the supermarket shelves in S.A.
Others have tried to copy, but none have tasted as good as a "Sumner's cake."