Asbestos Range Travel Guide

Looking to Bakers Beach
    by iandsmith
    One of many wombats I saw
    by iandsmith
    Start of the trail at Springlawn

Asbestos Range Things to Do

One of many wombats I saw 4 more images

by iandsmith Written Nov 17, 2011

On the return trek I tried to complete the Springlawn Loop Track but it was in vain as large pools of water now lay across the track in several places so I returned from whence I came, taking time to see some ferocious ants killing a dragonfly.
    Still, in one day’s walk I had seen more wombats and pademelons than I’d seen in my entire life.

• Eco-Tourism

Wildflower on the climb 2 more images

by iandsmith Written Nov 17, 2011

I reached the hide which is so typical of such things. Great hide, no birds. Well, not unless you count half a dozen swans and a lone grebe; so I decided to continue on the Archers Knob Track and, after half an hour, it suddenly ascended. A ten minute hike through low, wind blasted heath takes you to spectacular 360 degree views over Bakers and Badger Beaches, Springlawn and Port Sorrel.

• Beaches

Copperhead feasting 3 more images

by iandsmith Written Nov 17, 2011

But I wanted a picture of a frog because I could hear them and, suddenly, there was one right in front of me, barely moving, legs akimbo. The other end of him was firmly entrenched in the jaws of a copperhead. Actually, it was a toad.
    There was a time when I was young when I would have scarpered at a rate I can only reminisce about these days. Knowledge had taught me not to be afraid and I started shooting, remembering a time when I’d come across a large goanna with a baby wallaby in its throat and I’d stuffed those shots up. This time I had equipment and experience on my side. On a couple of occasions I had to prod the snake with my tripod to entice him to move to a better position, a use not mentioned in the tripod manual, and eventually got enough shots to satisfy my wants.

• Photography

Instant Answers: Asbestos Range

Comments

Asbestos Range Travel Guide
Map of Asbestos Range