Bruny Island Travel Guide

The light at the end of the funnel
    by iandsmith
    Eye catching view around the summit
    Little Taylor's at low tide

Bruny Island Things to Do

Stunning cliffs of Fluted Cape 4 more images

by iandsmith Written Feb 15, 2008

By the time I'd reached the top I'd come across a few people who complained about the walk. This number escalated as I continued along the cliff top.
    What they were whingeing about was the fact that it was slippery and had few steps, unlike the way I'd ascended which turned out to be a lot easier and, going down the correct way is a whole lot easier than coming up. So, if you're going, may I boldly suggest the anti-clockwise route.
    When you reach the top the views are stunning to say the least. Certainly well worth the effort. I do hope the pictures convey some idea of how wonderful the views are. Having said that, if you suffer from vertigo attacks you're probably not going to get as much enjoyment out of it as I did.
    Allow about 2 1/2 hours for the walk and, as I always say, take some liquid refreshment with you. By the time you reach the summit you'll be looking forward to a drink.

• Seniors

Eye catching view around the summit 4 more images

by iandsmith Updated Feb 15, 2008

When you've done your thing on the boat you might like to get up close and personal with the cliffs from the top.
    I should preface my remarks by saying that this isn't a walk for the non-fit as there's an ascent of 250 metres and the track is a little rough in places.
    You start from Adventure Bay (pic 5) and head north east along the road till it terminates. Here is a carpark just before the entrance to some accommodation. From here you start walking along the beachfront (pic 4) and you'll start to come across signs.
    Eventually it points right for the Fluted Cape Walk. For some reason, more than 90% of people ignore that and go straight ahead. This is a mistake. Yes, you will get to do exactly the same walk in reverse but, trust me, there's a reason they put the sign there.
    Following the correct path takes you through the forest, past some odd shaped gum trees (pic 3) here and there with little else to catch your attention.
    The trail is a bit makeshift in places but easy to follow though it is uphill. The reason for going this way I'll explain in the next tip.

Remnant of the past 4 more images

by iandsmith Updated Feb 12, 2008

It was a flash before my eyes. A white bounding movement it had been with a hairy outline.
    What manner of creature had passed before me?
    To wit, it had been an albino wallaby and thoughts crossed my mind that I might be seeing something unique. It was certainly something I had never seen before.
    During the Bruny Island Charter though, I was to learn that, far from being a standout, which it certainly had been in the physical sense, albino wallabies were descended from a couple that had been released on the island many years ago and had now multiplied until there were estimated to be 60 of them and, if you spent time at the caravan park in the centre of Adventure Bay, you would almost be certain to see one.
    Ah well, it fired my imagination for a while.
    There are other things I came across on Bruny like the rustic sheep shed, now in obvious disuse, the kelp all along the foreshores of the Tasman Sea and the receding tides that go out a long way due to the shallow waters on the sheltered side.

Instant Answers: Bruny Island

Comments

Bruny Island Travel Guide
Map of Bruny Island