Carrick is an old historic township 17 kilometres from Launceston. The picturesque Liffey River crosses the western end of the town.
There are a number of interesting historic buildings in Carrick, including St Andrews Church (1848), Balmoral (1851), the Old Watchhouse (1837), Carrick Inn (1833), old Plough Inn (1841), old Prince of Wales Hotel (1840), Hawethorne Villa (1875), and the Old Mill House (1867).
The Liffey River was originally called the Penny Royal Creek, and Carrick was first called Lyttleton.
A more recently established attraction is the Tasmanian Copper Gallery, where you can view and buy original artworks made from copper. The colours and shapes are amazing; Marick has done much experimentation with the art form and it's well worth a look.
It's called Marick's Gallery but he is the son of the man who started it. He'd bought the lovely brick building that now appears as a ruin. Within a year of the purchase a fire ravaged it and today it remains abandoned, looming as an evocative site over the town and so reminiscent of many an English house I've seen.
The gallery, well worth a look, is situated at the side of what is known as "Archer's Folly" and there's a splendid interpretive board with the history of the building on it.
I won't spoil it for you by giving all the details here.
AGFEST is one of Australia's biggest agricultural field days, and is held nearby over the first weekend in May each year.
In 1874 he built Hawthorn, a fine Gothic house with every modern convenience, and the adjoining farm of Hattondale, working its 486 hectares in conjunction with the mill. Later he took into partnership his second son Albert, who in 1898 married Fanny Robertson. The eldest son, who had been weakened by an accident at the mill, opened a store in Launceston.
Fondest memory: After a world tour and much study of American roller mills and electricity, Monds moved back to Launceston in 1888, but not to retirement. He completed thirty years as chairman and treasurer of the Carrick Road Trust and nine years as an elected member of the Westbury Council, as well he served as a territorial justice of Tasmania. In Launceston he became a director of the Tasmanian Permanent Trustees and Executors, the Equitable Building Society and the Mutual Insurance Society. He was also manager and trustee of the savings bank at Launceston. He published Domestic and Other Pieces (Launceston, 1903), Autobiography (Launceston, 1907), and Diary of Our Trip Round the World (Launceston, 1910).
Deeply religious in nature, Monds had joined the Wesleyan Church and became superintendent of the Sunday school in Carrick. Under the pastorates of Revs W. Law and J. Massie in Launceston, he became an active member, deacon and treasurer of Christ Church. His wife died in 1905. Monds died in Launceston on 9 May 1916. A self-made man, his mill brought prosperity to himself and to Carrick.
Thomas Wilkes Monds, miller, was born on 28 June 1829 in Launceston, Tasmania, the son of Thomas Monds and his wife Helena. His father, a descendant of a Huguenot family, arrived in Hobart Town in 1822 with his farming man, Rush, and went on to Launceston. Granted land at Tunbridge he tried farming but was unsuccessful. He then tried his hand as a cooper in Launceston, opened a general store in Charles Street and then built a shop and dwelling in St John Street. He also made soap and candles, that previously had been imported from England. He died in 1838 after a fall. He was a gentle kindly man but he lacked the drive and initiative that were to characterize his son.
Fondest memory: His wife was left with three children, Thomas, Helena and Benjamin, and very little means. In 1841 she married William Jones, a timber merchant. They moved to the Mersey and then settled at Don where they built a house in 1843. While splitting laths and shingles, young Monds was spotted by John Guillan, who, after talks with him and his mother, offered to take the boy and teach him the business of millwright and miller.
Monds began his apprenticeship at the Supply Mills on the West Tamar River. His employers, Guillan and Symes, had built the schooner Dusty Miller that traded with South Australia in wheat, flour, and farm produce; in 1842 she was wrecked and the cargo worth £10,000 was lost. As nothing had been insured, Guillan and Symes were declared bankrupt. In 1845 Guillan rebuilt the Albion Mills with modern machinery and gave Monds sole charge of it and the book-keeping. On finishing his apprenticeship Monds went for six months as foreman to the flour-mill of John Walker in Hobart, and thence to the Supply Mills, and to the Cataract Mills in Launceston.
At 24 he doubled his capital in the paling trade at Forth (west of Launceston) and returned to Launceston to take charge of Button’s Mill.
In 1852 he married Angelina Hall, by whom he had eight children. He built a house in Frankland Street, Launceston, so successfully that he set up as a builder for seven years and then returned to Albion Mills. Raising his first and last mortgage, he bought the stone mill at Carrick for £2100 in 1867, and moved into the cottage behind it with his family. His business flourished quickly and next year he was able to buy the steam mill of a bankrupt competitor.