Places to eat in Hobart

• Restaurants
    by AusPinay

Most Viewed Restaurants in Hobart

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

Anatolia Restaurant: reasonably priced good food.

by sirgaw Written May 30, 2014

I’ve always said that the best people to tell you where the best places to go and the best restaurants to visit are NOT the locals, but rather visitors – which is probably why this web site is so popular.

Such is the case with Anatolia Restaurant in North Hobart. I was chatting to a visitor to Melbourne and let it slip that my wife and I were shortly to visit Hobart. The lady dug through her handbag and passed me a card for the restaurant and on fear of my life, made to visit. Glad she was such a good talker as it is a great find.

It was a Saturday evening when we went to the restaurant without a booking and somehow the staff was able to squeeze us into the busy ground level restaurant. Lady Gaw choose a steaming Soup of the Day, which she reported as delicious, while I tucked into a traditional ‘Meze’ Platter with tasty dips accompanied by great and traditional Turkish bread – a great combination. We shared a main course of Anatolian Mixed Grill Platter, which was more than enough for 2 and somehow managed to find room for a home made Baklava each. With a drink each the total cost was around $80 and, by the way, we were serenaded by a guitarist singer who sings in French several evenings per week.

Upstairs there were 2 function rooms and as we were leaving the 2 booked groups arrived and very quickly filled the upstairs section.

All up great food and service at very reasonable prices. Please note that the image above is from Google Earth Street View – it was dark, cold and raining when we dined there.

• Seniors

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

Oyster Cove Inn: - great food, reasonable prices

by sirgaw Written May 27, 2014

The Oyster Cove Inn is a magnet for ‘yachties’ – if such a term exists – as it is located beside several extensive marinas. It is also located almost adjacent to the very popular Bruny Island ferry terminal almost 1 kilometre away.

As we’d missed the ferry that we’d hoped to have caught on our return from Bruny Island, we arrived back in Kettering an hour later than we’d planned – and too late for our hosts to rustle up dinner. We decided to dine at the Oyster Cove Inn and glad we did.

I was expecting normal ‘pub grub’ type food and I was wrong. After a drink from the well-stocked bar and beside the roaring fire (late April and baby it was cold outside) we chose our main course. I do remember that Lady Gaw really enjoyed Atlantic salmon, while I tucked into a delicious seafood chowder – a dish that would be very rarely seen on a ‘pub’ meun. Prices were very reasonable.

Judging by the twinkling evening lights from the marinas and yachts, I would guess the daytime view would be impressive. The Inn has a main bar with slightly cheaper eating options and accommodation is available on an upper level.

Guessing, the inn would be very busy during peak season and I would suggest pre-booking a table in the restaurant.

Photos;
    1. From the Bruny Island ferry and looking towards the hotel
    2. Sorry this has been taken from Google Earth and along the Channel Highway.

• Seniors
    • Sailing and Boating

• Jef5's Profile Photo

The Flying Wok: Laksa! in the Mall

by Jef5 Written Mar 6, 2014

The Flying Wok is located in the city of Glenorchy, HOBART.

Address:

Shop 32 Northgate Shopping Centre Main Rd
    Glenorchy TAS 7010 AU

Contact:
    Phone: 03 62725718
    Fax: 03 62446699

Favorite Dish: Laksa - best in Hobart.

The Coffee Shop Buffet: Delectable and filling meals

by AusPinay Written Jul 23, 2013

The name of the place is misleading - this is a buffet restaurant so be prepared to sample many delicious and filling dishes and make sure you come with an empty stomache. The $34 fare per person is not so bad considering there are choices of roast of the day, ham with baked vegies, hot dishes like stews, curries, pasta, pizzas, hot soups, salads and a good selection of desserts.
    Hot drinks-coffee, tea or chocolate are included in the fee. You can order other drinks from the bar too.

It reminds me of the RSL or Workerws Club in our area in Sydney although this one serves buffet brekky, lunch and dinner everyday!

One big tip: Make sure you make a reservation as it gets fully booked especially when there are shows or conferences which can be almost every weekend night!

Favorite Dish: I like the roasts, they are really tender and the vegies are really hot too. The hot dishes with the rice are also good. Over-all if you are on a diet, don't come here. it is worth going here for special occasions.

chocolate fondue
    • Casino and Gambling

Kelantan Delights: Lovely Malaysian and Singaporean dishes

by AusPinay Written Jul 19, 2013

This is an authentic place that serves great Malaysian and Singaporan dishes. The decor is very sparse, yet it mirrors the laid back style of eateries in Singapore that we like- there's self serve Chinese tea in flasks ( so no need to buy expensive drinks) and water. The cutleries and serviettes and other condiments are also there for you to get once your order comes.

There is a bit of a wait for roti canai but it comes with great tasting dip just as my husband enjoyed them in Singapore so it's worth the wait. My king fu noodles were also good and a big serve! The vegies were a bit overcooked but for some reason, they were still good and complemented the saucy flat rice noodle dish.

Prices are reasonable enough, comparable to those in the city and it's even nearer for us to go than in the city.

If you are hungry and rushing, phone ahead, as orders take a while, There's a steady clientele ordering take aways and not many dine in customers. There was only one staff waiting on us and taking orders too so be patient .

Favorite Dish: My husband likes the roti and the curry dip that comes with them- they come in two pieces of roti and small bowl of curry.He also loves the Tom yum fried rice and I agree- it was very good, maybe excellent! I can't take too spicy food but the taste of the rice was so good I forgot about the spicy flavour.

I love my kungfu noodles and might order something else next time, probably nasi lemak but not very spicy dishes.

Kungfu noodles interiors of Kelantan Delights

Dumpling Express: Great little place for quick bite

by AusPinay Written Jul 19, 2013

Food is easily available here as they have a fast food bar during week days as they have a steady clientele of office workers and local shoppers. I find the ordering system is systematic here- you choose what you like from the hot dish bar or ala carte menu which we usually do and then pay so we don't forget. This is common in this area due to a big volume of customers in the city.

We've eaten a few times here as it is near the shopping malls and Rivers where we go often to bet our clothing needs.

The food is served piping hot, the crockery used are alright too. Ingredients are always fresh and the staff are often very friendly. We also like coming here as customers are not as loud. Being a small place, it is great for their steady customers to be behaved. So far, we haven't had any big complaints about this place. Only, the dimsims are a small serve. Also, hubby wishes they will serve duck.

Favorite Dish: My husband likes their fish teriyaki, he cannot stop raving about them. While I like their barbecued pork noodles soup. It is not as tasty as the ones in Sakura but still a good dish. They use flat rice noodles too unlike Sakura where they use Hokkien noodles =, same as Bento Noodle House.

bbq pork with flat rice noodles soup Chinese tea while waiting for our order

Dave's Noodles: Hearty noodles and other dishes

by AusPinay Updated Jul 19, 2013

I classify this under "other" as it is a combination of many Asian cuisines- Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Malaysian.

When we first ate here, I didn't like the soup I ordered but I returned recently and found the soup has improved. My barbecued pork noodles soup was really good and a big serve at $11.50. It was good for two so I shared it with my husband. He also had stir fry flat rice noodles with beef and they were also good.

The first time we ate here, ,my husband had fishball soup. He said it was ok.

Several nice things about this place- the crockery when you dine in is always authentic and if you like to take away your leftovers, they don't charge extra for the container. I have offered a few times and they refused my money. So it is a breath of fresh air as in Sydney, we pay $.50 for a plastic take away container when I cannot finish my food and I don't want to waste it.

Favorite Dish: My fave is the barbecued pork noodles soup- it is tasty the second time around, had fresh bok choy, sliced carrots and button mushrooms. The soup was a big serve, noodles were nicely cooked too. My husband likes their flat rice noodles stir fry with seafood. He wishes they serve duck which is really his fave.

Seafood Char Kwai Teow big serve of bbq pork noodles soup Seafood  soup Didn't enjoy the soup but nice crockery

Sakura Sushi Noodle Bar: Great tasting dishes and soups not just sushi

by AusPinay Updated Jul 19, 2013

This place can be mistaken just as a sushi and noodles bar but it is a great place for Asian fare- Chinese, Japanese or any Asian popular dish, they can cook it for you and tastes great!

The place is not surprisingly a very busy hub so come early if you like to get good seats away from the line of people who either queue for the sushi -for eat in or take away or those lining up for the other made to order dishes- which are part of a long list!

Just be patient as your order may take a while. Make sure you don't come here very very hungry although you can get some sushi (from the bar) while waiting for your order, anyway, they're cheap and freshly and nicely made.

There are rice & stir fry meats, vegies & noodles, noodle soups choices of seafood, beef, barbecue pork, Cantonese, Shanghai, or other styles that you like. Different choices also for the noodles -whether stir fried or in soups.

Another attraction here is the reasonable prices especially for their sushi- they have a 5 for $5 deal so the place is for all ages to enjoy!

My family always have a great time here- my youngest loves the sushi, and the big serves of their soup is good for me to share with my son. My eldest likes their laksa and stir fry dishes too. My husband enjoys his seafood Char Kwai Teow or Tom Yum soup.

For the generous serves, I classify this place as relatively cheaper than average as compared to other restos in the area and compared to our area - in Huonville or even Kingston where prices are more expensive for the same dishes.

Favorite Dish: My fave which is always the same great taste is either the superb Cantonese beef noodles soup- a big serve, or barbecued pork noodles soup which is equally tasty and nourishing just like the beef soup. My hub likes the Tom Yum Soup here with seafood and the sushi is great for my son and I. They cater also to vegetarians.

Bbq pork noodles soup my fave Cantonese beef noodles soup Tom yum seafood seafood hokkien noodles

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

Sawak Cafe Hobart: Lousiest beef noodle soup I've ever tasted!

by AusPinay Updated Jul 19, 2013

This is classified as a Malaysian/Asian resto but I was terribly disappointed when I got my fave order of beef noodles soup! How could they get this wrong? I have never tasted such lousy beef soup ever! There was one measly teeny tiny coriander along with about three cut up bok choy or choy cum vegies..the rest are just a blob of egg noodles and big serve of bland soup! The beef pieces, about three 0r four pices were also chewy and not very good at all, a big fail! The photo shows my order just as they served them to me, as if they were leftovers from someone else's order, hope not!

My hub's order was much better but very small serve too! At $13.50, for seafood Char Kwai Teow is reasonable enough if it was a good serve. Compared to Sakura sushi noodles and more, I prefer the latter w here I have never been disappointed, having had our lunch there for about 3-4 times in the last few weeks! The Cantonese noodles soup of Sakura are the best and cannot really be compared to the soup at Sawak's.

So avoid ordering beef noodles soup here, they are not their specialty nor should it be in their menu. Staff is just average too, not as friendly and very businesslike. Actually she almost got my order wrong too. She thought i said barbecue pork noodle soup and I had to correct her.

To be fair, they probably are better with their roti canai and the nasi lemak dishes as I saw two ladies order them and they seemed to have enjoyed their orders. They also came quicker than my lousy soup- seemes they had them ready cooked to serve- one lady ahd nasi lemak with beef rendang- I was scared to order the rendang as I know this is very spicy! Dave's order were also spicy, good for him as he loves spicy foods but I am allergic to chilli!

If you love your soup, go to Sakura, worth the wait there!

Favorite Dish: Nothing, I had lunch at the other Sawak Cafe branch in Glenorchy and it is much better there but not as great as Sakura too. The vegies seem to be ovdercooked and sliced so thinly too that you can hardly see them (at Glenorchy) but the saving grace there is their friendly owner.

The lousiest beef noodles soup I have ever tasted! Seafood Char Kwai Teow is better but small serve

Chopsticks Restaurant: Great food & friendly staff

by AusPinay Updated May 23, 2013

This restaurant is in a good location a long the Channel highway in Kingston and so we found it easily reached and near parking.

However, when we got there, it was 15 minutes to closing time so we were just given three choices - beef, chicken or scallops with rice as it was late.

But luckily, our food turned out great- freshly cooked, good portions and tasty!

The waitress who served us was a smiling faced lady with good manners and she was pleasant to the customers. Despite a busy diner, our order came fast and piping hot, we loved that!

Favorite Dish: I can only say the beef stir fry was really good, with freshly cooked vegies- zucchinis, carrots, cabbage and spring onions served with simple fried rice.

My husband liked his sweet and sour scallops though the sauce was a bit sour for him.

beef stir fry

Niko Niko Sushi and other food: Lovely and fesh sushi and other Japanese food

by AusPinay Written Apr 15, 2013

The small Asian style resto serves freshly made sushi but you can also order other Japanese dishes like Teriyaki, miso soup and other meals depending on the available produce and ingredient in the shop.

The Asian staff are friendly and polite and very helpful. The food is refreshingly good and the ambience inside is very calm despite the busy street outside.

Favorite Dish: I love my teriyaki beef while my boys love the sushi which uses fresh ingredients and local produce which we enjoy! We also like the miso soup.

Great variety of delectable sushi yummy Beef Teriyaki with freshly cut salad enjoying the food and friendly atmostphere

Sawak Cafe: Unique Asian Resto

by AusPinay Written Apr 15, 2013

This restaurant is unique as it has both Japanese and Malaysian food in the form of lovely and yummy sushi using fresh Tassie produce and also a variety of noodle dishes- mostly stir fries.

I love the fact the owner of the place is able to have a chat with us customers, he takes time to tell us about his restaurant and also make sure we are enjoying our food. It has generous servings and reasonable prices. The place is compact but nice enough and clean.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish is actually the sushi as it uses fresh ingredients and local produce like the nice Australian salmon and tuna (for my son)- though I am allergic to salmon, I can see that the ingredients are fresh and my family really loves the sushi.

Some of the noodle dishes are not so attractive when you look at them but they are tasty enough. The Cook tends to overcook the vegies so not so attractive. Having said this, I like the rice noodles with the beef- like Char kwai teow style of Chinese noodles stir fry. I had a taste that my son ordered, it was really good and true to the taste of the original recipe I think.

As of the other noodles, they were a bit salty for my taste but filling enough.

The Cafe/ Trading Post: Award winning pies and more

by AusPinay Written Mar 10, 2013

Lovely place to unwind for travellers and locals alike at a reasonable price. Aside from their award winning pies and other food and goodies, the place is filled with lots of character.

There are loads of seating options, for all types of people- families included. There is a cosy log fire for hose cold winters and a ramp for disabled access.

They are also well stocked with basic staple foods- bread, milk, drinks, even newspapers. To top it all, they function as a post office where the locals in hard to reach places can pick up their mail and parcels. There are readily stamped envelopes and post cards so both locals and tourists can post their mail just outside the mailbox in front of the cafe.

A very useful part of the place is he Notice Board for that all important information on events, items/stuff for sale or stuff wanted to buy. Overall a great trading post located right across the river and the marina.

Favorite Dish: tasty scallop pies and lovely capuccino also chicken pies -they use fresh ingredients and serve crisp green salads with the pies..at $5 what a bargain!

lovely award winning pies- scallop pies are so yum well stocked food shop & cafe they sell the local papers too cosy interiors for families w/young kids too

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

Huon's Little Treasures Cafe and Restaurant: Asian and western fare in great setting

by AusPinay Written Mar 10, 2013

This lovely resto/dining place sells western food, take away food but the lovely Vietnamese salad, spring rolls and other Asian dishes are dlectable. The Thai owner told us she is slowly introducing the locals to her cuisine. At the moment, she is happy to serve the more popular dishes that are sought after by tourists and locals alike- like the classic fish and chips of course!

It has scenic location, right across the Huon river in Franklin, a charming town.

Favorite Dish: Vietnamese salad, pork spring rolls were so good..using fresh ingredients, and she can make it hot or not so hot as you like your food to be. Also popular her are the oysters and other seafood, whatever is the fresh catch for the day.

Huon'sLittle Treasure Cafe

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Da Angelo: Great Italian in Classic Surroundings

by DSwede Written Feb 10, 2013

Searching for some good food, thankfully the search wasn't long - Da Angelo was right across the street. It was always busy with locals, which is a good sign in my opinion that its deserving of its reputation.

The restaurant is in an old residential building, making its seating arrangements rather random and cozy. There's the stereotypical guys running the front door and kitchen and the girls running as servers. The linens on the tables and old photos on the walls gives it a nice original feel.

Favorite Dish: The food was excellent! It was the first time that I ever had a scallop calzone, which was delicious.

Scallop Calzone... mmm

Latest: Jul 14, 2014
Salamanca Terraces
Latest: Jul 15, 2014

Instant Answers: Hobart

Comments

Hobart Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Hobart locals.
Map of Hobart