Safety Tips in Hobart

location
    by balhannah
    Gene going to fly....
    by ATXtraveler
  • This fire came close but there was little damage.
    This fire came close but there was...
    by Tasmania

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Hobart

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

Is it really worth it?

by seamandrew Updated Apr 4, 2011

When flying into Australia, their local custom's agents are very strict as far as what can be brought into the country. This applies twice as much to things like fruits, vegetables, animals, plants, and other living things. I've never seen such strict rules for items like this and it doesn't end here. When flying domestically, you still need to avoid transporting these items. Well, from the mainland to Tasmania. Once you arrive on the island of Tasmania, be prepared to be sniffed. Many things grown on the mainland are not allowed on the island of Tasmania without passing inspection or quarantine. So to be sure, eat all your fruit before boarding the plane or while on the plane. Don't bring it with you to Tasmania or this little guy (see picture) will be all over you!

Liz got caught in Sydney because she had an apple in her bag for two days. She ate the apple on the flight to Australia, but the smell was all over the bag. We learned our lesson and avoided repeating it.!

• balhannah's Profile Photo

Car Theft

by balhannah Written Sep 25, 2008

The car park at the Botanic gardens is known for its thefts. Even though we parked only a couple of spaces from the gates, people told us they scared off some youths trying to break in to our car. We didn't have anything of value in it, but it would have cost us if they had broken something. They target interstate cars, and by this, are pretty game. We thanked the people very much. Just be aware, DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES IN YOUR CAR HERE, OR ANYWHERE TOURISTY FOR THAT MATTER.

• Women's Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• carmen.'s Profile Photo

FISHING - IT IS BEST - TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY

by carmen. Written Feb 5, 2008

PROFESSIONAL CHARTER BOATS ARE - REASONABLY PRICED, OFFER A PEACE OF MIND, AND THE GUIDES KNOWLEDGE OF THE WATERS.

I RECENTLY FISHED WITH A CHARTER BOAT - AND JUST AS WELL. THE WEATHER CHANGED IN NO TIME AT ALL. WE HAD A SWIRL OF 2 METERS.
    IT WAS QUITE ROUGH HEADING BACK TO SHORE.

YES I DID CATCH FISH! NOT ONE, BUT TWO GOT AWAY.

• Fishing

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Electronic Disturbances!

by ATXtraveler Written Sep 3, 2005

Don't bother taking your cell phone with you when you go to visit Mt. Wellington, and make sure you do not rely just on your battery operated car alarm to re-open your car... bring the actual key!

The EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference) on the top of this mountain is a bugger!

We were unable to get reception on the cell phone service, and when I did finally get back down to the bottom of the mountain, there were 8 messages!

But then again... when on vacation... who cares if your phone works!

Mark

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Don't Get Blown Away!

by ATXtraveler Written Sep 3, 2005

In some countries, this tip would be a little more dangerous, possibly meaning a hurricane or even a criminal with a gun... but in Hobart, you better watch out for a different danger.... the wind!

When we went to the top of Mount Wellington to take a look at the beautiful town of Hobart from air, we were hit with quite a few gusts of hard wind!

I am tall and wide, so I did not have nearly as much trouble as Sarah and her mother, but as you can see... Sarah's Dad did his best to keep his feet planted!

Watchout while you are walking, but definitely still go up to Mount Wellington!

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Be at the airport early for Hobart's early flights

by xuessium Written Apr 1, 2005

If you are catching the early first or second flight out of Hobart, especially if you are travelling on Qantaslink, give yourself a generous time buffer to queue, check-in and clear security. I was to catch the connecting 6.15am out from Hobart to Sydney and only made it by the skin of my teeth, even though I was at the airport at 5am. The queue is VERY long and the check-in counters simply could not cope with the volume and got bogged down. Be there at 4.15am if you need to... true, you will lose some valuable slumber time, but at least you get the satisfaction of getting your check-in done unfazed!

• Business Travel

• j-san's Profile Photo

Be very careful about the...

by j-san Written Aug 26, 2002

Be very careful about the weather!! Even in the middle of summer (which is not that warm anyway..) it can change suddenly in the mountains. If you are going hiking (which you SHOULD!) then make sure you sign your name and destination at the log book at the start of any trail, also always carry warm clothes with you. There are stories (of Japanese tourists mainly!!) getting cought out in sudden snowstorms in the middle of summer.

Here is MY little story:

It was a beautiful summers day and my boyfriend and I were camping in the middle of nowhere. The location was amazing. We did not see another person the whole 3 days we were there, camping by a lake, no sign of civilization as far as the eye could see. We went for a short hike away from our camping spot. I kept avoiding the puddles... until he finally said 'just walk right through them! What have you got all that great gear for?!' so the next puddle we came to I confidently strided in..... except I SANK!!!Waist deep!!! I hadn't noticed that he had walked PAST that one! I cracked up laughing! And as he pulled me out we agreed: 'won't have to worry about any more puddles now!'. We scraped the mud off me as best we could and made our way back. I jumped straight into the lake!!! It was so beautiful. A few minutes later the sun began to sink behind the mountain - and I stopped feeling my legs!! I called out to my boyfriend who said, 'get out! quick!'. I was shivering by the time I got to the tent. The temperature had dropped from 21degrees Celcius to zero in less than 20 minutes! That night it got to -10 degrees Celcius! I never quite warmed up... I was shivering for most of the night. In the morning my clothes were frozen rock-solid... then the sun crept up and we spent the afternoon sunbaking in the nude! Remember: the weather can be changeable!!! :)

• Tasmania's Profile Photo

Bushfires

by Tasmania Written Dec 26, 2003

One of the best things about the city is that you are always close to the bush, but in the summertime it pays to be very aware that this can happen......

Hobart Hotels

Latest: Mar 19, 2014
Quest Waterfront
Latest: Mar 27, 2014

Instant Answers: Hobart

Comments

Hobart Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Hobart locals.
Map of Hobart