Huonville Travel Guide

• Huonville
    Thermal pool

Huonville Things to Do

by Kate-Me Written Apr 11, 2003

We took the short walk to Russell Falls, but unfortunately there hadn't been a lot of rain, so they weren't really flowing. However, the walk itself was really pretty, so nice I did it twice.

Me in a big tree
    • Disabilities

by Kate-Me Written Apr 11, 2003

The spring may be thermal, but it's not hot, rather warm at a constant 29 degrees celcius. In a very nice rainforest setting!

Thermal pool

by Kate-Me Written Apr 5, 2003

The Geevston Air Walk is one of the must sees of this region (note: photos taken by my husband as I'm afraid of heights).

The air walk is the longest elevated walkway of its kind...way up in the tree tops.

(I contented myself with browsing in the gift shop in the main building)
    Then we took the nice 20 minute river walk to get our first look at Huon Pine trees (which these days really only exist in any large amount way over on the west). Huon pine was so favoured for building ships in the early days of Tasmania because it contains an aromatic oil that prevents wood from rotting.

Geevston air walk
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

Huonville Restaurants

by Kate-Me Written Apr 11, 2003

Dover was only a very small town, and seemed to only have a takeaway or two...and this attractive bakery. The colours really got me in.

Favorite Dish: I bought a quiche...it was ok, but nothing fantastic.
    There were breads and pies, but I thought for a continental bakery, there was very limited choice.

Still its one of the only places to get food in town.

Gingerbread House Bakery

Huonville Tourist Traps

by Kate-Me Updated Apr 11, 2003

We took a 1 hour tour through Newdegate cave, which is a Dolomite cave rather than limestone (so the colours are less pretty and a bit dull). We took the tour because we read from several sources that this is one of the best caves in Australia, but found it not so at all, though it does have its attractive parts.

It's the only cave I've been in though that actually has cave spiders....ones that grow to 18 cms in length and spin a 1 mt web! Fortunately I only saw one torchlit from a distance of about 10 metres or I would have been outa there fast!!

Unique Suggestions: Be prepared that although it is nice, it's not as fantastic as the brochures say.

Fun Alternatives: Instead I?d recommend the caves at Mole Creek (near Deloraine in the North of the state). Eg King Solomon?s cave, which really does live up to its reputation, and which has a great Glow Worm display as well as nice limestone stalactites and stalagmites etc.

Hastings cave
    • Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Huonville

Comments

Huonville Travel Guide
Map of Huonville