Launceston Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Launceston

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo

Indian Empire Restaurant: Sensational Indian cuisine

by Chinggis_n_Borte Written Aug 17, 2014

The service was friendly and efficient.

The dishes we chose were so delicious that we researched the recipes after dining here.

We shared Palak Gosht (or Ghosht Palak) which is a lamb with a spinach based sauce, and a cottage cheese and capsicum dish in a hot capsicum and tomato based sauce, saffron rice, some naan breads - Paneer naan (with cottage cheese) and naan Kashmiri (with sultanas), and for desserts we had a mango and saffron home made ice cream (mango kulfi) , and fried cottage cheese dumplings in honey (gulab jamun).

There are various meat and seafood dishes, and about a dozen vegetarian main dishes.

The restaurant is open 7 days from 5pm for dinner.

Favorite Dish: The flavour of the Palak Gosht (or Ghosht Palak) was unbeatable.

Indian cuisine at its most delicious!

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo

Toong Thong Thai: Delicious Thai curries

by Chinggis_n_Borte Written Aug 16, 2014

We chose a beef in red curry and a chicken in yellow curry, and shared a special fried rice. there is a choice in respect to the heat of the curry. The staff were very friendly, and the service was very efficient, and the food was delicious. Borte also had a cocunut juice.

Favorite Dish: The beef in red curry also had lots of vegetables with beef in the curry sauce. The chicken in yellow curry sauce came with potatoes in the sauce. The special fried rice has a nice amount of chicken and prawns. We were quite full after the meal. The portion size was good. We did not have entrees. We would have been too full if we had have eaten an entree too.

Our main dishes were $20.90 AUD each.

Delicious curries and special fried rice

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

Jin Xing Chinese Restaurant

by sirgaw Written Jun 5, 2014

By Melbourne standards, Tasmanian restaurants seemed to close very early – and perhaps this is indicative of what I wrote on ‘A Beginners Guide to Tasmania.’ Tassie is about 20 years behind the rat races of Sydney and Melbourne – and I repeat this is a compliment to Tasmania.

We had wanted a ‘special’ place for our last night in Tasmania and on the way back to our accommodation – Hi George B&B – also located in York Street we spotted the very attractive exterior of the Jin Xing Chinese Restaurant. We were quite surprised to see at 8.30pm that the CLOSED sign was in the window and the little gates seemed to be locked. With a lot of arm waving we managed to attract the attention of a lady who seemed to be working inside. She quickly came outside and we asked if we could see a menu (really I was looking to see how much for mains as I’ve been trapped before). After a quick check I decided to return and asked if we needed to book for a Thursday evening – “Yes It will be VERY busy as the car race is on,” and so we booked for 7pm

We arrived right on time and entered the well-appointed restaurant and quickly met by a young Asian woman. We were very efficiently seated, menus brought out, drink order taken and all that – then we asked if they were expecting a big crowd – “Oh no tonight VERY quiet.” We laughed into our drinks while waiting for entrée, followed by mains of well presented and very tasty Cantonese food.

I highly recommend Jin Xing Chinese Restaurant. Service was great and so too was the food. By Melbourne standards the price was very reasonable and I suspect I would have paid at least 50% more in a comparable restaurant in my own city.

Please note - photo above was taken mid morning when business closed.

• Business Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Holy Guacamole: Trendy Mexican in the heart of downtown

by DSwede Written Feb 10, 2013

Having arrived in town at lunch hour, feeding my belly was one of the first points on the agenda. My friends took me to downtown and we walked around until we smelled something that was enticing. The restaurant is more of a cafe, where you order at the counter, then take your number sign to the table. They have outdoor seating too if the weather is nice.

Favorite Dish: Its served in a bit of a trendy atmosphere, but the dishes are decent, but nothing extraordinary. They have tacos, burritos, nachos, etc. Basically the typical Mexican fare. While it might not be a show stopper, there are not many options for Mexican in town.

Charles Street Pantry Cafe: A good sizable crowd

by xuessium Written Dec 19, 2008

This is a cafe that serves coffee, breakfast and lunch.

The black and white facade is quite appealing and the menu satisfactorily intriguing. Nothing over the top, just dignified cafe culture. It certainly has its fair share of supporters, evident by a constant stream of patrons.

Favorite Dish: Dropped by for coffee essentially so nothing else to elaborate.

CharlesStreetPantryCafe

Bento: Economical Japanese

by xuessium Written Dec 19, 2008

There are now plenty of varieties of food in Launceston. I remembered the era of the Italian back in 2001 vividly.

I found this little Japanese place in a block of food courts pass the Cinema, manned by a young team of Asians, likely to be students studying in Launceston. The price is right (a dinner bento of 3 items with rice is just about A$13) and the menu is decent.

The food is not exactly 100% authentic because the soy sauce used is definitely the Chinese styled ones but for a good serving size at a reasonable price, I'm not at all complaining.

Favorite Dish: Just pick the combo you like. Lunch is also available at almost A$7.

Bento
    • Singles

• xuessium's Profile Photo

GPO Cafe: Cafe inside the grand GPO Building!

by xuessium Updated Dec 19, 2008

The General Post Office Building in Launceston is one of Launceston's more readily identifiable landmarks. Built in 1889, the building is an early and fine example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architectural design. An example of the work of Tasmanian Government Architect W. Eldridge, the building is Tasmania's most architecturally advance post office of the nineteenth century. It is most famous for its unique round clock tower.

I came here in 2001 when it was under another name. Then, the old building had been tenderly restored and housed souvenir stalls and restaurants. It was here I took a stop for lunch with my friends and found the idea of injecting new life into old buildings in such a manner refreshing.

I returned in 2008. The Postreos Cafe has been renamed (probably under new ownership) and went by a simple "GPO Cafe"....serving a leaner and simpler list of dishes. The Post Office is also back....now occupying a portion of the Building.

GPOCafe
    • School Holidays

Pickled Evenings: Pick an evening for Indian

by xuessium Written Dec 19, 2008

I actually saw this restaurant being featured in the Tiger Airways in-flight magazine but didn't pay any more attention to it till I saw it when I moved from the Star Hotel to Fiona's B&B...since the restaurant is also located along George Street.

Still think it's a crazy name for a restaurant but there is nothing crazy about the food. Hearty Indian food, served, in a somewhat festive glitzy-dazzy place - the ceiling was raining shiny glimmering red and gold streamers, almost as if there were fireworks, while a young team of polite, attentive and efficient waiters and waitresses go about their chores in smart black. Definitely not your usual Indian restaurant set-up! No banana leaves here folks....and certainly no eating with your hands. Indian food, given a mighty western wash.

Favorite Dish: The Vindaloo Prawn turned out majestic. I was so afraid that the dish would be compromised but the first mouthful of fiery heat assured me that no such pish-tosh have been entertained. I had chosen cumin rice to go with the prawns and the fluffy rice went well with the fragrant dish. My only complaint - the serving was too small for something that cost me close to A$20.

Had a Mango Lassi to wash it all down - and again, true to taste.

The food is certainly worth having a go....but go with some friends, so that you can sample more dishes...as it is still my opinion, that the serving sizes could be more generous.

PickledEvenings
    • Business Travel

• Intrepidduck's Profile Photo

various: Launceston: Cafe Culture

by Intrepidduck Updated Apr 7, 2006

The central area of Launceston for a long time now has had a great range of places to eat to rival Hobart. There are also several good coffee houses and espresso bars in down town Launceston. Some have come and gone while a few have remained firmly the best choice.

Favorite Dish: I was recomended Pantry Espresso, by one of it's former baristas, and after a couple of weeks on the West Coast it was a treat to have real good coffee once again in my veins. For almost as long as Launceston has been around Croplines Coffee Roasters in Brisbane Arcade has done this town a good service. A couple of new establishments can be found out at the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery - Inveresk.

Caffeine fix in Launceston

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Jailhouse Grill: Dinner Behind Bars...

by ATXtraveler Written Sep 3, 2005

Keeping with the theme of Launceston and Tasmania, we decided to have dinner at the Jailhouse Grill. Settled as a penal colony, alot of Tassie tourist spots are catering to the historical nature of this big island jail!

The Jailhouse Grill is a nice place to grab an inexpensive steak without the crazy cellmate trying to steal your food!

The concept here is pretty simple, you can grab a steak, chicken dish, or a couple other specials as a main and get all you can eat salad and pastas while you wait. You could also just purchase the salad bar as a meal, or if you are an expert like my wife and her father... you could figure out the best method!

Their method was to order the smaller entree size, which was normally 8-10 AUD less expensive, and add the salad bar for about 4.95... thereby saving at least 3 dollars!

Jailhouse Grill

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Stillwater: Stillwater by the flowing Esk

by ATXtraveler Written Sep 3, 2005

On a beautiful sunny day in downtown Launceston, it is almost a requirement to go down by the docks and sit in the sunshine with a freshly brewed cup of coffee.

The place I would recommend would be Stillwater, an upscale dining establishment at night, and a wonderful outdoor cafe by day.

The proprietor is a busy man, working on the menu for the evening, while also being the barista in the morning. If his food is half as good as his coffee was, you will be in for a palatable experience!

Stillwater

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

Jailhouse Grill: A Good Value in Launceston!

by saraheg77 Written Sep 1, 2005

We decided to try the Jailhouse Grill and had a good experience. The salad bar was pretty good - there were a couple of choices of pasta, a veggie dish, and several salads. The main meals were pretty good and included salad bar for around $20 or you could get an entree sized meal plus salad for aroun $15.

The staff was friendly and there was a lot of food for your money. I can't say the quality of the food was top-notch, but it was decent and a good value.

Favorite Dish: Small Sitting Duck , although this only came in one size, so there wasn't a chance to buy the entree version and add the salad bar. With all the salads and veggies on the salad bar, an entree sized meal was more than enough to fill us up!

In the Jailhouse Grill

Instant Answers: Launceston

Comments

Launceston Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Launceston restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Launceston sightseeing.