Launceston Shopping

Best Rated Shopping in Launceston

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

The Mill Providore and Gallery: Tassie Kitsch all in one place!

by ATXtraveler Written Sep 3, 2005

The Mill Providore and Gallery

Ritchie's Mill was opened in the 1840's as a water driven flour mill. As times and technologies changed, the need for the mill was no longer on the forefront. Luckily enough for this building though, it is all about location!

Located now in its place is a nice little community of shops and restaurants for you to enjoy. The Mill Providore and Gallery provides you with Tasmanian food and art products, and has a pretty extensive collection. We looked at Tasmanian Honey, salsa, beer, liquor, handmade art and crafts, and a large selection of cheeses and chocolates. I could definitely live in that store for a couple weeks, NO Calls!

What to buy: Tasmanian Items

What to pay: $1 - $1000's.... depending if you want chocolates or art.

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Brisbane Street "The Mall" & The Quadrant: The shopping arteries

by xuessium Written Dec 19, 2008
    BrisbaneStreet&TheQuadrant

Most of shopping activities are centred around Brisbane Street Mall and The Quadrant, both within walking distances from each other. The main departmental stores, MYERS, target & Best & Less are all located here....along with boutiques, bookstores, restaurants, cafes and banks.

Be-warned: It's NOT the world's biggest shopping area...afterall, Launceston is not a city at all, despite being Tassie's second largest town, after Hobart.

The other main shopping area will be the Kmart up at the Northeast part of the city, near Racecourse Crescent.

What to buy: As ABBA sings..."money money money"

What to pay: As ABBA sings..."money money money"

• Women's Travel

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

Clock Wise Tasmania

by sirgaw Written Jun 4, 2014

Former Australian Prime Minister Paul Keating would just love to visit this shop full of clocks of various sizes, ages and prices – although I seem to remember that Paul liked antique French clocks – and these seemed to be available too.

Our first contact was not awe inspiring as we’d seen a sign on the door, ‘CLOSED.’ Although we could see someone sitting at a counter inside the shop, we were about to walk away when a woman walked along the footpath and just entered. Through the window we saw her go behind the same counter as the seated man. We decided to follow – “Excuse us but are you open?” “Yes we are,” with a quizzical look. “The sign said ‘closed’ so we were about to go away.”

Once all that was sorted out we spent about 20 minutes or so admiring clocks, watches of all shapes and sizes – until I spotted IT. IT was so totally out of place that IT stood out like a sore thumb and I could not help but laugh my head off. I really wanted to buy IT, but I could tell by the look on SWMBO’s face that IT would not be welcomed in our home. I found out IT would have cost $70 and was very, very close to parting with my money – You’ll see IT.in the photos, and maybe you can decide if IT would be a good addition to your home –LOL

I was about to leave and I’m sure the couple behind (pun intended) the counter may have preferred that option when I spotted a real treasure. I immediately made the decision that it would be a great way of showing off my grandfathers gold retirement watch given to him in 1944 in UK. That pocket watch has been ‘living’ in a sock for safe keeping and now proudly graces a glass cabinet – see Sir Gaw does have at least some style.

BTW if anyone ever asks you what a HOROLOGIST does: 'It is one who makes, repairs or deals with timepieces' - I just had ti make time to give you that information!

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Launceston

Comments

Launceston Shopping

Reviews and photos of Launceston shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Launceston sightseeing.