Narawntapu National Park Travel Guide

Copperhead's idea of lunch
    Pademelon on the track

Narawntapu National Park Things to Do

by iandsmith Written Nov 25, 2011

A ten minute hike through low, wind blasted heath takes you to spectacular 360 degree views over Bakers and Badger Beaches, Springlawn and Port Sorrel.
    On the return trek I tried to complete the Springlawn Loop Track but it was in vain as large pools of water now lay across the track in several places so I returned from whence I came, taking time to see some ferocious ants killing a dragonfly.
    Still, in one day’s walk I had seen more wombats and pademelons than I’d seen in my entire life.

Springlawn panorama Water, water, everywhere Dragonfly under attack from ants
    • Photography

by iandsmith Written Nov 25, 2011

But I wanted a picture of a frog because I could hear them and, suddenly, there was one right in front of me, barely moving, legs akimbo. The other end of him was firmly entrenched in the jaws of a copperhead. Actually, it was a toad.
    There was a time when I was young when I would have scarpered at a rate I can only reminisce about these days. Knowledge had taught me not to be afraid and I started shooting, remembering a time when I’d come across a large goanna with a baby wallaby in its throat and I’d stuffed those shots up. This time I had equipment and experience on my side. On a couple of occasions I had to prod the snake with my tripod to entice him to move to a better position, a use not mentioned in the tripod manual, and eventually got enough shots to satisfy my wants.
    I reached the hide which is so typical of such things. Great hide, no birds. Well, not unless you count half a dozen swans and a lone grebe; so I decided to continue on the Archers Knob Track and, after half an hour, it suddenly ascended.

Copperhead eating toad Bush flowers swamp view Eastern ringtail damselfly Pademelon on the track

by iandsmith Updated Nov 25, 2011

These tips are from my notes at the time:
    The fickle weather had seen the low clouds break up and the wind moderate a little so I left the prolific bird life to their own and headed off to Narawntapu (that’s all right, I couldn’t pronounce it either) National Park where I was assured the NPWS office actually was. Though only a couple of kms as the crow flies it is a half hour drive around the estuary to get there and the office was closed anyway.
    I decided to do the Springlawn Nature Walk and thus tick my 19th box on the excellent “60 Great Short Walks” brochure. It goes to a bird hide deep in a swamp. It says it “meanders through a paper bark swamp forest along a raised boardwalk”. Turns out the total length of the boardwalk is around 50 metres of the 700 and it’s a sandy but firm trail where wildlife abounds, or should I say “bounds”, because Tasmanian pademelons were everywhere. By day’s end I’d lost count but I saw well over 30, some tarrying on the trail until you were only metres away before thumping off through indiscernible tunnels in the underbrush.

Start of Springlawn and Archers Knob walks Wombat on the trail Crossing the swamp Silvereye
    • Birdwatching

Narawntapu National Park Favorites

by iandsmith Written Dec 9, 2011

Favorite thing: Once you get there it's the accessibility of things in the area. Many of the walks are flat and on sand, boardwalks or grass.
    The thing that really got to me was the amount of wildlife though. Wombats, wallabies, birds and dragonflies everywhere.

Fondest memory: Nothing will ever beat seeing the snake eating the frog but standing on top of Archers Knob certainly came close. The panoramic picture just doesn't do it justice for the view over Bass Strait is well worth the walk.

Copperhead's idea of lunch Panorama from Springlawn Silvereye Wombat at Springlawn Eastern ringtail damselfly
    • Photography

Instant Answers: Narawntapu National Park

Comments

Narawntapu National Park Travel Guide
Map of Narawntapu National Park