Port Huon Restaurants

my fave is the beef stir fry with vegies
    by AusPinay
  • Reasonably priced meals and friendly staff
    Reasonably priced meals and friendly...
    by AusPinay
    My son loves the honey chicken.

Most Recent Restaurants in Port Huon

Petty Sessions Gourmet Cafe: Great Scallop Pies

by AusPinay Written Jul 19, 2013
    famous tasty scallop pie w/ chips & salad

One thing that will strike you when you enter the place is the great modern and artistic decor as there are lots of art pieces- paintings and sculptures all over the place especially in the foyer.

There are several seating options too- outside to enjoy the views of the Huon River in Franklin, couches near the fireplace or window -street view or the usual table and chairs for couples or groups.

The gourmet cafe is known for its scallop pies and they are truly tasty and substantial as they are served with salad and chips.

There are also choices for various sandwiches, burgers and other dishes. I heard the menus change with the seasons so we shall try their winter menu soon!

Ambience is great too and there's some soft music playing. So it is up to one's preference if they like to hear music while eating too. Views outside are great so you can not go wrong dining here. A bit pricey, but make it as a special occasion dining option.

Favorite Dish: My fave is the scallop pie served with a tomato relish, chips and salad and also the burgers that come in freshly baked thick bread. The ingredients are fresh and locally grown too and you can taste this freshness. My husband shared between us each of our orders as they are big serves. His drink- a local ale was also good.

Ebony's cafe: Quick & tasty brekky

by AusPinay Written May 11, 2013

Ebony's cafe is a tiny cafe in the heart of Huonville, locally owned and nicely located near other shops.

The food is simple- brekky includes bacon, eggs, toast, pies, pancakes and other sandwiches a nd hot foods for take aways. Coffee is not so bad but could be better.

Favorite Dish: Pancakes were good and there are choices of various sandwiches which are all very good!

China Cafe: Chinese food with a Tassie twist

by AusPinay Updated Apr 15, 2013
    my fave is the beef stir fry with vegies

This place is a typical average Chinese restaurant except the staff is mostly Australians so the food is tailored to the locals who are mostly Anglo-Saxons. Hence the meals are mild, not so strong flavour but still got the Chinese touch.

The staff are friendly as most Tasmanians we've met so far. The food is reasonably priced, generous portions, except for the rice which is not as much as the dish and we wish they give more rice for their rice and dish combination which are priced from around $8.50 for the usual honey chicken and rice, stir fry beef and rice, etc..and a bit higher for the seafood dishes.

The meals are served fast, nicely balanced with fresh vegies so they are quite nourishing. Also, they ask you what kind of spiciness you like so you can choose mild or spicy or tell them how you liked your food cooked. But the best part is, you know the ingredients are fresh and local.

Special Features- Wheelchair access
    Ambience -Relaxed
    Payment Options- Cash only
    Seats 30
    Parking- ample parking

Favorite Dish: I always order the beef and vegies stir fry as you never know what vegies will be used in every order. My boys the sweet and sour pork. But the honey chicken is also good. They also serve nice Chinese tea so not a bad place to get a meal that is filling and tasty. But we've tasted much better at other gourmet Asian restaurants so expect to get what you pay for!

Hastings Cave Visitor Centre: Quick and hearty meal

by AusPinay Written Apr 7, 2013
    nicely prepared toasted sandwiches here

It was a bit early for us for the 2:15 guided tour of the cave so o we decided to have a quick lunch at the cafe where reasonably priced meals are available.

We ordered the iconic National pies and chunky beef pie and cheese, tomato and ham toasted sandwich for my youngest. Coffee was also great according to my husband while I enjoyed my Earl Grey tea,. Youngest had green tea which was unusually served with milk.

The best part of this place is the friendly staff and overall fast service.

Another feature of the place is that every table is inlaid with an insect or a bug which is a good ice breaker while waiting for your order.

Favorite Dish: Coffee and the toasted sandwich were really good. They are also reasonably priced and good portion so you are not left hanging.

The Bar at the Kermandie Hotel: Dining with a view

by AusPinay Written Mar 11, 2013
    pub food at the Kermandie's bar

Ambience is so informal, it is a pub but no loud noise or rowdy people when we were there so it was a pleasant surprise.

Across the marina, this place is good for a quick bite especially if you're hungry or just wanting a drink and some light food. Staff is very friendly and of course the locals who frequent the place are always very friendly! Pub food here is slightly more presentable than a lot of pubs we've been to in Sydney. It is also a welcome gesture for the pub to offer finger foods like dimsims, mini pies and sausage rolls while waiting for your order.

Favorite Dish: We like the smoked lamb slices with mushrooms, the beef burger which was a substantial size and came with beetroot and it was great that it was grilled. not fried. It came with salad and chunky chips so not so fatty. The fish and chips were also good according to the boys, fish fresh & nicely cooked =, chips were crunchy and not so oily. They use fresh ingredients and the presentation of the food is simple but appetising.

The Cafe/ Trading Post: Post Office and Cafe

by AusPinay Updated Mar 2, 2013
    best scallop pies in town

Scallops pies are the best here, so are the other types of pies they have! We also love the fact that this is a post office too and we pick our mails from this shop! They are well stocked with lots of basic goods for the locals or travelling tourists or truckies!

It is usually a popular pit stop for many motorists travelling along the Huon Highway, gateway to many other attractions in the area.

There is ample seating, a good number of tables with a variety of seatings- from four above. Mothers with young kids are catered for with a play area for the little ones. There's a cosy fireplace to provide a haven for the cold winters.

Coffee is great and the staff are always friendly and accommodating. The added bonus is easy access for disabled with a ramp at one side of the cafef/shop. You will also see a notice board of events and other local matters advertised.

Favorite Dish: scallops pies and great capuccino

The pies are award winning and you will see the numerous awards from various events and organisations. They use fresh ingredients and are always welcoming despite the place being busy often.

Masaaki's at Geeveston: Gourmet Sushi at its Best

by AusPinay Updated Mar 2, 2013
    lovely and refreshing miso soup-has beetroot even

The food is what makes the place so special - sushi of about 6 varieties or more but using the freshest produce..even the wasabi is amazingly fresh, not the bought one! ( I learned later on in their Facebook page that Masaaki plants his own wasabi and other vegie ingredients.

The miso soup is also refreshing- with a recipe from the talented Sushi Chef Masaaki ( I tasted potatoes, carrots, beetroot and my fave green onions, really delectable!

While waiting for our order, I sawhis photo at the tiny shop with Iron Chef French Hiroyuki Sakai too!

It is a breath of fresh air, reminds me of our sojourn to Japan (Tokyo, Hakone, Mt. Fujiyama, etc.) and brings back memories of our blissful Japanese holiday in 2008!

If you cannot go to their shop at Geeveston, Masaaki has a stall at the Fresh food markets in Hobart most Sundays.

Favorite Dish: I love the miso, vegetarian sushi and Inari sushi are great for me! You can taste the freshness indeed!

Instant Answers: Port Huon

Comments

Port Huon Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Port Huon restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Port Huon sightseeing.