Places to eat in State of Tasmania

Most Viewed Restaurants in State of Tasmania

• tropicrd's Profile Photo

The Drunken Admiral: Great seafood

by tropicrd Updated May 8, 2012

The Drunken Admiral is an iconic restaurant in Hobart,it has been operating since 1979 and is still as popular as ever.
    It is renowned for it's fresh seafood but offers dishes such as steak for non-seafood eaters.
    The atmosphere is just wonderful with maritime memorabilia in every nook and cranny.
    My husband and I go there every time we visit family in Hobart town and have never been disappointed.
    Check out the Dead man's Gold museum upstairs,it has pirates and all--lot's of fun.
    Last time we were there the Drunken Admiral nearly killed me!!!!he fell off his perch and it took five men to pick him up and carry him away.Anyway I am alive to tell the tale and have the pics to share.
    It is more expensive than other places but well worth it just for the atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: The fish stew was my favourite dish,absolutely chock full of seafood and cooked to perfection.My husband enjoyed the scallops and whatever else he had,he needed a bib to eat it..

Hamilton Bakehouse: Pies from heaven

by iandsmith Written Dec 23, 2011

This seemingly nondescript place in the middle of an almost nondescript village might surprise you by the number of people coming and going.
    The attraction inside is arguably Australia's best pie, or pies. I was tipped off about this place and went to try it. As soon as the baker gets the pies out they're sold which is even more surprising when you realise that they cost about twice as much as you'll pay anywhere else in Australia but, as I've always said, "Make a better pie and they'll beat a path to your door".
    That's exactly what's happening here and, from personal experience, I can tell you that they are as good as any pie I've had anywhere. Treat yourself, you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Dish: Pies, pies and more pies (but they do have cakes as well).

• Seniors

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Closed: Soup - encore please!

by iandsmith Updated May 13, 2011

Whilst deliberating whether or not to go up in a sightseeing plane we ventured across the road to this attractive looking restaurant and, after a menu surveillance, chose the soup. Vegetable as I recall.
    While we waited we could view the bay and tourist activity of waterfront windblown Strachan, a somewhat normal condition for this part of the world.

Favorite Dish: Our favourite dish? Vegetable soup. So impressed were we that after we finished our epic plane ride we immediately went back across the road for a follow up......and it tasted even better. Sorry, that's not really possible, it was so good the first time.

How sad, on our next visit this place had closed. Hopefully someone else will take over in the future - I'll keep you posted.
    In the meantime you could try out the pie shop just a few doors down, you can't miss it.

Rosevears: Great view of the Tamar valley

by TheAndos Updated Apr 4, 2011

Visit Rosevears Estate and sample their wine and friendly service. We also had lunch at the restaurant (dinner was not available then but they hoped to offer it in the future). There is also accommodation.

We had the chardonnay tasting plate - a small piece of Atlantic slamon with peach, pear and chardonnay reduction; mushroom and beetroot risotto, a tart of quail and ricotta. This was served with 3 x 50ml white wines. Bread with olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper. Excellent.

• Rachelynn's Profile Photo

Fish Frenzy: Fish & Chips!

by Rachelynn Updated Apr 4, 2011

I lurve the fish and chips here! Absolutely delicious! It is located at the Sullivan cove and it overlooks the consitution dock. If the weather is not so chilly, sit outside and enjoy the evening view.

Favorite Dish: What can i said? Battered Fish & Chips. =)

• Business Travel

• al2401's Profile Photo

Daniel Alps at Strathlynn: Fine Dining Aussie style!

by al2401 Updated Mar 15, 2010

For fine dining in Tasmania you can't go past Daniel Alps at Strathlynn. Daniel Alps, one of Tasmania's top chefs, prides himself on the quality of his ingredients sourced form local and organic suppliers. There is a choice of meat and seafood and vegetarian and srpcial dietary needs are catered for.

Your meal is supplemented by wine from Pipers Brook Vineyard and Ninth Island which you can buy by the glass. The wines are are available through cellar door sales as is wine tasting - taste before you dine.

The restaurant is in a perfect location - in the middle of a vineyard and has beautiful views over the Tamar River. You can enjoy your meal indoors and outdoors and also experience a cooking class.

The style of food can only be described as contemporary Australian. For three courses you will pay about $70 Australian which is good for fine dining.

Open for lunch, noon - 3pm each day

Favorite Dish: I had a Tasmanian Atlantic Salmon starter and a Lamb main - can't remember exactly the name of the dishes but can remember the flavour. The meals were perfectly cooked.

• Wine Tasting

• al2401's Profile Photo

The Drunken Admiral: Drunk with Admirals?! - Hic!

by al2401 Written Mar 14, 2010

Fresh local seafoods cooked to perfection - International dishes - accompainied by choice Tasmanian wines. Meals are are available for Non-Seafood lovers.

The restaurant is in an 1820's warehouse and has nostalgic nautical decor.

Price average compared to seafood restaurants in Hobart.

Favorite Dish: Mussels in White Wine and Garlic - served with cutlery but once the staff realised I knew how to eat mussles out came the bib and finger bowl - I even had other patrons doing the same thing!

Hallam's Waterfront: On the water in Launceston

by TheAndos Updated Apr 21, 2008

Walk the gorge and have lunch here. There is a lovely view of the river towards the gorge. Grilled prawns with lemongrass risotto and grilled Trevalla, sauteed new poratoes and cucumber. Good service but extra charged for credit cards.

Peppermint Bay: Worth the drive - south of Hobart

by TheAndos Written Apr 18, 2008

We ate in the bar but there is a lovely restaurant downstairs and an open plan kitchen. Plus a shop/deli. Great food - Mussel in chilli and chorizo, Scallop & Salmon Pie, just two of the dishes available.

Book or on a weekend get there early to get a table.

• popsdonkeys's Profile Photo

Angasi: Best views, best food, best price

by popsdonkeys Updated Feb 26, 2008

Angasi has the most amazing views of the beautiful Bay of Fires. It is situated in the little town of Binalong Bay just north of St Helens. The ambiance of the restaurant is also great, but the best part is the food, it was really good value and also the nicest food we have ever had. It was all extremely fresh quality local ingredients and dont forget to try the Desserts as they were also fantastic, I recommend that anyone travelling down the east coast of Tassie must stop at Binalong bay and experience the amazing food and amazing views it has to offer.

The Deck: As the example says - Don't miss the Fresh Seafood

by iandsmith Written Feb 1, 2008

Rosemarie and I had been lamenting how the quality of food wasn't quite as good as our previous visit when we had been so impressed generally.
    Rosemarie had left early and was home a fortnight before I caught the Tasmanian Princess home and, early on the day of my departure I rode past a place with a $10 special on fish and chips with drink and thought I might give it a try just before I sailed.
    That was how I found myself at The Deck in Devonport.
    I really wanted a place to chill out for an hour or so where I could plug my computer into so in I went and ordered the special. Well, it wasn't only the price that was special, the beer battered fish was superb, equal to the freshest I'd ever tasted.

Favorite Dish: So, obviously the fish was quality but then I ordered the panna cotta dessert. Talk about a complement to the fish. I was drooling before I ever put the spoon into it! Then, it tasted as good as it looked.
    I can honestly state that when I go back to Tassie I will definitely make a point of eating here.
    In fact, the place is so good that chef has even written a book (available on the premises) on some of his recipes.
    A gourmet's delight (and I enjoyed it too).

• Wine Tasting
    • Seniors

Possum's Nest: Country cooking

by iandsmith Updated Feb 1, 2008

When it comes to rustic, this place is the definition. Sandwiched on the bank of a stream between it and the main road this place looks hand built and is. A ramshackle wooden house converted into an arts and crafts eating establishment. Where else do you walk through the kitchen to get to your table?
    Outside, atop the grassy riverbank there's a couple of atmospheric sheds and a few farm implements scattered around.
    We loved it, couldn't get enough of it. Sitting on the, for want of a better name, balcony, overlooking the platypus laden stream on a balmy May day reading the "visitors remarks" book will be one of the highlights of your Tasmanian experience.
    I wrote that opening in 1996, by 2008 the original owners had left it and it was deserted for two years until its current owners turned up and completely revamped it in a most tasteful manner. Today it has a more clean and updated sparkle to it and is even more popular than before.

Favorite Dish: That will then be surpassed by the food. Dare I say, the usual Tassie gourmet style made with only the freshest ingredients by a caring couple. Oooooh , I'm salivating as I write!

• Travel with Pets

• lesaandbill's Profile Photo

Mt Elephant Pancake Barn: Cool Cafe

by lesaandbill Written Jun 29, 2006

What a find. Because we arrived early in the morning from the Spirit of Tasmania...and it was Good Friday...there was hardly anything opened...and we found this place. This was on the road from Devonport to Swansea via Coles Bay. There's an area called Elephant Pass...and this place was located right off the road. They have a ton of signs...so you can't miss it.

It's an american guy...who married an aussie woman...and the place is a quaint wooden barn with picnic table styled eating...with tassie hospitality. The pancakes are your typical american, big fluffy pancakes...but more like french crepes. And they were incredible!!

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken and broccoli and cheese...and Bill had the brie and blueberry and chicken...both were excellent. Then...we both had the famous drink...liquour and coffee...which they had a ton of...so leave room for coffee!

• lesaandbill's Profile Photo

Angasi Restaurant: Overlooking Bay of Fires

by lesaandbill Written Jun 29, 2006

what a cool spot. It's a restaurant on top of the hill...right off the main road which overlooks bay of fires. It has a cool atmosphere...with a trendy spin...and the food looked great. We were headed back home...and didn't have time to stop...but they have takeaway...if you want to take something for a picnic on the beach...

• bijo69's Profile Photo

The Hungry Wombat Café: Great Breakfast

by bijo69 Written Jan 6, 2006

If you're going to Lake St. Clair do stop in Derwent Bridge if you're hungry! The portion here are huge! Went there for breakfast and it was one of my best on the whole trip!!!!
    The Café belongs to the local petrol station so don't expect a great interior.

Favorite Dish: Pancakes with blueberries :).

• Beer Tasting

2 Reviews - 7 Photos
Fingal Hotels
Derby Hotels

Instant Answers: State of Tasmania

Comments

State of Tasmania Restaurants

Reviews and photos of State of Tasmania restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for State of Tasmania sightseeing.
Map of State of Tasmania