Strahan Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Strahan

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

Bushman's Bar and Café

by sirgaw Written Jun 2, 2014

We had wanted to eat in the near-by fish and chip café – which was packed out - and except for the expensive pub, nothing else seemed to be open. Seems the town almost shuts down for winter and having experienced just a little of the conditions, I can understand why.

It was the bright lights of the Bushman’s Bar and Café that gleamed through the rain and so after a quick scan of the menu posted outside the café, we decided to enter and warm up – and very glad we did.

I looked around to see what other diners were eating and I noticed the serving sizes were quite generous, so we ordered a drink each and then made our choice at the bar cum everything else servery. The guy behind the bar was particularly pleasant and welcoming.

Most of the food on offer seemed to be what I describe as ‘wet dishes’ – that is stews, curries and the like. I should say there is absolutely nothing wrong with a good old stew/curry. Our meals came quite quickly after we’d ordered. Prices were very reasonable, with mains around $18.

We then enjoyed one of each of the desserts on offer and they were great.

I had made a visit to the loo and while there I met a young man who was dressed in shorts and wearing beach type sandals. It was really cold outside and when I returned to our table I pointed out the guy to Lady Gaw, who shivered in disbelief. We struck up a conversation with an English couple who, like us, were doing a tour of parts of magnificent Tassie.

All up another great find, the Bushman’s Bar and Café the outdoor deck of which was deserted – and with rain pelting down I wondered why – LOL. I would think it would be a popular destination in the warmer months overlooking the expanse of the Macquarie Harbour and the boats moored along the waterfront across the street from the café.

• Seniors

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

Hamer's Hotel Bar & Grill: One of a few Open Restaurants

by saraheg77 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dad & Mark outside Hamer's

This bar & grill seemed to us to be about the only restaurant opened in Strahan after 6pm in non-peak season. There were menus, but they didn't include the specials which were written above the counter... it annoyed me that you couldn't sit down and read the specials, so I ordered from the main menu.

The food was decent, but the service was below average. The lady who took our order took awhile to get it right and we couldn't get anyone to come by and bring us more water. But what can you do when no where else is open? :)

Favorite Dish: I can't even remember what I ate here, but I think it was a pasta dish that was fine. My mom had a vegetable fritata sort of thing that was pretty good.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Hamer's Hotel Bar and Grill: Downtown at the Hamer

by ATXtraveler Updated Apr 4, 2011

Strahan's Hamer Hotel

One of the few sit down restaurants in Strahan that was open in August was Hamer's Hotel Bar and Grill. It must be tough to get a real quality place to stay open there in a town of only 500 people, and it showed in the meal here.

I had one of the specials, the chili prawns and I was less than impressed. It was decent food, but the restaurant itself had zero ambiance, and the waitstaff was slow and for the most part incapable of working the register much less being good hosts.

I would definitely recommend eating elsewhere.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Banjo's: 2 for 1 Pizza after 5pm!

by ATXtraveler Updated Apr 4, 2011

Strahan Banjo's

With Strahan being such a small town, some businesses that focus on morning goods such as bread, coffee, and juices for customers about to get on a day cruise need ways to keep business coming in until closing time.

Since the cruise comes in around 3pm, Banjo's makes a special meal deal a couple hours later hoping that people will come in for dinner before they close after shopping in the local stores.

At 5pm, they offer 2 for 1 pizza specials, which is a pretty good deal considering they are $19 AUD a piece. I guess they could just make the price 11 or 12 dollars and not have to run the deal!

Oh well, play the game and place your order at exactly 5pm and enjoy!

Favorite Dish: The pepperoni pizza was really good!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Banjos: Waterfront tastings

by iandsmith Written Feb 22, 2011
    Banjos is on the right of Hamers

Banjos is a chain of bakeries that can be found in many towns throughout Australia and it's good to see that you can get a reasonable pie here; at least tourists can get to sample some real Aussie tucker!

Favorite Dish: I tried the scallop pie. It's nice but I certainly would rate it above many other pies I've eaten throughout Australia thought it's definitely in the top half.

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

Banjo's Bakehouse: A great spot for coffee & a snack

by saraheg77 Written Sep 25, 2005

Dad, Mom & Mark having a coffee

Banjo's was one of the few places open in Strahan before we went on our 9am cruise. It is a great spot to get a coffee and pastry for breakfast... or they have a full breakfast. Also, if you are hungry when you get back, there is a special 2 for 1 pizza deal after 5pm - but they close at 6, so get there early if you want to have dinner here!

Favorite Dish: We had a chicken pizza that was really tasty! They had a nice selection of pizzas that all sounded good!

• xuessium's Profile Photo

The Fish Cafe: What the fish?

by xuessium Written Jul 15, 2005

Don't need me to tell you what this place serves right? (grin) It's a fish-&-chips joint, duh. Nothing much in the way of decor. They do try to go for a maritime look that made the place looked like ship trying to get its way into a kitchen. Nonetheless, still a good place to grab a quick bite (or if you are a big lover of fish) and a drink.

They serve hamburgers, souvlakis and ice-cream as well and they cater to takeaways too.

Favorite Dish: I had the fish & chips. Not too bad, just a tad oily. But the fish definitely tasted fresh.

• School Holidays

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Hamers Grill: Surf & Turf overlooking the harbour

by xuessium Updated Jul 15, 2005

It was just 1 night in Strahan so me & my mate decided to treat ourselves to a good dinner at this far end of Tasmania. Where better than the Hamers Grill at the Hamer Hotels on the Esplanade? We managed to catch a table next to the window and we had the view of the harbour (and the gathering storm clouds) as a companion. Wonderful! The entire place was done up in wood with a fireplace, so it was quite charming. Service was warm and the food served reasonably quickly. It was delicious as well. The place was packed at dinnertime, so there was plenty of chatter in the air.

Favorite Dish: I had the surf & turf. Not too bad and not too expensive as well!

• School Holidays

Instant Answers: Strahan

Comments

Strahan Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Strahan restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Strahan sightseeing.