Ballarat Restaurants

• cjg1's Profile Photo

City Oval: Good Pub Lunch

by cjg1 Updated May 15, 2013

Steak Sandwich

City Oval is a pub/restaurant that was located right next to our hotel in Ballarat. We arrived rather hungry that day and decided to grab some lunch after our walk around the lake. The interior is quite spacious with a large bar area, dining rooms and a seperate area for private functions.

We arrived around 1pm when the lunch crowd was getting into full swing. The hostess brought us to a table and handed us menus. Menu had the typical pub grub fare: fish and chips, steak sandwiches, etc. We chose one of the lunch specials which was a steak sandwich with chips and a glass of beer, wine or soda included. I placed our order at the bar and brought the numbered plaque back to our table along with our drinks.

We were very impressed at the interior decor with nice dark wood and richly colored walls. This is the kind of place I would like to transport home with me so I could enjoy it on a regular basis. Our food arrived about 15 minutes after we ordered. The portions were a nice size. The steak sandwiches came topped with cheese, lettuce and a tomato onion relish along with some chips. The meat was rather tasty and I quite enjoyed the tangy relish on top. This was a nice, filling meal and we were very happy with our choice of entree.

Service here is good, decor is inviting and cozy and the food is good. I was glad we stopped in here for lunch.

Favorite Dish: The steak sandwich was very good and tasty; one of the best I had on this trip.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Heritage Bar and Restaurant:The George Hotel: Looked Better than it Tasted

by cjg1 Updated Jan 25, 2013

Ready for our meal (November 2012)

My wife and I had walked by the Historic George Hotel earlier in the day and decided to come back here for a nice dinner. From the get go we loved the interior of the place and the friendly bar man who greeted us as we entered. The area is divided up into the bar and the dining room that has a more upscale feel to it.

We had a seat in their dining area and checked out the food offering on the menu. The menu had some typical pub fare such as: Fish & Chips and Burgers but also had more substantial fare such as steaks. Despite having had a steak sandwich that day for lunch at another establishment; we decided to order it again for dinner. The description sounded mouth watering: Roasted tomato, cheddar cheese, bacon,bearnaise sauce accompanied with onion rings and chips. Yum indeed!

As we waited for our food and enjoyed our drinks; we watched other patrons food orders come to their tables. Everything looked very tasty. Our food arrived about 15 minutes later and looked very good. The chips were good, the onion rings were good but the steak itself was blah. We ate very little of the meat but polished off the fries and rings. Maybe we just chose the wrong dish...

Despite our dissapointing meal; we had great service and loved the atmosphere.

Country Mouse: Vintage style homewares and Cafe

by Kate-Me Updated Apr 4, 2011

even the outside is a pleasant pastel shade

Country Mouse is a very interesting combination... when you're in the front of the store, it's the homewares that dominate, with quite a lot of vintage stuff, very nicely presented, and once out the back, it's the cafe you notice, very nicely presented (see cupcakes for example, which are bought about 3 times a week in Melbourne by the very dedicated owner who's very passionate about what she does).
    I believe they also hold small parties there as well, and do some catering.
    It's quite an amazing place...not too many people could make this kind of a specialty shop work in a small city like Ballarat, I believe.

Favorite Dish: While there with some fellow Ballarat Tourism volunteers, we sampled the coffee and scones and cream, which were lovely. (Didn't get to try the cupcakces...which are a bit expensive, but the presentation and the pastel coloured icings are lovely and I guess the cake transportation has to be taken into account).

Jade Inn Restaurant: Cheap and cheerful Chinese food

by Kate-Me Updated May 23, 2010

Jade Inn

This small, attractive yet simple restaurant serves has a combination of Malaysian and Chinese dishes.
    I highly recommend the lunch box specials - rice & 1 main meal - same as the dinner menu (minus seafood and some of the meats) but for only Aus $7.50
    The price is average for lunch box specials - just about all of Ballarat's approx 12 Chinese restaurants offer this - but Jade Inn seems to have the widest lunch special choices and the one I like the best. I think it's all in the special spicy sauces.

Favorite Dish: I recommend the combination meat dishes (especially if the huge range of choice leaves you unable to decide) My favorite is the combination with mongolian sauce.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Beechworth Bakery: Pass me another pie please

by iandsmith Updated Dec 28, 2006

As the name suggests, what you get here is pastries. Lots of pastries. Mouth watering pastries.
    They are delicious, a flow on from the original in Beechworth with a variety of pies and cakes to tempt even the most sensitive palate.
    The Beechworth Bakery Ballarat operates from the iconic 1850s Water Board Building on the corner of Grenville & Lewis streets.
    This is a large bakery, seating 200 people, and occupying approximately 400sqm of space. In addition there is plenty of car parking onsite and surrounding the building with great disabled access. Being located in the heart of the CBD also makes the bakery accessible to the many shoppers who frequent the area.

Favorite Dish: Though normally I would mention a pie, here I just love their apple squares. In fact, on the too few occasions when I get to visit a Beechworth outlet, I always grab a couple to take with me. Deeeeelicious.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Poritco Restaurant and Bar: Class with a capital C

by iandsmith Updated Dec 28, 2006

Class on Dana Street

Bay windows, classical exterior, sumptuous interior to match. This is the sort of place where you'd find the solicitors and barristers.
    Obviously you'll be paying more than the local takeaway but, can you afford not to dine here?
    This is a boasting-rights place where you can flaunt the fact that you've raised a fork in anger over the Angus.
    It seats around 100 or, for conferences, 300 standing.

• Seniors
    • Business Travel

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Hope Bakery: Traditional bakery at Sovereign Hill

by SWFC_Fan Updated Aug 13, 2006

Hope Bakery, Sovereign Hill

Hope Bakery is a traditional bakery located at Sovereign Hill, Ballarat's most famous tourist attraction.

Sovereign Hill is a living museum of an 1850s gold mining town. Costumed actors, horses and traditional shops and eating establishments give the "town" an authentic feel.

Hope Bakery is located in a small stone building on the muddy track known as Main Street, just a couple of minutes walk from the site's entrance and exit.

The interior of the bakery contains little in the way of decoration, with wooden counters and glass fronted displays housing the selection of cakes, pasties, sausage rolls and pies that customers can purchase there. The food is cooked in a traditional wood-fired oven and the serving staff wear costumes that are appropriate to the period.

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

Traditional Cornish Pasty - Cost: 3.80 AUD

A large pasty filled in one half with meat and potato and in the other half with apple sauce. Very tasty!!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

United States Hotel Bar: A beer at Sovereign Hill

by SWFC_Fan Updated Aug 13, 2006

United States Hotel Bar, Sovereign Hill

The United States Hotel Bar is a pub and restaurant located at Sovereign Hill, Ballarat's most famous tourist attraction.

Sovereign Hill is a living museum of an 1850s gold mining town, with shops and eating establishments appearing just as they would have done at that time, and actors in period costumes giving the "town" an authentic feel.

Upon entering the United States Hotel Bar from Main Street (a muddy track with horses and costumed actors abound), I was not altogether sure whether it was in fact an operating pub or just an exhibition. The interior is sparsely furnished with wooden stools, a wooden bar and decorations appropriate to the period, while the waitresses can be seen in 1850s style outfits.

I established that it was a "real" bar and took a modern menu from the waitress. You can choose from a selection of beers, wines and soft drinks. I opted for a draught Toohey's New (375ml) at a cost of 3.20 AUD.

In a room adjoining the bar is the United States Hotel dining room where you can choose from a special menu of hearty meals.

Pipers on the Parade: Coffee and cake by the Lake

by Kate-Me Written Oct 22, 2005

Recently the group of volunteers I work with at Ballarat Tourism and I took a familiarisation tour around Ballarat, and Pipers was one of our stops, to try out their Coffee and have morning tea.
    It was a beatiful winter sunny day, almost warm enough to sit out on the decking and look at the lake. The building is quite beautiful, in Edwardian style, and until most recently, was called The Pavillion.

Favorite Dish: We rather enjoyed our coffee and muffins and the service was good.
    Pipers is open every day, though I believe not in the evenings, as they also cater for functions.

Le Cafe: Crepes, Cakes, Coffee and Milkshakes

by Kate-Me Updated Oct 22, 2005

Le Cafe

Le Cafe, despite what its name suggests, isn't French. Unfortunately we don't have any French cafe or restaurant in Ballarat, even if right near this place we have a bakery called "The French Kitchen" (also not French).
    However, Le Cafe does serve a wide range of crepes (including the Aussie hawaiian - cheese, pineapple and ham - which I guess the French would call a Croque Monsieur on a crepe....;-)
    It's not over priced (compared to other non-French creperies I've seen, and I rather enjoyed my Hawaiian crepe.
    They also have French coffee syrups on hand which you can have in your coffee, and a range of ice creams which appear to be French, so it's a nice spot for a Francophile like myself.

Favorite Dish: I had a Blue Heaven milkshake as it's just about my favourite flavour, wherever I go in Australia.
    What's in it? I don't think it's blueberries. It's a pale blue in colour, tasting like a cross between vanilla and something else...but I don't know what else is in the syrup.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Assunta's: Quick Lunch Downtown

by ATXtraveler Written Sep 17, 2005

Assunta's Ballarat

As we only had a few minutes to prepare before meeting with the City Council, my co-worker and I decided to jump into a cafe along the way. Assunta's looked inviting, with the promise of a cheap quick bite to eat. I had the chicken caesar salad and a lemon squash, and true to form... it was quick and cheap. All together it was 12 AUD.

Nothing special, but it was right on time and in the right place. Check it out if you are strapped for time!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Sovereign Hill Dining

by keeweechic Written Mar 7, 2005

Sovereign Hill has a few places where you can get something to eat. The New York Bakery is in Main Street and there is also the Sovereign Hill Kiosk. Or if you are wanting something a little more then you can try the United States Hotel’s dining room.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

THE RED LION: A REALLY FRIENDLY PLACE

by BerniShand Updated Dec 13, 2004

that lion isnt red.....

This is a really friendly bar / restaurant, and the food is first class
    we originally stopped for breakfast which was great so we went back for dinner that night
    the portions are huge ! it was a real struggle to get through it all

we had dinner from the bar food menu, there is also a bistro restaurant which was very busy so if you visit at weekend then booking is definately recommended

there is a playground for children, and childrens menu

the Red Lion is part of the Soveriegn Park Motel

Favorite Dish: breakfast was great, but the pasta at dinner was fabulous !

Le Cafe: Crepes 2

by Kate-Me Written May 4, 2004

I've said that Le Cafe is not French, but it does have a nice look inside (especially all those cakes behind glass!) and I noticed some French bottles of Syrup on the counter, which you normally just don't see

Peter Lalor Hotel: Pub Meals and Restaurant Dining

by Kate-Me Written Jun 20, 2003

The Peter Lalor

The Peter Lalor is quite a typical Aussie pub, and is named after the most famous and well known historical figures involved in Ballarat's famous 1854 Eureka Stockade uprising.
    At the bar you can have basic 'Pub Grub' meals at reasonable prices (ie, sausages & bacon, ham steak & pineapple, steak) or more formal/varied dining in the dining room next door.
    And, there's live music Friday and Saturday nights from about 9.30. pm (usually no cover charge)

• Music

Instant Answers: Ballarat

Comments

Ballarat Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ballarat restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ballarat sightseeing.