Camberwell Travel Guide

Camberwell Restaurants

Quiet side street. 1 more image

by craic Written Jan 6, 2009

I could not believe my luck. In a side street so it is quiet.
    (In case you are not up with Melbourne iconography Brunettis is THE coffee and cake and chocolate place - just off Lygon Street.)
    I didn't know they had branches!
    So in I piles and I is tempted by the ciambella - which I have never tasted - but I choose the panzerotti vaniglia. Which is a bit of a disappointment actually. Tough on the outside and a bit of very sweet custard on the inside.
    It is hard to sort out what to do. JUST LIKE ITALY! scream!
    But you choose your cake, specify your coffee at the cake counter. The gel gives you your cake, and a ticket with a number.
    So over you go to the coffee counter and wait for your number to be called. Admiring the excellent photo on the back wall of Italian types quite a few years ago doing the stand up coffee thing.
    Thank goodness we don't have to do that here. Way too lazy.
    You can also admire the young Italian barista with the very cute accent hurling cups onto the counter just as if we were going to do the stand up Italian thing.
    No, mate. We don't do that in Australia. We sit down to drink our coffee.

So a great experience all round. Bit of culture clash going on. I had a problemo because girl at cake counter told me my number but she slurred or maybe I am deaf - I thought she said number 9 - which i loved because of the great Beatle song Day In The LIfe (number 9 number 9) but it was actually 59.

If I was feeling really lazy I would go to an Oz cafe and they would say - I'll bring it to you and I would say - I'll be outside. Smoking.

• alisonr's Profile Photo

by alisonr Written Jan 2, 2007

Beautiful decor, really up market, classy and great service and food.

Favorite Dish: To be honest I really really loved the champagne and Chocolate Frangelico Mousse I had for dessert! not that mains weren't brilliant, just the dessert really stuck in my mind!

• alisonr's Profile Photo

by alisonr Written Dec 28, 2006

A cafe style eatery with mainly Italian fare. Connected to a book shop and you can browse and sip coffee at the same time! Open for meals 7 days a week, with breakie available till 5pm.

Favorite Dish: I had the Warm Chicken salad and partner had the rump steak. Nice food, nothing glamorous about it.

Camberwell Shopping

My pretty brooch. 3 more images

by craic Updated Jan 16, 2010

Well, they are not all antiques. The stunning little tawdry bit of a brooch I picked up for 8 bucks was no way an antique.
    Nor was the bakelite ashtray I nearly invested in (decided to start collecting bakelite). But it was 39 bucks so I dithered and dithered. After`all mum was chucking out all her bakelite stuff 20 years ago. And so were all my aunties.
    Anyway it is a really lovely browse. It seemed to have everything, except Clarice Cliffe. Which surprised me. I love Clarice Cliffe china, but I have left it too late to start collecting her, unless I win Lotto.
    I am pretty sure it is an old cinema. And different dealers display their wares in the various glass cases.
    Lots and lots of stuff. Some of it suprisingly affordable. And all sorts of stuff. Probably the cream of the dealers crop, set up here to tempt you.
    I had an excellent time here and will return.

Not a thrifty shop.

by craic Updated Feb 6, 2009

Worst thrift shop in Melbourne.
    Well, at least, that I have discovered so far. I am not saying there aren't worse ones. Just I have not been to worse ones yet.
    It is set out quite invitingly, one must say, and smells quite clean (though I am a total sucker for that musty, toadstool, unwashed clothes smell. I can wash them when I get my treasures home.)
    But mercy mercy, the prices!!! They sent me reeling. And not as if the stuff was so great. Handpicked, top of the range, vintage, rare, specials. The stuff they had wasn't that great.
    I did find a Calvin Klein overcoat that amused me enough to consider it. 45 bucks!!!! in a thrift shop!!!! You are joking me!!!!
    It was very shabby, I like shabby, but I am not paying 45 bucks for shabby.
    I think the tip off was the rack marked Designer Gear.
    I am starting to understand that if a thrift shop does that they are not being egalitarian. Which is the point and purpose of a thrift shop.
    Target tat costs exactly the same of Sass And Bide.
    Anyway, they charge like wounded bulls, and they don't really have anything you want anyway.
    Be warned.

• Camberwell Hotels

0 Hotels in Camberwell

Instant Answers: Camberwell

Comments

Camberwell Travel Guide
Map of Camberwell