Colac Travel Guide

• LOVELY OLD MUSIC ROTUNDER IN THE TOWN GREEN
    LOVELY OLD MUSIC ROTUNDER IN THE TOWN...
  • COLAC WAR MEMORIAL IN ITS WONDERFUL GARDENS
    COLAC WAR MEMORIAL IN ITS WONDERFUL...
  • MANY DANGER AND INFO SIGNS POSTED ON PATHWAYS
    MANY DANGER AND INFO SIGNS POSTED ON...

Colac Things to Do

• DennyP's Profile Photo

TAKE THE WALK TO THE FALLS..

by DennyP Written Nov 28, 2013

After leaving The Fly and the Treetop Walk I decided to visit the "Triplet Waterfalls" ..after a short drive which is well signposted sees the car park which is the start of the walks to the waterfalls .From here it is a choice which attraction you visit..both if you wish.. Although not really a long walk around five kilometers + The walk nevertheless is an arduous one..at first down into a valley and then up along very well kept walkways and most of the time through cooling rainforrest foliage..The falls are a welcome sight and as I find with the sound of the falls a most calming feeling and with the only sounds being the waterfalls and the birds..This is a very pleasurable experience. I thought it quite amazing as we were the only ones here in this huge expanse of forrest...I must have sat there for half an hour enjoying the sounds of the water as these three falls come togeather at this point..The walk back to the top was the hardest as it was all uphill..
    This is a really wonderful hike in what is a wonderfully cool temperate rainforrest..

SIGNAGE AT THE CAR PARK FOR THE TRIPLET FALLS WALK WALKWAYS IN  PLACES TROUGH RAINFORREST FERNS THE SOUNDS OF THE FALLS IS ENJOYABLE & MESMERISING PART OF THE TRIPLET FALLS STANDS OF BEECH ,EUCLYPTS AND MOUNTAIN ASH TIMBER

• DennyP's Profile Photo

BEWARE....WATCH FOR SNAKES WHEN HIKING...

by DennyP Written Nov 28, 2013

This is the greatest National park and I must say i was really overwhelmed by the huge stands of beech and eucalytus trees here...some are the biggest trees that I have ever seen anywhere,,The walks here are interesting and many..One thing that I did notice was the many signs warning of snakes AS THEY ARE PREVELANT AT THIS TIME...Please take notice as I saw a black snake very close to the track..The warning signs are there for the unwary visitor..

INFORMATION SIGNS WITHIN THE PARK Red bellied black snake..venomous... ONE OF THE MANY SAFETY ADVISORY SIGNS IN THE PARK HUGE STANDS OF BEECH  MOUTAIN ASH AND EUCALYPTS A FORREST GIANT..NOT ME ..THE TREE
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

ALWAYS CARRY SUFFICIENT FRESH WATER

by DennyP Written Nov 28, 2013

I noticed while walking here in the National Park I decided to visit the Triplet Water Falls which was a lot of a more arduous walk than I first thought it would be as it was around ten kilometers round trip...I had a small bottle of water but found out early into my walk that it was insufficient..Make sure when hiking in this great National park that you have plenty of fresh bottled water with you..

make sure you have enough fresh water

Colac Hotels

Colac What to Pack

ALWAYS CARRY A RELIABLE INSECT REPELLANT

by DennyP Updated Nov 28, 2013

Luggage and bags: When out walking/ hiking in these wonderful National Parks I carry a small backpack with some neccesary daily essentials..

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Wear comfortable boots / shoes..high boots if possible to avoid snake strike.
    I carry a small rollup poncho for unexpected incliment weather ...it covers me and my pack..
    A wide brimmed hat to avoid sunburn
    A pair of sunglasses
    A mobile phone for emergencies..

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: A good sunscreen 30 +
    A small tube of Moisturiser
    A small packet of tissues.....in case the roll is empty
    A small packet of wet ones.. so handy for hand clean ups after finger food..

Photo Equipment: I carry my Photographic equipment and various lenses.in my pack out of sight...
    A spare digital card

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: A bottle of fresh drinking water
    A small torch..self charging..

A RELIABLE INSECT AND MOSQUITO REPELLANT A SMALL ROLLED UP PONCHO SOME SMALL TUBES/PACKS OF NECCESARIES CARRY SUFFICIENT FRESH BOTTLED WATER A SMALL TORCH

Colac Favorites

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Botanical Gardens, Lake, Walks

by Kate-Me Written Apr 26, 2003

Favorite thing: Close to the centre of town, the Botanical gardens stretches, along the shore line above Lake Colac, a huge body of water, shimmering blue in the bright sunlight on the day we were there.
    There are nice parks and walks you can take from the Colac township; we found a nice one beside the Botanical Gardens.
    The air was fairly ringing with many bird calls in all directions, almost sounding like Turkeys gobbling, but which we discovered to be currawongs (black/grey white tailed magpies) calling and answering each other incessantly.
    Another typical Australian feature: birds wherever you go, often all around, even in town parks.
    A narrow creek wound and meandered through the green, lush park. As we stood on one of the little wooden elevated crossing bridges, large ducks floated contentedly beneath us, and waterfowl picked their way through the weed in the shallows, as did two long legged grey cranes, who seemed fairly unfazed by our presence, as long as we didn’t approach too closely.

Fondest memory: Weeping willows and large thick oak trees just beginning to turn golden, lining the creek’s walking trails.

Instant Answers: Colac

Comments

Colac Travel Guide
Map of Colac