Fern Tree Gully Travel Guide

• Things to Do
  • Chain saw street art in Upper Ferntree Gully
    Chain saw street art in Upper Ferntree...
    Easy to spot.

Fern Tree Gully Things to Do

by craic Written Jun 23, 2009

Of course, the first thing you should do, as you head up the Burwood Highway to explore the Dandenongs, is stop off here and pick up some info and tips.
    They are very agreeable people and very keen to have customers etc etc etc.
    There is so much to do in this area, and it is so very beautiful, it would be such a shame to miss out on something because you didn't have the info.
    They are open 7 days a week except for Good Friday and Christmas Day.
    And I have popped in a couple of times and they are not too busy to attend to your every whim. Quite the contrary.

To begin at the beginning. 4 more images

by craic Updated Jun 23, 2009

Perhaps I should have put this tip on Sports Travel. (But I know for sure it isn't Off The Beaten Track.)

These steps are quite famous (although there are actually only 800 or so) for people who want to go up Kilimanjaro or walk in Nepal. You train here so steep is no problem for you.

They are also famous amongst athletes, including jockeys. So the daughter was always saying to me - Where are these steps? All the jockeys use them.

And then we moved just up the hill from them. So off we went to have a look.

Its 800 meters of steep but easy walking from the entrance to the steps. That's good thinking to help you warm up.

Then the steps start - and goodness - we didn't make it to the One Tree Hill Picnic Ground. We got about a third of the way. I'm old and the daughter is just coming back from an injury.

It is very very pretty, but the steps are very narrow. And what got funny was it was like suddenly being in a gym. Serious training people in gym clothes with bottles of water pounding along up hill and down hill. It was an overcast Tuesday morning and it was like rush hour. Not a bit Off The Beaten Path.

Me, I like a quiet stroll and listen to the birds sort of thing. But hey, I will go back and do them, just to say I have done them. I just hope I don't get trampled underfoot by the superfit.

It's 3.6 k and should take 1.5 hours return.

I can't tell you yet if there is a good view at the top on One Tree Hill. Which incidentally now has lots and lots of trees. One tree was a long time ago.

It's a memorial for the Kokoda Track with plaques all along the way. I liked those plaques, it was a chance to catch your breath, but most of the people flashed past them.

• Fern Tree Gully Hotels

0 Hotels in Fern Tree Gully

Fern Tree Gully Shopping

by craic Written Jan 14, 2010

There are three in Ferntree Gully, two on one side of the railway line in the main street, and one tucked away a bit on the other side.

And one, the Angliss Hospital shop, has so much excellent stuff. I always find amazing gear, and collectables, and kitchenware here. (They are not so good for books.)

I got a summer frock that was Made In Paris. Okay, it needed a bit of mending. I got an excellent lightweight jacket in mint condition that was Made In Germany. I got a lasagne dish and two mugs that were Made In Italy.

Their donators are world travellers! And the prices are egalitarian. All frocks are the same price, all mugs are the same price. Not for them the rack - Designer Labels - with the outrageous prices.

Whereas the St Vincents is more expensive, and I struggle to find anything I like or want. Their donators seem to have been to Target and K Mart. I keep going in there and turning it over - one day I will score - but no luck yet. Today, for instance, there are three cheap and gaudy bowls that caught my eye. They were marked at $5-50 each! That is very near what they cost brand new.

Instant Answers: Fern Tree Gully

Comments

Fern Tree Gully Travel Guide
Map of Fern Tree Gully