Baywalk Bollards, Geelong

Know about this? Rate It!

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo

Geelong Bollards

by Herwig1961 Written Jan 22, 2013

Favorite thing: There are over 100 bollards which have been made out of hughe wooden pylons;many recovered from the Yarra Street pier,which was destroyed by fire in the 1980`s.The bollards are painted as historic people and remind about events and history of Geelong.The painting artist was Jan Mitchell.The bollards are to be seen from Ripleside Park till Limeburner point.

Fondest memory: The beautiful waterfront.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches

• cassiejoy42's Profile Photo

Geelong, Bollards along the Bollard Walk

by cassiejoy42 Updated Oct 19, 2005

Favorite thing: As our city is situated on the Corio Bay, it would be hard to say which is more of a central point - the Corio Bay or the City of Greater Geelong.

One thing is for sure, when visitors do come to our city the first destination to visit is the waterfront. Today (Wednesday 19th October) I trekked around the Corio Bay, taking photos of the Corio Bay and Geelong's skyline from different angles.

Some of our more famous landmarks are:
    The Shell Refinery (when I was little I used to think that the lights of Shell were fairyland)
    the Mercure Hotel
    St Mary's Cathedral
    and Cunningham Pier.

Of course our Bollards are becoming more well known and are becoming landmarks themselves.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Geelong would be when I went to Primary School. We lived out of Geelong in a small town called Mount Duneed, not far from Torquay. My happiest days were spent at Mount Duneed Primary School. When I went to Mount Duneed PS it was on the Torquay highway. Now it has been shifted to Mount Duneed Road - I haven't been to see it since it got shifted.

Nun Bollards, Rippleside Beach Geelong Baths Swimming Club Bollards Policeman Bollard, Rippleside Beach
    • Eco-Tourism

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Bollards

by Kate-Me Written Apr 22, 2003

Favorite thing: These decorative poles are called Bollards. Originally they were old telephone/electricity poles, but now have a new lease of life as wonderful outdoor artworks.
    A local artist started painting these Bollards in a nearby warehouse...and they've now spread in groups right along the waterfront, on the lawns, in the Botanical gardens...and goodness knows where else.
    They really add a nice, unique charm to the waterfront.
    Most highlight people of the area depicted in past decade styles. I really like the sea-theme Life-Saver ones.
    Surf life savers have long been part of the Australian culture.

Bollards near the Pier
    • Beaches

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo

A couple of lifeguards...

by Sweetberry1 Written May 21, 2003

Favorite thing: You might even run into a couple of these handsome guys.. though I am not too sure about their life saving abilities.. ;-))

A couple of Cool Dudes...

Instant Answers: Geelong