Guildford Travel Guide

• Guildford
  • Things to Do

Guildford Things to Do

by craic Updated Mar 29, 2010

... I'll just tell you a few more things I noticed about Guildford.

There's a shop with a few tables outside so you can have a coffee or a muffin or a pie etc.

There's a public hall which looks like it was built in the 30s.

Buses run occasionally via Guildford from Castlemaine to Daylesford, but not on Sundays.
    I was trying to hitch from Castlemaine - and having no luck at all. But then a friend went by in a taxi so good oh. It cost us $24.

When we got to Guildford there was a German backpacker with a great big pack trying to get to Daylesford. I wished him good luck but told him I had been having a hard time. We walked down to look at The Big Tree and when we got back he had gone. I should have asked him for a few tips about his hitching technique I think.
    It appears hitching is possible in this area.

A V-line train from Melbourne takes one and a half hours to Castlemaine and costs approx $16 return.

by craic Updated Mar 29, 2010

It's a Red River Gum and is over 500 years old. Maybe as much as 1,000 years old. And very impressive it is too.
    The locals seem to care for it very much and have diverted the road so it doesn't suffer too much from root compression and have shifted some power lines.
    It looked quite healthy to me, for a very very old grandmother tree, so I hope it is there for a long time to come.
    It is a very short walk off the Midland Highway. It makes a lovely pit stop.

by craic Written Mar 29, 2010

As Guildford is such a small place, and as the pub doesn't provide accomodation, I will put both my tips in Things To Do.

The pub is 150 years old and reeks of atmosphere. It hasn't been renovated too much. They have folk nights etc apart from the monthly poetry readings. (Which aren't well advertised, although they are well attended, so I can't give you a link to find out when they are scheduled and who the feature poets are.) The pub also does meals, sometimes. Super beer garden out the back, so peaceful. Very nice staff. Good coffee for those who don't drink. And it is a family hotel. There was a baby with her mum and dad having a great time in the front bar when I was there. Log fires in winter. Friendly locals. Clean air.

Instant Answers: Guildford

Comments

Guildford Travel Guide
Map of Guildford