Halls Gap Things to Do

by edachsund

Most Recent Things to Do in Halls Gap

• Brambuk

by Jayroo Written Oct 20, 2010

The family and i visited Brambuk while we were in Halls Gap recently and were surprised by what we found. We initially went there to get some information on some walks we could do while we were in the National Park. We soon found it was more then just an information centre as there was a nice little Cafe there and a gift shop which had a lot of Aboriginal themed items. We were informed there was also an Aboriginal Cultural centre there as well which had a heap of displays and things to do. We ended up having a look (an amazing building) and decided to watch some short films they were showing there. The kids loved the one about their creator spirit and the giant Emu while the other one was about the Grampians and was quite informative. The kids then wanted to try the boomerang throwing, which was fun but harder then it looks. We then had some lunch at the cafe which was nice. All up a 5min visit turned into 2hrs as there was plenty to see and do. Well worth the visit!

• National/State Park

Drives

by alisonr Updated Aug 7, 2010

If you aren't that into walking, you can still see a lot of the mountain sites by driving and only a bit of walking. there are a lot of waterfalls that you can drive to. One good drive we did was on the Mount Victory Road, you get to see the Elephants Hide which is just above Venus Baths. Keep driving past the The Wonderland Carpark and take Silverband Road and this takes you towards Silverband Falls, taking you on a very windy but enjoyable tour of the area. You can go up to Sundial Car park and peer over the edge and then back past the Silverband Falls onto the main Grampians Road again. Then home. This took about 45 mins I recall. There are so many places to drive you can do whatever you like.

Walks

by alisonr Written Aug 7, 2010

There are a plethora of walks to chose from in and around Halls Gap. From the back of the Caravan Park alone there are half a dozen to chose from. I have attached a link to the best site I have found which tells in great detail the routs of the walks.

On this trip, due to time and other constraints, I was only able to do one walk, to Venus Baths and onto Splitters Falls. This is a very moderate walk, with mostly gravel paths, but some slippery rocks as you get closer to the baths. This is a good starting walk. Kids could do this one.

The Pinnacle is one of 2 famous walks in this area of the park, the other being to 'The Balconies' or the Jaws of Death. I am fascinated with the rock formations and structures in the park. I just love it. As a kid we went up to the Pinnacle. It is a great walk with some climbing and rock hopping. I can't wait to go back later this year, and spend some more time and do more walks.

A good idea is to research your walks before you go, so that you know what is around when you get there. Not like me, who realised after I got home how many others I could have done in a small time frame! Ok next time!

This link is from the Dandenong valley Bushwalking Club and is an excellent, indepth reference to the walks. You can get more info from the the Brambuk Visitor Information Centre in Halls Gap itself. Just don't be put off by the man who seems uninterested in speaking to you, he warms up after a while!!

Go to the ice creamery!

by alisonr Written Aug 7, 2010

Coola's Icecreamery in the Stony Creek Stores complex has been a Halls Gap institution for as long as I can remember. The last time I was in Halls Gap would have been 20 years ago, and this place was here then. They have home made waffle cones, which are awesome, and heaps of flavours to choose from. If you come in Winter like I did, you will be the only one in the shop. But in Summer, line up !!!!

The Zoo

by alisonr Written Aug 7, 2010

A great day or half day out for the family. Our son was 2.5yrs old at the time and he loved it. They encourage feeding of some of the animals which makes it quite unique. The kids love that.

They have heaps of different animals from native Aussie marsupials, some which I as an Aussie had not even heard of! Deer that roam the park and seem to find you every time they hear a rustling bag! Emu, alpaca, ostrich, goats, American Bison which I loved, different types of kangaroo, possum, they are building a new enclosure to house Red Panda. They have varieties of monkies, koala, dingo and much much more!

$18 for adults, you may think that is a bit steep like we did, but once you see it all and how big it is, you will thinks its ok!

• Zoo

• edachsund's Profile Photo

Silverband Falls

by edachsund Written Oct 12, 2004

In Grampions National Park also, you could enjoy the miracle of the nature. I get into this Silverband Falls and found out that this falls is one of the amazing nature I ever seen.

Can you guess what is so weird about seeing this waterfalls?

• edachsund's Profile Photo

The Grampians

by edachsund Written Oct 12, 2004

You could check out this Grampions National Parks. You have to drive up the hills and do a little walk to the edge, around 15minutes time follow the existing track in order to get a closer look for this spectacular stone.

Instant Answers: Halls Gap

Comments

Halls Gap Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Halls Gap things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Halls Gap sightseeing.