Horsham Travel Guide

• The house I grew up in - Stewart Street Horsham
    The house I grew up in - Stewart Street...
    by lindyz
    Firebrace Street - the main drag!
    Norton Estate Winery

Horsham Things to Do

by lindyz Written Oct 19, 2010

In the entire 20 years I grew up in Horsham, Green Lake ALWAYS had water in it and it was a favourite summer escape from the heat. I was devastated when for the last 20 years or so, it has been dry as a bone, due to the intense drought suffered in the Wimmera area for many years. It was always very eerie indeed to drive past it and see it bare .... not a drop of water in it. I was even told that the farmers had started to plant crops in it!!!

Well ... the Wimmera region and Horsham has experienced good rainfalls recently and when we drove past Green Lake heading towards Horsham ... Jen and I let out a HUGE gasp as Green Lake was half full!!! I realise to those of you reading this who did NOT grow up in Horsham, you probably see no connection with this tip ... BUT to those of you who DID grow up in Horsham ... well you will well and truly be familiar with the connection to the Lake.

Just a few pics of Green Lake in June - dry as a bone and then pics taken in September where it is half full.

Signs and the Lake taken June 2010 How funny the sign says No Diving! Green Lake dry as a bone June 2010 And ... October 2010 its half full! An unusual sight - water in the Lake!

by lindyz Updated Oct 19, 2010

When I was last home in Horsham in October 2010 my friend Gaye said "do you want to go out to the Winery" and my reply was "What winery?" I didnt know there were any around Horsham, but there are a few now, and this one is a favourite of Gayes.

Its at Lower Norton on the Hamilton Road, about 18kms (10 minute drive) from Horsham. Take the Hamilton Highway then turn right at Plush Hannan Road and its about 7kms down that road. Just a small boutique winery, selling one white and several reds. In less than a decade of production Norton Estate wines have received high recognition and won many awards, so its definitely worth a visit.

Cellar door customers can visit for tastings and purchases from 10am-5pm Wednesday to Sunday and on public holidays by appointments. Trade and wholesale enquiries are welcome, as are mail orders. The owner is a lovely man who is quite happy to sit and chat with you while you sample his wares!!

Wine tasting at 3pm!! Gaye and Jen chilling at the winery Norton Estate Winery The lovely owner The wine list

• Horsham Hotels

5 Hotels in Horsham

Horsham Hotels

Horsham Restaurants

by lindyz Written Oct 19, 2010

This was the venue for our 30 year High School Reunion so most of us chose to eat dinner here as well, and a good decision that was indeed! Meals here were HUGE and reasonably priced. I ate Salt and Pepper Squid costing $20.50 and you then could fill your plate up with whatever salads or vegies you wanted. The only problem was that the big plate was already full of squid and chips!!!! Such a dillemma!!!

This Hotel used to be called just the Victoria Hotel, I am not too sure as to when it changed its name from the Vic to Victoria on the Park, but was certainly always known to locals as The Vic. It is situated just opposite lovely May Park and on the main road heading towards Dimboola. Great location and great value for money.

by lindyz Written Oct 19, 2010

This is a great place for the whole family to go for a fantastic value for money meal. My sister Coralie and I took my Mother here for Sunday lunch - a few hours outing from the Retirement Home is something she just loves to do!

Meals probably range in price from about $15-$20, but there are also cheaper dining options. What I ate here was simply delicious - it was chicken breast with mushroom sauce at a cost of $19 I think. I had 2 large pieces of chicken breast topped with yummy mushroom sauce and you can then top your plate up with whatever salads or vegies you like. Your meal price also includes a bread roll. Mum and Coralie had roast pork meal with a dessert and they had lovely strawberry pavlova. All meal servings were HUGE which makes it unreal value for money.

The RSL Club is in a very old building but the Club itself was only opened in 1993.

Mum loves a Shandy!!! Sunday Family Lunch And again!

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Horsham? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Horsham Favorites

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

by Kate-Me Written Jul 4, 2004

Favorite thing: Another view of the river at Horsham, with a new housing estate in the background.
    If you blow up the pic, you may just see all the white corellas (a kind of cockatoo) which have just landed in the tree.

reflections
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Horsham

Comments

Horsham Travel Guide
Map of Horsham