Lorne Restaurants

• View from our table at the Lorne Pier Seafood Rest
    View from our table at the Lorne Pier...
    by A89

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Arab Restaurant & Espresso Bar: Good Food by the Beach

by cjg1 Updated Jan 25, 2013

Tasty Pizza

We stopped off in Lorne during our drive to Apollo Bay. We were in need of some lunch as we hadn't eaten since the night before. My wife noticed this place as we drove into town so we parked the car and checked out the menu. The menu has a nice variety of pizza, pasta, salads, sandwiches,chicken, fish, burgers,desserts and coffee items. The place was packed with locals so we definitely thought it must be good. After spotting a pizza on the menu board we liked we chose this as our lunch spot; and off we went inside.

Service here is typical of most Australian casual eateries. Place your order at the counter, pay, take your numbered plaque and have a seat. We ordered a specialty pizza, an order of garlic bread, an Fanta orange and a sparkling water. We took a seat at a table in their outside terrace. It was a nice breezy day outside and we wanted to enjoy the weather.

About ten minutes later our food arrived piping hot. I dug right into the pizza that was topped with olives, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and bubbly cheese. This was one tasty pizza, I was glad we ordered it. The garlic bread was also good with lots of fresh garlic. It was a good meal and very filling.

This was a nice "first meal" during our Great Ocean Road Adventure.

Favorite Dish: Loved the pizza, once again the wife choses something great. Crust was good, toppings were excellent and flavor was delicious.

• Beaches
    • Eco-Tourism

• The Lorne Pier Seafood Restaurant: Seafood To Die For!!

by A89 Written Jan 1, 2012
    The Lorne Pier Seafood restaurant

The Pier Seafood Restaurant is located at the foot of the pier itself. Having amazing views of all of Lorne and on a clear day all the way to Aireys Inlet. Not only does it have an amazing view the seafood is to die for! There is a huge selection of fresh seafood, as well as other options for those who are not seafood lovers. I had the seafood platter for one, although it is large enough for 2 people to share, my friend had the half local crayfish, brought in from Apollo bay. He had it natural, not cooked (although there was the option to have it mornay or thermadore) and you could taste the freshness of the seafood. It was very reasonably priced for fresh seafood. I have had seafood in Melbourne much more expensive and you could tell by the taste it was frozen. the atmosphere was relaxed and pleasant. We did not make a reservation and was told by the lovely man at the door that he could give us a table in 15 min. We had a drink at the bar while waiting, overlooking the ocean, until our table was ready. The place was packed. There was lovely background music and the staff were friendly and polite. There was a small wait between courses, but that is to be expected at a high class, fully booked restaurant! We enjoyed it so much we went back several times during our stay in Lorne. Other restaurants in Lorne did not have the view, the atmosphere and the food quality in our opinion. It is a must visit restaurant if you are ever in Lorne.

Favorite Dish: The seafood platter was absolutely amazing! We had half a dozen natural and half a dozen kilpat oysters, from Tasmania, which were simply divine! The half local crayfish was fresh and delicious.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Louttit Bay Bakery and Cafe: Eyes Open Driver.....

by ATXtraveler Updated Apr 4, 2011

Louttit Bay Cafe

After passing by all the warning signs by the Victoria Government to keep your eyes wide open while driving on the road, our morning drive hit a peak where coffee was essential. As we came into Lorne, we saw a nice little row of cafes and bakeries, but even at 10am, a slim minority of them were open.

Louttit Bay Bakery was the most appealing of the options, as we could see the coffee brewing, and the seats were out and umbrellas up for us to sit and enjoy a drink. The coffee was warm, and although I am turning into a Melbourne coffee snob now, it did give us just enough lift to perk up for the rest of the drive.

I also tried the croissant sandwich, with ham and cheese. It was warmed, which is the only way to eat a croissant, and I was pleased with the outcome.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Tiramisu: Small place with excellent Italian-style food

by Kathrin_E Written Apr 22, 2009

The little restaurant named Tiramisu is a few metres uphill from Lorne's main street. They have put up a mobile sign on the sidewalk in said main street, that is how we found it. I really hope it still exists, our visit took place in 2005.

The restaurant is run by a young couple. He is of Italian descent, the chef and an ambitious singer... She is the waitress, maybe of Dutch/Belgian/German ancestry - not sure. Really cute people. The food was ex-cell-ent. One of the best fish dishes I have ever had in my whole life. Unfortunately we were almost the only guests. I assume the location off the main street is a disadvantage for them, as many other restaurants are located in the main street. I hope hope hope they made it because it was superb.

Favorite Dish: I had the Fish of the Day, a Bue Eye fillet the size of a big steak, grilled and served on risotto with fresh tomatoes and herbs.

I do not remember the exact price but it was not expensive.

• Zanzibargirl's Profile Photo

Four Seasons Take Away Foods: Graze in Lorne on this great food

by Zanzibargirl Written Sep 30, 2005

Four Seasons Menu

Food for all the four seasons of Melbourne and Victoria Weather this place has pizza, fish and chips, salads, Pasta, Mexican, Burgers, Toasted sandwiches, Hotdogs, Breakfast and all the beverages one would need at reasonable prices. Though the menu I have is a bit old, I am sure if there food is as good as when I was there it still is now.

A take away cafe where you can eat in or take it with you, Four Seasons was a reasonble place for a pit stop on the Great Ocean road for a graze. Yummo.

• eviltooth's Profile Photo

Andrew's Chicken Joint

by eviltooth Written Oct 11, 2003

Andrew's Chicken Joint

We went to the Lorne Pier Seafood Restaurant but they wouldn't be open until 6pm. Our tummies were making lots of noise and refused to wait for another hour, so we ended up in Andrew's Chicken Joint. Chicken salad, pizza, fish & chips, burger, etc.

Favorite Dish: I'd fish & chips, fish was very fresh, but Ewa's chicken salad made me drool.

• eviltooth's Profile Photo

Lorne Fisheries Seafood Specialists: Fresh Seafood, DIY!

by eviltooth Updated Oct 11, 2003

Seafood Specialist

Your trip to Lorne will not be completed without seafood! All sorts of fish, crabs, lobsters and crayfish brought in daily from the pier by Lorne's small fishing fleet. There is no safe anchorage for the fleet so the boats are stored on the pier and winched into the sea.

Price is not cheaper than the Queen Victoria Market but definitely fresh and more variety.

Favorite Dish: Take your pick and make your own favourite seafood dish!

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo

Fresh seafood...

by Sweetberry1 Written Feb 4, 2003

There is a choice of first class restaurants and bistros to tempt you, where fresh local seafoods are a speciality and for the budget conscious, the take-aways are wide and varied, and can be enjoyed on the beach, or in the many parks and picnic areas over-looking the bay.

Rief: modern cuisine

by Audrey118 Written Dec 27, 2002

Well priced restaurant, with sometimes a local band playing. You can sit outside and watch over Loutit Bay - hey Lorne is a very small town!!! so you see it all when you are sitting on the restaurant terrace.

Favorite Dish: Modern food - we just had a drink - but other diners food looks great

Pier Restaurant: Seafood Platter

at the pier

This is a place ot have your fish and chips, grilled lobsters, or generally the seafood platter type. we stumbled into it when we were walking along the path from Loutit Bay to the Pier. You cannot miss it. The Lorne Pier is a nitstorical placeNext door to it is a fish market. You have outside dining - some of the seats are carved out of huge tree trunks. Sounded like a fantastic place, but I was not too impressed with the overall place. I think I was happier to eat at Marks, or even Mecca along Mount Joy Parade.

Favorite Dish: I saw lots of mornayed scallop on the shell, lots of seafood platters served etc. We just had coffee and a crumble - peach and apple -which was palatable - but not wuite good. They do not even use the best cream made from King Island - which should be to keep up woth the great eateries in Australia.

Marks Restaurant: Great Fusion food at Marks

by Audrey118 Written Dec 27, 2002

This is possibly the tops in Lorne. We enjoyed the meal here so much - if you have to get here.

I had garlc herb toast and it was topped with lots of garlic and fennel and lots of nice olive oil, and it was served warm with the bread crips on the edge.

My main course was cripsy duck on a bed of steamed vegetables drizzled with sweetened soya sauce. It was ultra cripsy - not hard but crisp and I said any Chinese restaurant duck would be put to shame!!!.

My husband had grilled seabass on mashed potato which was also very delicious.

For dessert we shared the deadly sinful trio - which is really deadly. It has a rich chocolate mousse, a cream brullee and a coffee ice cream. All were so rich I saw all diners not finishing the trio.There were also lots of other dessert on offer such as nut pies etc.

Chris's Restauarant: Dining at the Cumberland Resort

by Audrey118 Written Dec 27, 2002

Look at all these goodies!!!!

This was our first stop. We had an early lunch after starting the day so early to travel to Great Ocean Road. The restaurant has an open dining area with a great view of the beach and part of the Mountjoy Parade.
    There was several diners on the extremely hot day; many having some \thing light like salads but kids were having their chippies etc.

Favorite Dish: I shared with my husband a wonderful seared scallop with cherry tomato angel hair pasta - the cooking was just right but the serving was a little large. We also shared some desserts and spent time just people watching.

I enjoyed my lunch there - the maitre d was ultra friendly.

Instant Answers: Lorne

Comments

Lorne Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lorne restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lorne sightseeing.