Great Ocean Road, Melbourne

Know about this? Rate It!

Surfer- by Aussie75
    Ocean and Sand
    Apostle on the beach
  • paoseo's Profile Photo

The beauty of Ocean

by paoseo Written Oct 20, 2005

12 Apostles

Favorite thing: Anyone drove along Great Ocean Road knows what I felt.
    Every turn view changed, my breath stopped for a while,my eyes grew wider and wider admiring the bauty of the Ocean.
    Maybe it sounds silly but some tears rolled down my cheek becuase I could feel that immensity and I was enormously happy to be there!!!
    It was as dream coming true, I was afraid of awaking.....I took lots and loots of pics of waves,sand and rocks...all the same and all different one from each other....great memories!!
    Here there are some of my prefered pics of Ocean.
    The last one I stole it from Aussie 75's collection LOL...I love it!!!

• Steve-H's Profile Photo

by Steve-H Updated Aug 15, 2009

12 apostles

Favorite thing: It was a bit choppy when we arrived. A lot of ships have been wrecked on this bit of coast over the years and you can see why. Despite the strong winds the chopper tours were still taking the Japanese tourists out for a closer look, we ran around taking a few snaps and then headed back to the relative warmth of the camper van. Weather here is changable, keep something warm/waterproof to hand.

• Adventure Travel

• Accommodation around Great Ocean Road

by AnitaGANSUKH Updated Feb 18, 2009

Favorite thing: We had a great time driving around Great Ocean Road. The scenery is spectacular and what a great way to escape the big city.

I found the quality of the accommodation including services really vary around Great Ocean Road.

I initially made a booking at Arrabella B&B and advised them about late check in as were driving a distance. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a big disappointment as we arrived they turned us down regardless of the earlier booking and credit card details and we ended up having nowhere to stay which was really scary as it was late and dark pretty much in the middle of no where. The people whom were running this accommodation was very unfriendly and was a disappointment to us because the last thing you want to experience after driving a long distance is grumpy people...and to be told that we had no accommodation.

Out of desperation we ended up basically driving into the next "accommodation" sign and very fortunately ended up in a backpackers at Princetown ran by lovely lady whom was very hospitable and friendly. The accommodation was three times cheaper then Arrabella + plus great smile + great hospitality and very helpful.

Next time I will definitely make sure I do research before I book the accommodation.

Overall the Great Ocean Road experience was excellent!

• jrs1234's Profile Photo

visit the Great Ocean Road....

by jrs1234 Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: visit the Great Ocean Road. It's quite spectacular - I've done it twice so I must have a photo somewhere! If you're travelling on to Adelaide, this is a good place to go via...

• Steve-H's Profile Photo

The 12 Apostles

by Steve-H Written Mar 17, 2005

12 Apostles

Favorite thing: One of the highlights of the Great Ocean Road was the 12 Apostles, actually there are dozens of them. It was windy while we were there so helicopter flights were grounded but the views from the lookout points were spectacular.

• Adventure Travel

• Twinkling's Profile Photo

visit the spectacular Great...

by Twinkling Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: visit the spectacular Great Ocean Road. Driving there is not easy. The road is long and winding (maximum speed allowed = 35 km per hour)! It takes alot of courage and great eyesight to drive along this scenic route. You can see what I mean from the photo below.

• Twinkling's Profile Photo

Twinkling's General Tip

by Twinkling Updated Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: Here's a close up shot of the eroded cliffs known simply as the Twelve Apostles along the Great Ocean Road. It takes approximately 4 hours to drive from Melbourne (city) to reach the Twelve Apostles. So be prepared for a long and boring car journey. (Yawn).

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

take a side-trip and drive...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: take a side-trip and drive down south of Melbourne to THE GREAT OCEAN ROAD to catch the most SPECTACULAR views of a row of great stone pillars emerging from the sea! I have NEVER seen such unbelievable scenery any where else in the world - yet.

Fondest memory: Driving there deserves an entire chapter altogether! The winding narrow roads will only allow vehicles to move at 35 km per hour... so needless to add, by the time we reached the first of the many spectacular rocks, The 12 Apostles, it was 4 hours later!

P.S. That's me with my Australian aunt and cousin doubling up as my tour guides. Kudos to them.

• giocatto's Profile Photo

The very scenic 'Great Ocean...

by giocatto Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: The very scenic 'Great Ocean Road', runs for some 300km from just outside Geelong through to Warrnambool on the south coast of Victoria.
    A drive along here will provide you some of the most beautiful scenery in Australia.
    For most of the 300km., the road hungs the coast line giving a spectacular ride for the passengers, but not raccomanded for the driver as the road certainly needs to be driven with care.
    Along the road, you will find many stopping places to take a look, many private and secluded beaches. If you want to find somewhere private, well there is enough room for everyone.
    Along the Great Ocean Road, are whats called 'The Twelve Apostles'. These are large lumps of land scatterd into the sea, sadly no longer 12 but only about 9 remaining and are getting smaller as time passes.

• giocatto's Profile Photo

These are only some places you...

by giocatto Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: These are only some places you can see travelling down the Great Ocean Road.

Fondest memory: The photo below shows 'The Shipwreck Coast', where the wrecks of over 80 ships lie on the ocean floor. Many ships carrying immigrants to the gold fields of Victoria floundered in the treacherous seas.

• giocatto's Profile Photo

see Port Campbell's National...

by giocatto Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: see Port Campbell's National Park. A 32km. stretch of scenic and historic coastline incorporating a magnificent series of sheer cliffs, deep caverns, great archways, grottos, island gorges, blowholes and spectacular off-shore rock stacks.
    THE GROTTO: the path leads down to a beautiful rock pool about 8mt. above the sea.
    LONDON BRIDGE: one of the best known features of the coastline. The arch linking the 'bridge' to the mainland collapsed in January 1990.
    TWO MILE BAY: a long walk over sand dunes to a good fishing beach; ideal for collecting tiny cowrie sheles and exploring reefs and rook pools at low tide.
    LOCH ARD GORGE: the most famous wreck along the Shipwreck Coast. The iron clipper 'Loch Ard' foundered in 1878 claiming 49 lives. There were two young survivors, Eva Carmichael and Torn Pearce who were washed into the gorge. Pearce managed to scale the precipitous cliffs to summon help and the story of tragedy and bravery continues to capture the imagination.

Fondest memory: The photo below showes the famous Arch.

• utttz's Profile Photo

the great ocean road

by utttz Updated Sep 4, 2002

the 12 apostoles

Favorite thing: drive along the great ocean road till the shipwreck coast.... If you can choose, try to go there on a stormy day!

A lot of people will probably tell you that the great ocean road is really winding, narrow and so on.... well, where I live a road like that is considered a straight one... and quite large! Don't be scared... it's not a wide highway, but the last part of the highway from Milan to Genoa is harder than the G.O.R.

Fondest memory: there's a million of pics of the 12 apostoles here on VT: I'm so glad someone choose mine for his own page!!!!! :-)

• jeska123's Profile Photo

Melbourne Exploration

by jeska123 Written Dec 9, 2012

Favorite thing: Hi Ivana & Ivana!
    I have done that trip from Melbourne to Adelaide and it took much longer than 1 day! The drive along the Great Ocean Road is BEAUTIFUL!!! But the rest of the drive- when you reach inland more tends to be boring after driving for sooo long!

I believe the best thing to do is a day tour to the Great Ocean Road and then take a flight from Melbourne to Adelaide- the flights are always really cheap- lastminute.com.au/skyscanner.com.au.

I went on an amazing private tour to the GOR with a local couple in their 4wd, was a 13 hour tour and saw soooo much-whales, kangaroos, apostles, waterfalls, rain forests, you name it! Their tour was very affordable too. This is their site if you want to know more: http://www.privatebudgettoursaustralia.webs.com.
    It will work out to be more cost effective for you girls. Renting a car will cost a lot of money, plus the deposit you have to leave, as well as the petrol you will have to pay, I really wouldn't suggest it.

Hope my advice has helped!

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Beaches

• jeska123's Profile Photo

Private Budget Tours Australia

by jeska123 Written Dec 9, 2012

Favorite thing: I constantly fly to Melbourne with my partner and I always call Private Budget Tours Australia. They are a local couple from Melbourne whom provide private tours at affordable rates. They are very flexible and knowledgeable. When ever we go to Melbourne, they organise a good package deal for us as we like to go to different tours everyday. They always pick us up from the airport, take us to our hotel and organise to fetch us the day after for a tour. The car we toured in was a 4wd and it was very comfortable, spacious, and clean. I like to go on personalised tours as I can enjoy myself more and I feel more comfortable that way. I only paid around $120 for a 13 hour day on a private tour, my own guide and driver and they provided complimentary drinks for us! It was very special for me and my partner. Here's their website http://www.privatebudgettoursaustralia.webs.com. Thank you guys!

• Beaches
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• Thanks Bunyip Tours

by adamlazz Written Feb 20, 2011

Favorite thing: I took part in a Great Ocean Road tour with Bunyip tours and it was a great decision. The small personal group with a tour guide that had great knowledge was really amazing. The Otway Ranges and the coast (12 apostles, Shipwreck cove, London bridge) had a amazing view. It was a unforgettable experience.

Fondest memory: The feeling i got the most out of the time i was here thanks to Bunyip Tours.

Instant Answers: Melbourne