Related Melbourne Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Melbourne

• paoseo's Profile Photo

Chinatown's precinct

by paoseo Updated Oct 28, 2006

Favorite thing: Melbourne's Chinatown is located within the Melbourne Central Business District and is centred around the eastern end of Little Bourke St. It extends between the corners of Swanston and Exhibition Streets.
    Ornate gates guard the entrance and fat lanterns dangle overhead welcoming to bright and buzzing Chinatown, a slice of Asia in the heart of Melbourne.
    You’ll find dozens of traditional laneway eating houses alongside some of the city’s most-awarded contemporary silver service restaurants.
    Shops and businesses in the thriving arcades off Little Bourke Street sell everything from Chinoiserie to fungi.
    At 22 Cohen Place there is the Chinese Museum that shows about the stories and culture of Chinese Australianswith artefacts and photographs dating from the gold rush of the 1850s to modern times, spread over five levels of exhibition space.
    Chinatown is home to the Asian Food Festival (August-September) and the Chinese New Year Festival (February), attracting visitors who want to experience the sights, sounds and tastes of Asia.
    Walking there during a busy day it made me really feel not to be in Australia but in a street in Hong Kong or in China!!!

Fondest memory: One Sunday Micky and her boyfriend with another friend and me went to Chinatown so that I could have the experience of yum cha, that means lunch, especially at the weekend. ...OH MY GOD!!! I eat soooo much!!! there were soooo many peole!!!
    Great experience!!!!
    Pics will come soon

• paoseo's Profile Photo

Info point

by paoseo Updated Oct 28, 2006

Favorite thing: In first days I was in Melbourne I found myself in front of this quite big glassy building, that 'is Federation Square, opened on 26 October 2002. If you go inside, you'll find yourself in the Melbourne Visitor Centre - a one-stop shop for visitors to learn all there is to see and do in Melbourne and Victoria. On the first floor there is a desk as info point where you can ask a little map of the town, while downstairs there is a huge room where you can collect free leaflets about everything in Australia and Melbourne.I think it can be quite useful as a good start! Besides the infopoint, in the other part of the structure there are also some interesting museums, as the Ian Potter Centre that hosts the collection of Australian art, or the state-of-the-art Australian Centre for the Moving Image.
    Federation Square is Melbourne's new civic centre. The Square has been built to serve as a central focalpoint for the city but also to block out the ugliness of railway lines that run through the very heart of the city. It is situated opposite Flinders Street Station.The pic I upload here it's not mine, I borrowed it from Internet. I have to work my pictures with the scanner...
    I chose this one to show the sharp contrast between the 2 styles.
    Its website is : http://www.federationsquare.com.au/
    It is open from:9am-6pm daily.
    You can get there both by train at Flinders Street Station, part of the city loop metropolitan train service, that is opposite the square and by tram;take any tram along Swanston and Flinders street.
    Asking around I found out that lots of people don't like it so much, infact the Square is controversial due to its striking, but unusual, design using large panels and claddings of sandstone, zinc and glass. It is a strikingly modern design for a civic centre!!

A piece of Fed.Square against Flinder St.Station
    • Architecture

• allikat's Profile Photo

City Ambassadors - what a brilliant idea!

by allikat Written Oct 2, 2006

Favorite thing: So there I am, all on my own, in the middle of Melbourne for the first time. Where to go, what to do, and how to get there? Fortunately for me, I stumbled across a couple of charming gentlement dressed all in red and ready to help me find the tram I needed. City Ambassadors are volunteers, ready to help the visitor to Melbourne. You will find these Ambassadors around the central areas of Melbourne, and they are ready to help you with directions, ideas - any general queries you might have. A brilliant idea!

City Ambassadors

• alisonr's Profile Photo

Jurlique Day Spa at Como

by alisonr Updated Sep 17, 2006

Favorite thing: My mum and I had a fantastic day spa at the Como Centre in Chapel Street South Yarra. Just for Alex-Perth it was the Jurlique day spa. Extremely professional! Pricey but definatly worth it if you are that way inclined! The services are so much better than in regional areas where I live!! What a treat!

• Spa and Resort

I like this one

by l_joo Written Jun 14, 2006

Favorite thing: I like this one, is me standing here, so I like it. A tourist need a place to take photos, this is a place to take photos, tourists came here and immediately take photos here, happy, smiles, again and again, change positions, change angles, take as many as you wish, tourists happy, tourism happy, all happy.

Car number plate

by l_joo Updated Jun 14, 2006

Favorite thing: This is an unavoidable visible object in Melbourne, I have to include in my tip section, no tourists able to not see this thing, impossible to avoid. Tourists once saw the plate know they are in the territory of Melbourne, it tells you you are now in where you should be, a place to be, the place to be.

Car number plate

Melbourne visitor centre

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: When they say Melbourne visitor centre, as a visitor, you should report yourself inside, this is the purpose of visitor centre. Walk in and then tell them politely that you are a visitor that you want to report yourself and they will serve you like a visitor, all visitors should go to visitor centre, never miss it.

Melbourne visitor centre

Tourists spot

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: Tourists spot, without doubt, this is a tourists spot. This is the open air thing where tourists should come, I'm a tourist, so I came to do what a tourist should do. Why I said tourists spot, because I saw a tourist information office beside it, so I now tell you this is a tourists spot. Tourists spot is for tourists, you are a genius.

Tourists spot

Federation Square

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: I was brought here by friends who study at Melbourne University, to see the historical paintings inside this non-common-look building. Our society view is that, if the building looked less common, that must be something not common and so want to see. I went in to see some historical paintings, understanding some history of history of Melbourne and then I took some photos, typical tourists of modern days.

Federation Square

Graduation day at Melbourne University

by l_joo Updated Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: Graduation day at Melbourne University is for Malaysian citizen of 'Non-Bumi status' to obtain a 'status' in society. In Malaysia, government wants to make sure inhabitants Muslims-Malay go to university fully financed, Non-Muslims-OtherEthnic must self pay (money from parents) abroad in Melbourne or other universities in Europe, US, NZ, etc to obtain a Master Degree or higher. One of my friend was here study medicine and the purpose I came here was partly to see his graduation. His 7 years total studies in medicine cost his father some RM700,000.00 (2.8 exchange with Australian Dollar), the money is approximately the value of 3 double-storey terrace houses in Kuala Lumpur, is about 20 years of his father's working savings. I was invited here and I saw a sea of Malaysian Non-Muslims-OtherEthnic students, their parents came to attend their graduation, a lifetime achievement.

Since 1970s, the Muslims-Malay lack economy skills, lack competency, over crutches-dependent, therefore the Muslims-Malay government financed them to study overseas and in all local universities, whereas Non-Muslims-OtherEthnic must self finance in higher education, this is to have a balance in economy Malaysia. Btw this is highly sensitive topic in Malaysia, is like Israel & Palestine, is not allow to question or ask, offenders will be punished and throw into prison.

I am a non-Muslims-Malay and for me to question this topic is an offence, is a crime.

Graduation day

A sign of prospering

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: A whole bunch of shoppers is a sign of prospering, they want to shop meaning there are quantity shops to shop and that is a sign of prospering. Shoppers want to make sure there are enough shops for them to shop, tourists as well, and if we upload a picture full of shoppers then shoppers and tourists will not want to leave.

A sign of prospering

City skyline

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: In tourism, you must always upload some nice looking city skyline to attract tourists, everybody did so, is probably a must to show tourists the city is extremely thriving, flourishing, prospering or well developed. By doing this, tourists who are willing to spend money believe they have chosen a right place, and then the city's economy would go up. So this time, in this tip, I also want to do a 'city skyline' beautifully to attract tourists.

City skyline

I saw a pig

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: I saw a pig somewhere at Lygon street (if I not mistaken), this is a non-halal material in Malaysia where a pig or a dog is always sensitive, not allow to question. Here I saw a pig as a welcome sign to attract customers in front of the shop, unbelievable to Islamic peoples, welcome by non-Islamic peoples. Do not ask this kind of question, it's very sensitive and it's a common sense, just don't ask, obey what you should obey.

I saw an unknown object

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: Somewhere in the city I saw an unknown object, fresh apple green of color, fat and short, rounded shape, moving, shivering, speechless but noisy, I have to show in VT, this is something must not miss in Melbourne.

I saw a Queen

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: I saw a Queen at Chapel street, she is standing over there and I snapped her photo, she is without doubt, a queen, very sure. Probably a lost Queen of a big imperial somewhere we don't know, the way she dress revealed her status, though I am not an Imperialist, I could tell she was a somebody, big people.

Queen

Olembia Guesthouse
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Apartments of South Yarra

Instant Answers: Melbourne

Comments

Melbourne Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Melbourne locals.
Map of Melbourne