Related Melbourne Favorites Tips

• Favorites
    by cjg1

Most Viewed Favorites in Melbourne

• allikat's Profile Photo

City Ambassadors - what a brilliant idea!

by allikat Written Oct 2, 2006

Favorite thing: So there I am, all on my own, in the middle of Melbourne for the first time. Where to go, what to do, and how to get there? Fortunately for me, I stumbled across a couple of charming gentlement dressed all in red and ready to help me find the tram I needed. City Ambassadors are volunteers, ready to help the visitor to Melbourne. You will find these Ambassadors around the central areas of Melbourne, and they are ready to help you with directions, ideas - any general queries you might have. A brilliant idea!

• alisonr's Profile Photo

Jurlique Day Spa at Como

by alisonr Updated Sep 17, 2006

Favorite thing: My mum and I had a fantastic day spa at the Como Centre in Chapel Street South Yarra. Just for Alex-Perth it was the Jurlique day spa. Extremely professional! Pricey but definatly worth it if you are that way inclined! The services are so much better than in regional areas where I live!! What a treat!

• Spa and Resort

I like this one

by l_joo Written Jun 14, 2006

Favorite thing: I like this one, is me standing here, so I like it. A tourist need a place to take photos, this is a place to take photos, tourists came here and immediately take photos here, happy, smiles, again and again, change positions, change angles, take as many as you wish, tourists happy, tourism happy, all happy.

Car number plate

by l_joo Updated Jun 14, 2006

Favorite thing: This is an unavoidable visible object in Melbourne, I have to include in my tip section, no tourists able to not see this thing, impossible to avoid. Tourists once saw the plate know they are in the territory of Melbourne, it tells you you are now in where you should be, a place to be, the place to be.

Melbourne visitor centre

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: When they say Melbourne visitor centre, as a visitor, you should report yourself inside, this is the purpose of visitor centre. Walk in and then tell them politely that you are a visitor that you want to report yourself and they will serve you like a visitor, all visitors should go to visitor centre, never miss it.

Tourists spot

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: Tourists spot, without doubt, this is a tourists spot. This is the open air thing where tourists should come, I'm a tourist, so I came to do what a tourist should do. Why I said tourists spot, because I saw a tourist information office beside it, so I now tell you this is a tourists spot. Tourists spot is for tourists, you are a genius.

Federation Square

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: I was brought here by friends who study at Melbourne University, to see the historical paintings inside this non-common-look building. Our society view is that, if the building looked less common, that must be something not common and so want to see. I went in to see some historical paintings, understanding some history of history of Melbourne and then I took some photos, typical tourists of modern days.

Graduation day at Melbourne University

by l_joo Updated Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: Graduation day at Melbourne University is for Malaysian citizen of 'Non-Bumi status' to obtain a 'status' in society. In Malaysia, government wants to make sure inhabitants Muslims-Malay go to university fully financed, Non-Muslims-OtherEthnic must self pay (money from parents) abroad in Melbourne or other universities in Europe, US, NZ, etc to obtain a Master Degree or higher. One of my friend was here study medicine and the purpose I came here was partly to see his graduation. His 7 years total studies in medicine cost his father some RM700,000.00 (2.8 exchange with Australian Dollar), the money is approximately the value of 3 double-storey terrace houses in Kuala Lumpur, is about 20 years of his father's working savings. I was invited here and I saw a sea of Malaysian Non-Muslims-OtherEthnic students, their parents came to attend their graduation, a lifetime achievement.

Since 1970s, the Muslims-Malay lack economy skills, lack competency, over crutches-dependent, therefore the Muslims-Malay government financed them to study overseas and in all local universities, whereas Non-Muslims-OtherEthnic must self finance in higher education, this is to have a balance in economy Malaysia. Btw this is highly sensitive topic in Malaysia, is like Israel & Palestine, is not allow to question or ask, offenders will be punished and throw into prison.

I am a non-Muslims-Malay and for me to question this topic is an offence, is a crime.

A sign of prospering

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: A whole bunch of shoppers is a sign of prospering, they want to shop meaning there are quantity shops to shop and that is a sign of prospering. Shoppers want to make sure there are enough shops for them to shop, tourists as well, and if we upload a picture full of shoppers then shoppers and tourists will not want to leave.

City skyline

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: In tourism, you must always upload some nice looking city skyline to attract tourists, everybody did so, is probably a must to show tourists the city is extremely thriving, flourishing, prospering or well developed. By doing this, tourists who are willing to spend money believe they have chosen a right place, and then the city's economy would go up. So this time, in this tip, I also want to do a 'city skyline' beautifully to attract tourists.

I saw a pig

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: I saw a pig somewhere at Lygon street (if I not mistaken), this is a non-halal material in Malaysia where a pig or a dog is always sensitive, not allow to question. Here I saw a pig as a welcome sign to attract customers in front of the shop, unbelievable to Islamic peoples, welcome by non-Islamic peoples. Do not ask this kind of question, it's very sensitive and it's a common sense, just don't ask, obey what you should obey.

I saw an unknown object

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: Somewhere in the city I saw an unknown object, fresh apple green of color, fat and short, rounded shape, moving, shivering, speechless but noisy, I have to show in VT, this is something must not miss in Melbourne.

I saw a Queen

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: I saw a Queen at Chapel street, she is standing over there and I snapped her photo, she is without doubt, a queen, very sure. Probably a lost Queen of a big imperial somewhere we don't know, the way she dress revealed her status, though I am not an Imperialist, I could tell she was a somebody, big people.

Tram sitting & watching

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: Inside a tram to Chapel street, I was sitting as usual and later I saw 3 students walked in, they talk non-stop, all of them girls and one of them was very special. She put her legs up on the tram seat and then occasionally let one down, and then up, then left, then right, I have a camera ready on my hand, so I snap it.

Garbage machine

by l_joo Written Jun 13, 2006

Favorite thing: Garbage machine I called it, don't know what name it was, looks like a garbage collecting vehicle. I never saw anything like this, there's nothing like this in where I live, this one is obviously much better looking, aesthetical maybe or cool, whatever it is, I think this machine is worth a look.

Melbourne Hotels

1 Review & Opinion
Apartments of South Yarra
Latest: Jan 24, 2014

Instant Answers: Melbourne

Comments

Melbourne Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Melbourne locals.
Map of Melbourne