Melbourne Restaurants

Harmee - Beware this is spicy
    by cheerssweetie
  • Start of Chinatown - cnr Swanston & Little Bourke
    Start of Chinatown - cnr Swanston &...
    by fishandchips
    Gudeg with the trimmings
    by Orchid

Most Recent Restaurants in Melbourne

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

Various Cafes in and around the CBD: Melbournes Coffee Culture.

by swissfondue Updated Aug 27, 2013

Melbourne has become quite famous for its cafe culture and a reason for this is the excellent coffee.

I'm always up for a coffee and the following cafes are on my great coffee list:

St Ali - Yarra Place South Melbourne

Favorite Dish: COFFEE

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

Top Paddock

by swissfondue Updated Aug 26, 2013

Top Paddock is a great breakfast/brunch venue but not if you are in a hurry. Expect to queue for quite a while on weekends and then be seated at a communal table. There is both indoor and outdoor seating. This casual eatery boasts a chatty atmosphere from a predominantly young crowd. Terrific coffee though (five senses) and nicely presented tasty dishes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients.

My favourites are:
    Eggs benedict with hamhock, the snapper, the ocean trout and the free range pulled pork.

Favorite Dish: http://www.toppaddockcafe.com/menu/jan-2013.pdf

Nelayan: Good Value Indonesian

by Orchid Updated Aug 17, 2013
    Basic interior

Nelayan has been on Swanston Street in the city for over 10 years, and is always packed with Indonesian students, especially at lunchtimes.

The menu includes staple indonesian dishes - sate, nasi rendang, ayam goreng, with a few harder to find dishes, such as my favourite, batagor (bakso tahu goreng), fried tofu & fish ball with peanut sauce.

You can get 2 or 3 selections from the bain marie with rice for only $8 or $9.

Favorite Dish: The batagor is great - bite sized chunks of deep fried tofu & fish balls. The tofu is really crisp and light. Peanut sauce quite good too.

Warung Gudeg: Jalan Malioboro comes to Melbourne

by Orchid Written Aug 2, 2013
    Gudeg with the trimmings

Warung Gudeg is the only place in Melbourne you can get the iconic dish of Central Java, Nasi Gudeg. A 'Komplit' is enough for 2 and includes the stew of young jackfruit (cooked with palm sugar, spices and coconut milk), and the traditional sides of a stew of crispy beef skin, plus tofu, boiled egg and chicken in coconut milk. It is mildly spicy, and eated with rice. You can add some sambal if you need it to be spicier.

Other dishes include sate with lontong (Indonesian rice cake), Siomay bandung (potato, stuffed tofu and fish cakes with spicy peanut sauce) and various types of sate.

Favorite Dish: Came to try out the gudeg, and it was pretty good.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

The Cricketers Bar: A touch of nostalgia

by IreneMcKay Updated Jul 15, 2013
    In the Cricketers Bar.

The Cricketers Bar is inside the Windsor Hotel. The bar features an outstanding collection of cricketing memorabilia courtesy of the prestigious Melbourne Cricket Club.

Photographs of both English and Australian teams from the 1800’s and 1900’s adorn the walls and a Sir Donald Bradman bat, memorabilia signed by Shane Warne take pride of place.

I'm not into cricket but my husband is. We both enjoyed looking at the memorbilia. A very exciting Australia v New Zealand match was on during our visit. Australia managed to pull their way back fom the dead to win. Lots of atmosphere.

Happy hour
    Monday-Friday from 4pm-6pm on a range of drinks.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

Gatto Rosso Trattoria: By the Family, For the Family

by Orchid Written May 8, 2013

A home style experience in this small family run restaurant. You walk past the bar to a small group of tables. The decor is simple and the lighting is good (by this I mean you can see your food!).
    Staff are friendly and attentive, but sometimes forget things - had to be reminded to bring water to the table.
    The food was fine, tasty and good serving sizes. A bit of variety is on offer with a selection of entrees, mains and pasta. We chose and enjoyed the slice porterhouse tuscan style, fried calamari and the home made ravioli.
    Affogatto made a good choice of desert.
    Prices are about standard for the area.

Open Tuesday to Sunday

Waterfront: Incredible Food with a River View

by cjg1 Updated Apr 23, 2013

My wife toasting to a good meal (November 2012)

We chose to enjoy a lunch here at the Waterfront after enjoying a nice stroll along the water. What brought us here was the large chalkboard listing of specials that announced some really tasty specials such as paella and a pot of mussels. I was in the mood for a good paella and my wife adores mussels so off we went for some lunch.

The restaurant is right on the waterfront, hence the name with a large indoor dining room, outdoor terrace for al fresco dining and a large raw bar. We were seated on the large outdoor patio with a good view of the water. We were fortunate to have a nice day in the mid/high 70’s with a small breeze; so dining outside would be comfortable. We began with some drinks; a beer for me and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc for my wife. Our waiter brought a platter of bread and butter for the table as we perused the menu.

Despite the many tasty menu offerings I chose the Paella lunch special that has caught my eye. My wife chose the Mussel lunch special which she had spied on the chalk board. I have to say this is a great location; the view of the water and city are excellent plus all the people watching. We were so distracted by the skyline and happenings on the waterside that we hardly noticed our food’s arrival to the table.

My paella was a huge portion and I was glad I brought my appetite. There was so much seafood piled on that I dug right in. The chicken, sausage, clams, mussels and shrimp were all very good and well cooked. The rice was very flavorful and perfectly done, not a least bit gummy in texture. My wife’s mussels arrived in a large mussel pot with a side of garlic bread. The mussels were in a white wine sauce which was very tasty. I have developed an appreciation of mussels over the years, thanks entirely to my wife and upon sampling one, I found it quite good.

After such a delicious and filling meal, we couldn’t even think of dessert. We just sat back and finished our drinks while watching the activity around us. To me this was a great find for lunch; good location, good food and reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish: The Paella was amazing! I'd order it again and again.

Cube at the Heights: Good food in a new location

by Orchid Written Mar 29, 2013

Chef Latif Emini has worked in many of Melbourne's top hotels, serving gourmet food to the great and good.

Cube at the Heights though is a different beast. The menu includes breakfasts, salads, pizaa and the usual bistro favourites, prepared to more exacting standards than is usual.

Greensborough is short of good places to eat, so the Cube is a welcome addition

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed a special treat at the Cube. A specially designed 6 course gourmet feast, sponsored by our friends the Daniel family, and with proceeds going to Royal Childrens Hospital CIKA Charity.

Highlights were a delicious scallop risotto, and snapper fillet on eggplant and potato and lamb cutlets.

Cafe Rosco: Good value Pizza

by Orchid Written Mar 29, 2013

Dropped in here twice with friends for a pre-concert feed. The pizzas are good value, nice crisp crust and generous topping.

Service prompt and friendly, reasonably priced drinks during Happy Hour (5-7pm)

• ines2003's Profile Photo

zios: go and try european food

by ines2003 Written Feb 17, 2013

This place is hard to fault, all the food we tried was amazing, with the highlights being plate. The food is so fresh and is cooked to perfection. The service was perfect, and the staff is so friendly and accommodating to our needs.

Favorite Dish: the duck plate and the seafood platter.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

HQ: Food is Crap

by cjg1 Updated Jan 24, 2013

BLT & Chips

We arrived in Melbourne during a heat wave with temperatures soaring. We checked into our hotel and decided to eat lunch at the restaurant in the Lobby, HQ instead of venturing out in the swealtering heat again.

The restaurant looked very nice with a good menu and nice decor. We had a seat at one of the booths and mulled over the lunch menu. I chose their BLT and my wife decided on some Fish & Chips. We ordered our drinks along with some glasses of water. Drinks came but the water didn't. We had to track down another server for some water as we were still very parched from the heat outside.

Food arrived and looked good. Now the search for utensils began. There was no utensils and napkins...and no waiter to be found. We actually had to go to the bar and help ourselves to forks, knives and napkins. My sandwich was blah, with overly done bacon. My wife's Fish & Chips were blah and soggy. When we had given up on our lunch it was another adventure to track down a check.

Belgian Bier Cafe: Delicious Mussels

by cjg1 Updated Jan 22, 2013

Now that's pot of mussels(December 2012)

My wife and I are big fans of mussels so we knew we would be happy with luch here at the Belgian Bier Cafe. We have visited the Sydney location many times and have loved the food; so we decided to give one of their Melbourne locations a try(they have two locations here in Melbourne). We chose the Riverside location primarily due to its proximity to our local explorations that day.

The restaurant is about two blocks or so behind the River off the main tourist drag. We found the location very easily and went inside. Inside was a large bar area with bar tables with high stools, the main dining room and a second floor of seating. We chose one of the high bar tables and had a seat. A server came by to hand us some menus. The menu is full of belgian specialties along with a rather extensive beer listing. It didn't take us long to decide as we both knew we wanted some of their tasty mussel pots. My wife chose here mussels in a white wine broth and I decided to have the spicy chilli mussels which I loved in the Sydney location just a week earlier. I made my way to the bar to place our food and drink order.

After getting settled in with our drinks; I really staretd to relax. This place has a nice casual, no worries vibe to it which suits us nicely. We were so relaxed and enjoying our conversation that time flew by and our meal arrived. The mussel pots were pilled high with those tasty mollusks we so love. A sizeable bowl of chips came with each order along with some mayo for dipping. We had to wait a few minutes before digging in; the mussels were piping hot. Once we began to eat I was happy. The mussels were fresh and a good quality with sweet meat. The chilli sauce was just as good as it was in Sydney. My wife also loved her mussels especially the sauce. We ate until our mussel pots were empty and then onto dipping the chips in the remaining sauce...yum.

I loved this lunch; it was filling, tasty and a reasonably priced. We'll definitely come back here for a meal when we visit Melbourne again.

Favorite Dish: The mussels! Incredibly flavorful and fresh...yum!

Lindt Chocolate Cafe: Love Their Ice Cream

by cjg1 Updated Jan 22, 2013

Yum...it's the best ice cream around

The Lindt Chocolate Cafe was a treat for us in Melbourne. We love Lindt Ice Cream and have enjoyed in their Sydney Cafes; so we were delighted to find it available in Melbourne.

The Cafe has a retail section that sells the signature Lindt chocolate items: Truffles, bars, boxed chocolates, and seasonal specialties. The retail area also sells their ice cream by the cone and other sweet treats such as their pastries and macarons. The cafe is a sit down table service where their ice cream treats, sundaes, milkshakes, cakes and coffee drinks are available.

We visited the shop twice during our visit to Melbourne to indulge in some ice cream cones. I am a fan of the Sable ice cream which is a cookies and cream type ice cream with pieces of chocolate cookie throughout. My wife loves their 70% cocoa ice cream but it is just too rich for my taste. The cones are freshly made waffle cones; perfect for their sweet and creamy ice cream on top.

As always I love their ice cream and wish their was a Lindt Cafe in our area back home!

Favorite Dish: Ice Cream cones!!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Chokolait: Try the chocolate banana cake

by wise23girl Updated Nov 21, 2012

Around a corner in a Melbourne arcade you will stumble on Chokolait. We were there in a lull and just loved the corner where there were some comfy chairs and couches ...brown ones (chokolait colour) I think from memory.

Well you do have to like chocolate as there are chocolate drinks and chocolate food and just plain (well not really plain) boxes of chocolate
    Now I found a little brochure there you might like to know about...you can pick one up for yourself when you visit Chokolait....it tells you about the Chocoholic Tours held on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays ...but you can also phone
    +61(0) 3 9686 4655 or +61 (0) 412 158 017 for details and to book.

Favorite Dish: Chocolate of course and yes the banana cake was very special...sort of layered. There was a green chocolate frog as well!.......but the green frog was eaten very quickly so I do not have a photo

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

The Waiting Room: Drinks and Small Plates

by wise23girl Updated Nov 19, 2012

Enjoy a snack...a drink while you wait to meet friends...then invite the friends to join you in this great little place...Maybe try a cocktail or a coffee. And they do have hot chocolate.

There are cosy spots inside or you can sit and watch the action in the foyer section of the Crown hotel. Not sure what was happening but on Saturday we saw at least 5 brides coming and going.
    Maybe the reception or even the wedding night was in the Hotel.

Open from 12md till late.

Recalling
    certain gentleman of other days
    who made of drinking
    one of the pleasures of life.......................................
    from The Old Waldorf-Astoria Bar Book 1985

Favorite Dish: I enjoy watching the tea making as they add the water in front of your eyes and one waiter poured the water from "very high". I especially liked a combination of white and green tea "Dragon Well Green" $7.50

Mostly you enjoy the snacks but they do offer small meals as well.

Our most recent visit 2012....a new menu but very delicious....and very pleasant staff.

"Enjoy Your Wait"

Instant Answers: Melbourne

Melbourne Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Melbourne restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Melbourne sightseeing.