Melbourne Restaurants

Harmee - Beware this is spicy
    by cheerssweetie
  • Start of Chinatown - cnr Swanston & Little Bourke
    Start of Chinatown - cnr Swanston &...
    by fishandchips
    Gudeg with the trimmings
    by Orchid

Best Rated Restaurants in Melbourne

INDIA-HOUSE ON HIGH: INDIAN

by aussiejen Written Jan 15, 2006

What a terrific find this little place was! It is a family owned and run restaurant. Father cooks while mother and son look after the customers. Although, having said that, she told us that she does a lot of the prep.
    We were well looked after, nothing was too much trouble. A bowl of great chilli sauce was brought out after we said one of the dishes (chicken tikka masala) wasn't hot enough for us.
    Everything we ordered was superb, including the bread. The Garlic Naan was good, but the Aloo Paratha (thin bread filled with spiced potatoes & coriander) was even better.
    If you're not sure what to order, they will advise......best way to go I think.

Open 7 nights a week from 6pm. Take away also available. Home delivery to surrounding areas.

Fully licensed & BYO wine.

I can highly recommend this restaurant. I will be going back again.

• jeffmartinartist's Profile Photo

Pearl: For the best we have to offer in Melbourne

by jeffmartinartist Updated Jun 10, 2008

Melbourne has a lot of very good restaurants and I think this is one of our best.

Geoff Lindsay, chef and owner of Pearl has been given the great talent of being able to blend techniques and flavors from many cultures. This east meets west thing has been around for quite a while and can so easily go wrong. Not here, the food is wise, it comes out of a respect for technique and is not restricted by old world traditions.
    The look of the restaurant is modern and if you don’t book in advance you just won't get in. The wine list is very good, as you would expect with a menu that is about to test your palate.

This is not inexpensive, but Melbourne food prices are better than most and if this restaurant was in London or New York I would never get the opportunity to write about it, let alone experience it.

Favorite Dish: Try fish always good. to see current menu visit the restaurant web site.

• Business Travel
    • Luxury Travel

BLOK M: AUTHENTIC INDONESIAN

by aussiejen Updated Jan 11, 2006

We had not planned on eating at this restaurant, but spotted it on our way to another. It's not too hard to change our minds about where to eat when we see Indonesian food.
    My Mum was born in Indonesia so consequently we were brought up on a lot of Indonesian food.
    This would have to be the best authentic Indonesian food I've eaten outside of Bali.
    Admittedly a lot of people would probably walk past this place without giving it a second glance, it looks very ordinary and basic.
    Don't sit at the table waiting for service, there isn't any! Order at the counter, collect your own cutlery and glasses. But, it was worth doing this to eat the superb food.
    The price is so cheap. It cost $40 for 3 of us....... prawn crackers, 2 entrees, 3 mains and a bottle of water. We walked out of there feeling very full.
    I will certainly be making this little place a regular.

I was so busy enjoying the food that I forgot to take photos :(

Favorite Dish: The Lumpia (spring rolls) were ordinary... wouldn't bother ordering those again.
    The Martabak Telur (savoury pancake) was superb. It looked like a little pillow. Deep fried, with a lamb filling.
    We shared mains : Satay Ayam (chicken satay).......the absolute best satay sauce!!
    Mie Goreng (noodles) was really nice too.
    Nasi Goreng (fried rice) was soooo tasty!!

Most dishes are about $9.00, generous serves.

Take away is available. Open 7 days, 12.00pm - 11.00pm.

LEMNOS: GREEK

by aussiejen Written Mar 7, 2006

HOMEMADE PORK SAUSAGE

There are lots of Greek restaurants in and around Melbourne This is probably due to the fact that Melbourne has the largest Greek population outside of Greece.

I've been to this place twice now, and have loved the food both times. The only drawback is the noise. When I've been (Friday & Saturday night) it has been very full and very noisy! But I guess I liked the food enough to go back again :)

If you go on a Saturday night you're in for a treat..........a belly dancer will entertain you, and if you're lucky (or unlucky?) you'll even to get to dance with her!!

Favorite Dish: I haven't tried everything on the menu, but what I have tasted so far has been very good.
    Last time we were there we were given a complimentary dish of pan fried calamari. It was superb.....melted in the mouth : ) Guess what I'm ordering next time?

Dessert has been complimentary both times too. Fresh fruit and a selection of Greek sweets..baklava etc. Only small pieces but who cares when it's free!!!!

The pork sausage (can't remember the correct name) is delicious too.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Piazza Vittoria: Take a Break from the Queen Victoria Market

by ATXtraveler Updated Apr 4, 2011

Piazza Vittoria

I am not sure if I liked this place because I was delirious from shopping, or just liked putting my feet up. The key to a successful restaurant is location.... and this little cafe has a wonderful location. Located just out the Queen Victoria Market, this place clearly got alot of foot traffic, and it definitely keeps your attention with good food.

I enjoyed a good chicken ciabatta, and Sarah had a good pasta dish.

• jeffmartinartist's Profile Photo

Da Noi: My first choice for an Italian meal in Melbourne

by jeffmartinartist Updated Aug 2, 2005

This is not just Italian restaurant it is a Sardinian restaurant. There is no written menu so if you are in a seafood mood or you are vegetarian just tell your waiter. The food is spectacular and the presentation of the same dish may vary from plate to plate as may the ingredients. It is like you are eating in the home of a very competent Sardinian cook and that cook is out to show off. I like the element of surprise and I have never been disappointed. The closest thing to Da Noi I have ever come across is Restorante Calsettano in Calasetta Sardigna however this is closer to home.

Favorite Dish: Rabbit is always done well here and the antipasti to start really gets your taste buds in the mood for all the flavours to come. The wine list is all Italian and if you are not sure, again trust your waiter. Buon Appetito

• ray_d's Profile Photo

Il Pomodoro: Casalinga Italiana

by ray_d Updated Apr 7, 2004

The Tables are heavy

Semi-largish unattractive place without decoration.
    Location is hardly flattering and visually not very inviting to street traffic.
    It lives in a shopping strip between a newsagent and a tailor.

HOWEVER:
    The Bar is reasonably stocked and does not stand on formality.
    The food is what one is used to if they had an Italian Mamma with a flair for presentation.
    The taste is country and heavy in taste. The bread is bread and the Butter is real.
    Service can be a trying as the damn place has become too popular.

I particularly like the way the food is plentiful without losing on quality. No never mind the quality feel the width here!
    Tasty and authentic without having to resort to sauces that pretty the offering but betray the traditional dish for the sake of being artistic. Too many Artists spoil the broth.

I lika verry much...Mamma, pleese... can I have a leetle more?

Favorite Dish: The Pork...gotta have the Pork!

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Claypots: Best Fish (St Kilda)

by leffe3 Written Apr 13, 2004

An institution in Melbourne - if you see a table free, grab it! Unlikely that chance will come again in your lifetime -:)

Tiny place squeezed in just off Acland St, tables are close together, the tiny kitchen somehow manages to turn out food for the masses.

There is a slight twist in that there is a fairly large courtyard out back, but even so, within an hour of opening in the evening (opens 6pm) there is rarely a table free until approx 930pm.

No reservations taken other than on the night itself and in person. When they say they will phone you to let you kow when a table is free, they mean it and they do!

Favorite Dish: Claypots are the attraction (Moroccan, Keralan, Mexican etc) but I reckon its the fish to go for here. Cold counter fridge displays the catch of the day, with the Black Board menu highlighting the prices. Fish you've never heard of, fish you don't recognise. But ask the waitress - some fish will come in one size only, others enough to serve 1, 2 or 4. Slight flavourings are added, but its the fish itself that is allowed to bask in its own juices and glory here. Usually, the food is amazing.
    And its a BYO, so nip round the corner (I wouldn't recommend the wine shop next door) for your favourite tipple and away you go.

• kyoub's Profile Photo

Casa Malaya: Malay food

by kyoub Written Sep 23, 2004

We saw a Malaysian restaurant listed in Lonely Planet with a high rating so we had to find it and see for ourselves.
    It was within walking distance of our hotel, so we walked there in the rain.
    The restaurant was called Casa Malaya and it was very nice with very good food.
    I am not a big fan of Malay food but I had tofo something and it was super. My husband loves all Malaysian food so I don't know what all he had.

The River: Restaurant with a great viw

by dmirebella Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sashimi on salmon starter

For a modern outlook to dining, its definately worth going to Southgate and with it - plenty of choices for a quick cuppa or even a romantic meal to woo your date.

After plenty of debate - The River was where we headed to and it wasnt a dissapointment *thank God*. Due to a mindboggling selection, the lunch special was selected and lets say.. its worth every mouthful. .. I could not even finish my dishes!

Favorite Dish: The fish. Mind you ... I did eye some of the meals on the other patrons table and the lobster or the oyster dish jz looked absolutely YUMMY!

No specifics .. its everywhere.: Cappacino and Cake

by dmirebella Written Oct 23, 2004

Yummy!

Just about everywhere - after a busy day of shopping (either after making damage to the credit card or simply jz window) .. head to a coffeehouse to rejuvenate and to quench that thirst that would have build up .. (not to say to get that much needed sugar fix!).

Favorite Dish: Cant really say any specifics to favourites - it all depends on the taste to be honest.

• dmirebella's Profile Photo

Monarch Cake Shop: Cakes and coffeee.. AGAIN!

by dmirebella Written Oct 26, 2004

Yummy...

Any visit to a place of interest is simply not enough should I not visit a bakery for a cuppa java and some kind of pastry or another. Naturally, I did a stop at Monarch and despite its rather 'oldish' appearance, the friendly staff and excellent selection of mouth watering cakes and sweet things makes the Monarch a must stop area.. dont take my word for it.. this establishment has been operating since 1942.

Favorite Dish: 1. Baci cake
    2. Strawberry Tart
    3. Skinny cappacino

• Study Abroad

• mesoblonda's Profile Photo

Claypots: Seafood galore!

by mesoblonda Updated Jun 7, 2007

Very crowded, popular seafood restaraunt in St. Kilda.

The food will be remembered, memories can definitely be made here.

Strictly BYO with no corkage fee (VERY unlike California, heh, heh!!)

The last thing I heard was the owner was possibly opening another Claypots in Brighton...any of you out there, let me know if it happend!

Favorite Dish: Too many to mention!

• leffe3's Profile Photo

The Near East: Eastern Delights (South Melbourne)

by leffe3 Written Apr 15, 2004

A fusion of spices, influences and decor, The Near East is one of those gems that wins small plaudits from the food critics but scores much much higher with its clientele.

A large airy space, 2 shop fronts wide and wall to wall windows. The lines are clean, the linen white, the walls white and grey, the tables spread out so that you never feel like you are involved in the next table's conversation. Dotted round the rooms (there are three distinct areas) are Thai, Chinese, Vitenamese artefacts. Staff are efficient and friendly.

Favorite Dish: Food is a real fusion - the spices of SEAsia and Indian Subcontinent abound. Expect to see lemongrass, cumin, coriander, chilli, jasmin etc feauture in dishes.

Lamb Rogan Josh one of the best I have ever tasted, and the red duck curry with pineapple fascinating (thankfully this wasn't the 'Queensland' version of a duck curry shot through simply with fresh pineapple). Roti and jasmine rice complete the main course - I will be back!

Wines list is extensive without being overpowering (approx 7-8 options per grape) and good prices ranging from A$30-100 (with by far the majority falling in the lower price bracket of less than A$40)

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Seoul Garden: Add a little Seoul to your life

by ATXtraveler Written May 29, 2005

Seoul Garden

If you are a fan of Korean Food, and good aesthetics, then Seoul Garden would be my choice to refer you to in Melbourne. Found on Exhibition only a couple blocks from the Melbourne Museum, this was one of the first restaurants we tried. I enjoyed the Bulgogi and kimchee especially.

What was neat about this restaurant however was its appearance. Very clean and well designed, this site had plenty of space and was beautifully decorated. Outside, really made you feel like you were in Korea as well!

Favorite Dish: Bulgogi

Instant Answers: Melbourne

Melbourne Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Melbourne restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Melbourne sightseeing.