Mount Dandenong Restaurants

Pie in the Sky, Olinda
    The choice
  • Traditional Aussie
    Traditional Aussie "pie and peas"

Best Rated Restaurants in Mount Dandenong

• tiabunna's Profile Photo

Pie in the SKy: Traditional Aussie Tucker!

by tiabunna Updated Sep 21, 2007

Pie in the Sky, Olinda

Tucked away in a sidestreet at Olinda, you’ll find Pie in the Sky. If Vienna has its hot dogs, the USA hamburgers, then the iconic Australian “instant food” is a meat pie. Here we have a restaurant dedicated to them, in a variety of styles – as seems the norm these days (years ago they were either plain or ‘steak and onion’). The range can be seen in Photo 2

They are presented as main courses, with salad or vegetable accompaniment: Photo 3 shows mine with traditional peas and mashed potato, though being in Victoria it also was served with tomato sauce (which I avoided as I hail from Queensland, where the sauce would have been worcestershire). If you’re not a pie enthusiast, the menu does go further!

For something which really defies the imagination of anyone but a South Australian, how about a pie floating in pea soup? (Photo 4) It’s called a “Pie Floater” and originates in S Aust. To make it totally daunting, some put tomato sauce on top….. This is truly material for “local customs”, though here it’s been introduced as a novelty.

Well, the meals were satisfying and inexpensive; the service was fast and pleasant. Rated as pies against other pie-toriums I’ve visited, I’d put them at about 8/10. But you could do far worse than stop here for lunch – and a pie floater…??

Favorite Dish: Has to be pies!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Snooty Fox Restaurant: Slow as Molasses, But Snooty as a Fox!

by ATXtraveler Written Jul 23, 2005

Snooty Fox

During our trip to the Dandenong Ranges, we enjoyed lunch at a small little restaurant in the town of Olinda. As we drove past this place, the name definitely caught our attention, but we wanted to head up and see the sites at Mt. Dandenong. After we took our crazy hike to go see a plane crash, we were hungry! As the title of my tip may have alluded, the Snooty Fox probably was not the best pick! The service was SLOW.... but I have to admit, the food was good. I would recommend going there as the pumpkin soup was delicious, so was the turkey dinner I had, and the dessert finished it off nicely.

If they could have turned up the service a tad, this would have been a really great experience.

Open 11am - 11pm, Wednesday through Sunday
    11am - 5pm on Public Holidays.

Fully LIcensed and BYO available.

• Wine Tasting

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Sky High Cafe: Top of the Mountain!

by ATXtraveler Written Jul 23, 2005

If you are headed to the top of Mount Dandenong and are going to stop in at Sky High Mt. Dandenong, you most likely will want to take advantage of their parking scheme. It is 4 dollars to park here, but that is fully re-imbursed if you stay and eat at the cafe in the building. There were many items to choose from, so it was well worth the 4 dollars! If nothing suits your fancy, you can also use the 4 dollars toward any gift items.

Hope you have a great trip!

Instant Answers: Mount Dandenong

Comments

Mount Dandenong Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mount Dandenong restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mount Dandenong sightseeing.

View all Mount Dandenong hotels