Narre Warren Travel Guide

• Narre Warren
  • Narre Warren
    by craic
    No moon to howl at during the daytime.

Narre Warren Things to Do

• by callkm Written Apr 21, 2009

Listerfield Park is a 10-15 minute drive from Narre Warren -straight down Narre Warren North Rd and turn left.
    The park has a large lake with barbeque facilities, a grassed area, tables with bench seats and a sand bar down to the water just like at the beach. A great place to take the family for a weekend picnic. Swimming in the lake, walking through the tracks in the park, bike riding in the park, everything for a relaxing and cheap day out with the family.

The lake was closed for a time due to algae a few years back and in light of the bushfires in the area in early 2009 it may be wise to contact the Dandenong Council before you go to check on swimming and if open.

• National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

• by callkm Written Apr 21, 2009

If you like shopping and have had enough of the indoors of Fountain Gate Shopping Centre then Tuesday and Fridays you can go to the Dandenong Market. They have a bit of everything there - clothes, toys, meat, fruit & veg, electronics, beauty,etc and usually you can get a bargain or 2.
    On Wednesdays and Sundays there is the Carrabean Gardens Market in Scoresby, about 20 minutes drive. Also great and you can always pick up a bargain but you have to pay to get in on Sunday - (about $2.50 per adult) and its always sooo packed on Sundays. Here they also have a lake with pedal boat rides and alot of other amusements for the family.

Other places for shopping in the area are Trash and Treasure markets on Sundays at the Dandenong DriveIn site on South Gippsland Hwy, Cranbourne Shopping Centre, Dandenong city, Boutiques in Berwick.
    There is just about everything you need in the area

by craic Updated Aug 27, 2007

Quite the artistic hub of the area. A very large library with a go ahead arts programme - they have concerts, they have visiting authors, they have writing workshops - they have all sorts.

Staff are helpful and friendly - they have what seems like acres of books. Plus banks of computers which you can use for free. You have to book of course. But sometimes you can get lucky. The computers do have cute names - from Star Wars I think, or something like that -so don't go all blank and confused like I did when they told me Travis was free.

It is very very close to Fountaingate Mall so first you get your Mall Culture then you get another sort of Culture.

In the pic Amelia looks so delighted because she had just checked her email and found the Barcelona Review had taken one of her poems.

This could happen to you too - in darkest Narre Warren.

Barcelona wants my poem!

Narre Warren Nightlife

by craic Updated Aug 25, 2007

What a happening place.
    Live music - all sorts and types up and dancing. Like banshees or werewolves.
    Do I remember seeing one band member on top of the piano? I think I do. Maybe it was an hallucination.
    I do remember the conga line of older types intruding on the bar area.
    Patient yet jaded bartenders just putting up with the fun.
    I danced my little cotton socks off and got rid of one heap of karma - and no one looked twice at me.
    Very very cool.
    When I was the only one dancing at The Rialto in the Jewish Quarter in Rome - I really missed this place. I could not believe that you could have more fun in Narre Warren than in Rome.

Then we tried to get into The Furnace - the dance club - just across the way.
    We stood in line. Old woman, her daughter in a halo brace and cool young brit guy - just a clubbing fool.
    The Maori door guy (they tend to be Maoris or Samoans or Tongans in Melbers - don't know why it is just the way of it) checked me out. Checked the daughter in the halo brace (imagine a metal wigwam around the head) and then we were rejected because cool clubbing fool brit guy was in track pants.

But I think the door guy was being kind and picked the least obvious one to save our feelings.

So we went home. So I cannot write a tip about The Furnace. The music sounded really pumping. As we drove away.

Dress Code: It's the track pants that will kill you - every time.

UPDATE NEWSFLASH STOP PRESS

I was there in August 2007 and Howl At The Moon had closed. Not shifted. Closed. I suppose everybody was having too much fun.

I am actually gutted.

No moon to howl at during the daytime.

Narre Warren Shopping

by craic Updated Oct 9, 2007

Apologies to those who don't know the hilarious Aussie sit com Kath and Kim - but this is their Mall.
    So it can be quite an ironic experience shopping here. But damn it is a Mall and as Malls go it is not a bad Mall.
    I have made some astute purchases here.
    And their cinema complex seems to be quite go ahead. The iconic movie Kenny (about a dunny bloke) had a preview week here - (so there were only 5 in the screening we went to??? at least they gave it a preview week).

I have also had a pleasant glass of wine or two in the bar - it is possible to get on the right side of the hard bitten waitresses - and we saw many of Kath and Kim's friends and relations pass by as we sat by the windows.

By the way - this bar - close to the cinemas has blazoned on the door as part of the dress code - No Hats Allowed.

But they do allow hats. Don't know what that is about.

What to buy: You can get anything you want - except maybe class.

One of the entrances.

Narre Warren Favorites

• by callkm Written Apr 21, 2009

Favorite thing: Narre Warren is a town that has quadrupled in size in the last 20 years therefore adjoining the towns around it. It is now considered to be a suburb of Melbourne. Narre Warren is a nice place in the middle of everything. We have a very large shopping centre called Fountain Gate, markets are 15 and 25 minute drives away, or if you want something posher there's Berwick 10 minutes away or something larger there's Chadstone about 35minutes drive in the opposite direction. If its scenery you want then the Dandenong Ranges and Belgrave (Puffing Billy steam engine) are 30 minutes to the North, several beautiful beaches are within 30 minutes drive to the south, South east its a one hour drive to Phillip Island where there are fantastic tourist attractions - go see the little penguins, the koala conservation park, the seals at the Nobbies and other attractions.
    The roads are good to drive on, short drives for access to freeways to the city, to Frankston and to the North and to Pakenham.
    Unable to comment on the public transport system as l do not use it - sorry.
    We have an indoor aquatic centre right next to Fountain Gate shopping centre or there's an indoor wave pool just up the road in Pakenham. Playgrounds, Parks, Sporting fields and stadiums are in abundance in the area also.
    We have 3 public hospitals within 30 minutes drive from Narre Warren and many local doctor's surgeries that bulk bill if you are accepted through our medicare system.

Instant Answers: Narre Warren

Comments

Narre Warren Travel Guide
Map of Narre Warren