Port Fairy Restaurants

Looks better than it tasted....
  • Restaurants
  • Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Port Fairy

• EllenH's Profile Photo

Dublin House: Nice atmosphere and good food and wine

by EllenH Updated Aug 7, 2004

This was the restaurant associated with the hotel, very convenient and very pretty dining room.

Favorite Dish: I had beef, my friend had fish, and a really nice bottle of wine (Peter Lehmann Clancys cab/shiraz/ merlot 2001) very nice.

• Festivals
    • Wine Tasting

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Caledonian Hotel - The Stump: A steak for all

by iandsmith Updated Oct 16, 2003

The food here was basic pub fare, which means you won't go away hungry but you won't feel like you've had gourmet food either. The vegetables and salad you serve yourself from the bain maries and you order at the front counter (read bar).

Favorite Dish: Now here is a dish that deserves world-wide fame - The Stump Rump. A never-to-be-forgotten hunk of beef that will satisfy even the hungriest sumo wrestler. The man at the table beside us ordered one and, in my entire life, I have never seen one as big. It completely covered the large oval plate he had and hung over the edge.- enormous!
    My suggestion would be that two or three of you order it and get a side plate of salad or veggies.

• Study Abroad

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Cobb's Bakery: Incredible Apple Streudel

by cjg1 Updated Dec 19, 2012

My wife and I were exploring the town of Port Fairy when we discovered Cobb's Bakery. It was hours until dinner time and we wanted something sweet to tide us over until our evening meal. The Bakery has several large display cases filled with an array of sweet and savory temptations: cookies, pies, breads, pastry and cakes.

Something caught our eye in the main display case; a large piece of Apple Streudel. My wife and I love Apple Streudel and this one looked too good to resist. We ordered a piece of streudel to share and had a seat at one of the many high tables in the bakery. From the first bite, I love this streudel. It is everything a good streudel should be; flaky, buttery crust and firm not mushy cooked apples. Yes, this was a find for us for sure. We enjoyed our sweet treat and was happy to have found such a good bakery in town with very resonable prices(the Streudel was $3.20AUD).

Drool worthy Apple Streudel

• tigerjapan's Profile Photo

Port Fairy Fish and Chips: Funniest Stop To Get Some Fish & Chips

by tigerjapan Written Sep 10, 2005

Our decision to buy fish and chips and take it home to eat was a good option. The Port Fairy Fish & Chip shop was run by two hilarious women... possibly called Liz & Vicky (but they could have been working under aliases). They were so friendly and out-going and had all four of us in stitches. For the comedy value alone I suggest you pop in and engage them in conversation. A great experience!!!

Favorite Dish: It's your average fish and chip shop and everything tasted just as it should

• tigerjapan's Profile Photo

Belfast Bakery & Tearooms: Irish Heritage and Good Baked Goods

by tigerjapan Written Sep 10, 2005

Unpretentious shop front with cafe room out back for old style baked goods and a cup of tea. Good bread and other baked goods. Friendly service.

Open: 7 Days, 8-5.30pm, Sat/Sun 8-2pm.; Seats Inside 35, Seats Outside 6

Favorite Dish: We bought bread for breakfast.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Wishart's at the Wharf: Make a Wish, Eat a Fish

by ATXtraveler Written Sep 7, 2005

As we drove through Warrnambool, we realized there were not any restaurants on the water that were easily accessible. At that point, we figured we would keep going into the quaint town of Port Fairy.

When we went to the wharf, we noticed that it was not a large place, but Wishart's seemed to have a nice crowd.

The atmosphere was nice, and it had alot of fishing art in the place. We decided on sharing a seafood platter for 2 amongst the four of us. I would say it was enough food for a light meal with 4 people, but would be more than healthy (or unhealthy) for 2.

It was a mix of calamari, scallops, fish, shrimp, fries and salad.

Nothing to write home about, but it tasted good. If I were to recommend anything, I would skip the restaurant and just order take away. It would save you some money and service there was nothing special.

Wishart's Port Fairy

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Port Pizza: Not the best Pizza

by cjg1 Updated Jan 22, 2013

My wife and I were staying in Port Fairy for the night during our Great Ocean Road Adventure. It was dinnertime and we were both very hungry. We came upon Port Pizza during our walk through town and decided to try it out.

The inside is pretty basic with a large posted menu above the counter and several tables throughout the space. After mulling over our choices we decided to have a large Margherita pizza and some cokes. We places the order at the counter and had a seat with our drinks. A few minutes later a small boy(definitely the owner's son), came over with place settings. He was a good kid, polite and friendly(went back to doing some school work at a back table after he was done with us).

As we waited for our pizza we noticed that this place does some serious take out business. We assume it's the only pizza place in town,as we never came across another during our time here. About 15 minutes after our order was placed; our pizza arrived. It looked very good with a large amount of cheese on top. We dug into our slices with anticipation but were highly dissapointed. Yes, it was cheesey but the crust was very dry and there was little sauce under the cheese. The cheese was good but that was about it. If we weren't so hungry/tired we probably would have left it and gone elsewhere.

Service here was good but maybe another choice of pizza would have been better. Can't complain about the price which was rather inexpenisive at only $15 for a large pizza.

Looks better than it tasted....

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Belfast Bakery: Bakery

by Kate-Me Written May 3, 2004

Now you can't get more of an Irish air in a name than this!
    The building is quite old and charming.
    Besides the usual breads you'd expect to find in a Bakery, they've also got several 'out of the ordinary' types of bread not found very often - such as sour doughs and other heavy breads and also several of a type they call "Whalers" which also seem to be a kind of sour dough.
    Prices were quite good too.

Favorite Dish: We had a Garlic and herb Whaler which was rather nice, just eaten plain by itself.

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Pelican Cafe (now has changed to another cafe): Cafe, licenced bar, milkshakes, coffees, etc

by Kate-Me Updated Jan 28, 2006

We only stopped in the cafe for coffee and a milkshake, but the service we received and the friendliness were great....we returned to the same spot 1 year later, to find the cafe was gone, and one less attractive, and a bit more 'chic' and expensive was in it's place.... pity....but the new cafe could still be good, we just didn't try it.

Favorite Dish: Staff of the former Pelican cafe were exceptionally friendly and enquired where we were from (even though it was obvious we were Aussies).
    The restaurant looks very chic - brightly painted, polished floorboards, and like it would be out of our price range, and the coffee was nice. My Blue Heaven milkshake was delicious (I think these are a bit of an Oz specialty - found in most milk bars and cafes which serve milkshakes).

former Pelican cafe

• Rebecca's Cafe: Not what I was expecting

by Becbartel Written Jul 10, 2007

I was looking forward to eating here as I'd read a lot about it, all good. I had the eggs and beans and was very disappointed. Both had no flavour at all and I had to cover it in salt to give some flavour, something I haven't had to do in years. My husband had the mushroom with the shaw river mozzarella which was also tasteless, with only the mozzarella redeeming it. We left feeling ripped off and very disappointed over $40 on a breakfast.

• Wisharts: Don't miss the Fish Pie

by Becbartel Written Jul 10, 2007

We checked wisharts out on a lovely walk along the wharf. We booked in for dinner after having looked at a few places around the town that were a lot more expensive and we got a seat by the window and the fire.

We had a fantastic meal of entrees and mains and a bottle of wine for ~$100 which we were happy with, mains around $AU25, we didn't go the platters as they looked huge!

I can't recommend this more highly. The service was lovely and we'll definately be back.

Favorite Dish: We had the salt and pepper squid, perfectly cooked, a must try, and the whalers loaf YUM.

I had the saffron fish pie for main and it was one of the best hot seafood dishes I've ever had, it was absolutley perfect.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

The Victoria Hotel: Open Plan, airy, lots of light

by leffe3 Updated Jan 29, 2006

We tried 'Portofino', regarded as the best restaurant along this part of the coast (and the menu looked scrummy) but fully booked. Port Fairy is certainly not short of restaurants, so we were spoilt for choice but which one? Two hungry kids helped us make the decision - a place as close as possible to Portofino. Two minutes up the road, The Victoria Hotel sits proudly on the junction of James St and Bank St. The original building (1850s) houses the pub and The Sea Food Bar (sadly open only Monday -Thursday). The new extension houses the more informal cafe/restaurant.

It's one of those big, polished floor and metal/white pine furniture places, lots of windows and high ceilings. Tables fairly well spread out and whilst design is not really a key feature, it is welcoming in a clean, open way. There appeared to be quite a few tables outside at the back, but too cold to wonder out to dine.

***A general observation of eating out in this part of Victoria. Don't be in a hurry!!! Four cafes/restaurants tried - all kept waiting for pretty long periods. At The Victoria Hotel, this was OK as we were kept informed as we went along. See tips for Port Campbell and Warrnambool to see where it all went pear-shaped***

Favorite Dish: Realtively simple menu, fish and seafood aplenty but not exclusively (chicken, lamb and beef all feature). But the speciality of Port Fairy is fresh fish so this should be the mainstay of the meal.

Wine list is extensive and fairly pricey - few bottles (red) to chose from for less than $50. A Margaux is available at $1000 !! But this did not seem to be the environs to be drinking such a tipple , so we passed (yeah, right :)).

The Seafood Linguine special (AUD$25) was fantastic - black mussels, prawns, flake, scallops and with fresh tomato salsa.. Battered fish and chips (AUD$20), featuring two decent size pieces of fish, was excellent. Kids meals are on offer, but with one of the girls being a fan of seafood, no way she did not get the Seafood Linguine rather than the kids size portion of fish & chips (and I'm not daft - knew that there would quite a bit of the linguine left over for myself on that one! Sadly, not as much as I had hoped :). But to see a 7 year old polish off that much seafood and the linguine says a lot !

Oysters excellent too (served with a shallot vinaigrette) as starters and desert something very special - Baileys Creme Brulee not to my taste but wolfed down, home made chocolate ice cream also quickly devoured, leaving me with the delectable orange and lemon tart.

• HarShe's Profile Photo

Ramella: Friendly, homely and convenient

by HarShe Written Mar 22, 2006

Very friendly owners, will go out of the way to please you. The Chef/owner was happy to open his kitchen for us when we reached late for lunch and their kitchen had closed for cleaning.

• Music

Instant Answers: Port Fairy

Comments

Port Fairy Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Port Fairy restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Port Fairy sightseeing.