The Grampians Favorites

White Browed Wren
    by balhannah
    Crimson Rosella enjoying a free feed
    Feeding the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo's

Most Recent Favorites in The Grampians

BIRDLIFE IN THE GRAMPIANS

by balhannah Written Oct 1, 2012

White Browed Wren

Favorite thing: I think if you are a Bird Watcher, then the Grampians is the place for you. I am sure a professional watcher would find many of the 200+ species that have been found in the park.

Just doing the trails, I saw plenty of different Birds. Parrots were in the largest quantity, these are pretty and noisy. You usually can get good photo's of these.
    The little White Browed scrub-wren and the Red Robin, were much harder to photograph, I never did get a clear photo of the Robin. Little Birds move so quickly! Usually I hear them twittering, then I have to find them!

Fondest memory: http://www.grampiansnationalpark.com/wartook/gardens/birds.asp

• Birdwatching
    • National/State Park

BUY LUNCH FROM THE BAKERY

by balhannah Written Sep 28, 2012

Bakery is here!

Favorite thing: A good idea, and what we did before heading out for a day of hiking, is either to make your own lunch and take with you, or buy from the Bakery, which is what we did and can recommend.

The Bakery is located where the Creek crosses the road. Shops are located off the main street and can be easily missed. All products are baked fresh daily, and judging by the business this shop was doing, I think it has a good name. We bought fresh sandwiches and cake to take with us for lunch in one of the parks. Very nice, so the next day we went back for seconds. They sell fresh Bread, sandwiches, meat and salad rolls, croissants, pies, pasties, sausage rolls, cakes, tarts, donuts, slices and probably more!

Outside, there are picnic tables by the creek, quite a pleasant setting to eat your bakery food.

Located at Shop 3, Stony Creek Stores, Halls Gap

LANDSLIDES IN THE GRAMPIANS

by balhannah Written Sep 28, 2012

Landslide through rain

Favorite thing: On this trip to the Grampian's we saw a lot of landslides. As it happened, about a year before we came, nearly a week of torrential rain fell upon the Grampians, causing Mountains to slide away, Bridges to be ripped and tossed around like they were nothing, and roads and pathways were washed away.
    So when you look at a Mountain like in my photo, and see the long stream of rocks heading to the valley, you will know this happened through torrential rain.

• National/State Park

FEED THE COCKATOO'S & PARROT'S

by balhannah Written Sep 27, 2012

Feeding the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo's

Favorite thing: I know, this sounds silly as I have wild Cockatoo's & Parrot's in my back yard, BUT, I don't feed them!

Here, at the Lakeside Caravan Park, I could buy a bag of seed for $1, then go and feed them. The difference here, was although they are wild, they are so used to people and getting a free feed, they follow you as you walk.
    It was just fun, and really they are so cute and inquistive, nearly walking into the Caravan if I hadn't put my foot in the way, lucky I had shoes on, or they might have nipped my toe!
    They sat on our annexe and peered in the door, hoping and hoping!!!!!
    I had to keep an eye on them, as they are very destructive, and can rip awnings to pieces.

Remember, when feeding them, put the seed in the palm of your hand, and hold it flat so you don't get nipped with their beak, this will hurt if they do that!

Have fun, I did!

Lakeside Caravan Park.

• Birdwatching
    • Photography

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

History of the Grampians

by ATXtraveler Updated Sep 17, 2005

Rock Formations in The Grampians

Favorite thing: The Grampians National Park was officially created in 1984, which currently spans over 167,000 acres. 1/3 of all plant species found in Victoria currently grow natively within the park, and it is a haven for most of Australia's mammals and Marsupials. Flocks of birds can be seen on top of the trees, which you clearly see from the lookouts.

Above all of the flora and fauna are the outstanding rock formations found at all different elevations throughout the park. From Elephant's Hide to the Boroka Lookout, MacKenzie Falls, and the rest, these are some beautiful formations.

The Grampians are located about 270km west of Melbourne, so get an early start!

Instant Answers: The Grampians

Comments

The Grampians Favorites

Reviews and photos of The Grampians favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for The Grampians sightseeing.

View all The Grampians hotels