Yackandandah Things to Do
The Athenaeum (library) and Bank of Victoria are fine examples of the town's excellent streetscape. The whole CBD, such as it is, of Yackandandah has been classified by the National Trust. Many buildings retain their original shopfronts and verandahs and efforts have been made to retain them to their original colours.
Walking in a westerly direction along High St to Wellsford St you will come to the P.O. on the north-eastern corner. The original post office (Yackandandah's first public building) was a timber structure. Half of the present building dates from 1863. Additions were made in 1887. Adjacent is the former State Bank, a classically styled building dating from 1929.
Cross over Wellsford St to the primary school which was erected in 1862 and added to in 1872 and 1891. Note the decorative brickwork. Prior to 1862 this land was occupied by an Anglican church and the town's first (Anglican) school. Over the road is a 19th-century public hall and an office of the Indigo Shire Council.
Turn the corner, heading south along Wellsford St a short distance. To the right is the former Methodist (now Lutheran) church (1870).
Go back to Wellsford St and turn right, heading east along High St. On your right are the Memorial Gardens which have a timber pavilion, trim lawns and tall palm trees. Next door is the Star Hotel (1863 pic 5) and adjacent that is Memory Lane (pic 2), a bric-a-brac shop located in the former Dean's Store, built 1864-65 of local brick. Note the intact shop front, lamb's tongue window mouldings and arched windows.Related to:
- Historical Travel
- Beer Tasting
This is the area where the first gold was discovered though today the most significant thing that is visible is the stone bridge (pic 2) that was once part of the main Sydney-Melbourne road when it was constructed in !859-1860.
The first gold was allegedly was uncovered in 1845 when a water mill was being built on the Yackandandah run though, if that is true, nothing came of it. However, gold was discovered at the confluence of Yackandandah Creek and Commissioners Creek in December 1852 and a rush got under way along the creekside in 1853 with the population increasing from 150 in 1853 to 3000 by 1862. Miners from North America formed a significant proportion of the early settlers.
A police camp was set up in 1853 overlooking Commissioners Creek. A lock-up, police residence, police station and courthouse were added in the ensuing decade.Related to:
- Family Travel
- Historical Travel
There's a walk out the back of the CBD. It's not a long walk and, when we went on it there was much evidence still of devastation caused by a storm that had passed through less than 12 months previous.
Areas of bush had been flattened (pic 2) while other sections were mainly spared, such is the erratic nature of the weather.
It's a pleasant enough stroll and you can do it in less than an hour and, when revegetation is complete, it will be even more colourful than when we were there.Related to:
- National/State Park
- Hiking and Walking