Balingup Travel Guide

Balingup Small Farm Field Day
    by robertgaz
    No... she's not gonna ride the bull!
    Looking full here...

Balingup Things to Do

by robertgaz Updated Apr 29, 2008

The Balingup Small Farm Field Day is staged during April each year and provides an opportunity for small farm cottage industries to exhibit and sell their produce.

Stalls include craft, woodwork, pottery, wines, olive oil and cheeses to list a few. There are some 300 stalls some of which dsiplay small machinery and farm equipment.

Fleece Street Coffee break Climbing challenge No... she's not gonna ride the bull! Fruit wine tasting

by robertgaz Updated Aug 16, 2007

The Balingup Carnivale coincides with the colourful tulip festival. These floral beauties enjoy the rich loamy soil around Balingup and put on a colourful display.

It is also the beginning of the local wildflower season so please stop and enjoy the colours of spring around the green hills of Balingup.

Lovely tulip Tip toe, through the tulips A field of tulips Wattle blossom Wattle blossom

by robertgaz Updated Aug 16, 2007

Grey Company warriors use real steel weaponry and armour which gives spectators a taste of what medieval combat must have been like.

Simulated combat involves using blunted weapons wielded in a "soft contact" manner. The warriors are all amateurs who can't turn up for work on Monday with digits damaged in colourful combat.

Fight me you coward! Do ye yield! Moorish warriors repelling Viking raiders All in brawl Pow... whack... ouch!

Balingup Local Customs

by robertgaz Updated Apr 29, 2008

Some weeks before the Balingup Small Farm Field Day, I visited the Capel Fest where the Conservation and Land Management stall displayed a below ground worm farm which I thought would be a useful item in my garden for building soil fertility.

Unfortunately, the stall organisers had little information on where I could obtain one of these worm farms.

But whilst wandering around the Small Farm Field Day I spotted a scruffy exhibitor who produced and sold these below ground worm farms so I quickly ducked in for a "chat".

I parted with $40 and walked out with the item I had been searching for earlier. The stall owner had already sold out all his packaged worms but he gave me an handy tip...

I will tell you but you can't go telling anyone else ;~)

He asked if I was traveling home via Boyanup. I said that I was. He further asked if I knew where the Boyanup footy oval is. I said that I do.

He then suggested that if I were to find and lift the grate over the drain near the goal posts nearest the road I would find all the red wriggler worms I could sensibly scoop from the soil. So I visited the aforementioned Boyanup Oval.

Proud owner of new below ground worm farm

Balingup Tourist Traps

by robertgaz Written Apr 29, 2008

I knew that the Balingup Small Farm Field Day is a popular event but I wasn't prepared for traffic banked up for 2km's outside of the small rural community of Balingup.

Full credit to the organisers for setting a large paddock aside and guiding the abundant arrivals to a suitable parking place.

I had made an earlier decision to park my car along the South Western Highway before reaching Balingup. I made better time walking to the Town Sports Oval, where the event is staged, than the vehicles banked up along the highway.

Arriving in town The South West Highway parking lot Now to find a small space... Looking full here...

Balingup Favorites

by robertgaz Written Jul 19, 2006

Favorite thing: Please click on the link for a map to help find your way around Balingup

Map of Balingup
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Balingup

Comments

Balingup Travel Guide
Map of Balingup