The Store building
Over the years alterations have been made to building which was constructed in 1896. The two stores as they were originally were then turned into one. The style is Federation Free – Commercial and it is a typical style of a retail showroom in a regional centre.
The Cemetery is just out of town and down by the Golf Club. This is the local cemetery where the Aboriginal tracker Billy Noongale is buried. He accompanied the explorer John Forrest on his trek from Perth to Adelaide in 1870. Billy was born in this are in about 1852, his aboriginal name was Nungil. Their friendship was so strong that when Billy died in 1904, Forrest paid for his headstone.
The Beverley Post Office
The Post Office was built in 1910 and today it still operates as he Post Office for Beverley. On the ground floor there are the offices and on the first floor there is accommodation. The Post Office was built at a cost of 1,870.00 pounds. The style is typical for post offices built around this time.
Beverley's first Post Office was in the old Police Station building and was later in the Railway Station yards adjoining the present Co-Op buildings site.
By 1872 the town consisted of five buildings – 3 of which are still standing. The hotel which was one of the early buildings was known as the ‘Settlers Arms’ (now called the ‘Dead Finish’) and another was the Police Station. The other first businesses included a bootmakers shop, and a butchery owned by Mr. Horace Smith. One of the first homes still sits on Hunt Street.
Vampire Aircraft A79-651
This is the second Vampire aircraft in Beverley – the other one is outside the Aeronautics Museum on Vincent Street. You will see this one as you drive south into Beverley from York. It was placed there in 1989 after spending many years stored in a shed.
The first flour mill to serve the Beverley district was built at Yandegin in 1875 where the grain was ground between stones driven by steam. In 1896 a roller flour mill was established on the banks of the Avon River but was destroyed by fire on Christmas Day In 1906.
The Roads Board Offices
In Beverley’s early days the Road District was one of nineteen local authorities establish in 1871 under the Municipalities and Roads District Act. The District took in an excess of 150,000 sqkms and was made up of present Shires of Beverley, Brookton, Quairading, Bruce Rock, Corrigin, Pingelly, Narembeen, Kondinin, Dundas and a portion of Cuballing, Wickepin Wandering and Kulin. The Road Board Offices was built in 1908 and was used by the board until the authority changed and developed into the current structure.
The Swan and Avon Rivers share a catchment area of more than 120,000 sqkms which form a link between the agricultural areas and the Perth residential area. The Avon Ascent was created to bring more understanding about the importance of the rivers and the land. The Avon Ascent is a self drive tour which runs through Perth’s hinterland to a number of special locations in the Avon Valley. The Avon Ascent takes in Gwambygine Park, Avondale Discovery Farm and Galladong Farm.
The Cow Bail
The cow bail is made from black gins (grass tree) and bush timer. It has been used in constant use for over 70 years and was typical of the type of structure used by farmers during the early times. This particular bail was recovered from a small farm in the south-west and rebuilt at the Kalamunda museum. It was moved to this location in 1997 and rebuilt exactly as it was found on the small farm.
There is an original turn-of-the-century style pioneer homestead just near the main buildings which is furnished in period style. Surrounding the homestead is an extensive traditional colonial garden.
You can take a self-drive around the farm via the Avon Ascent land care trail which is a 50 hectare reserve which is a reserve for many animals (emu’s and kangaroos) and also over 130 species of plants. There is also a walking trail through the reserve. The land care had various signs around the drive which explain how the land is cared for and kept productive.
Agricultural Machinery Museum
The Farm is reported to have one of the largest agricultural machinery museums in Western Australia. There are over 200 items of machinery spanning 120 years of farming history which have been restored. Many of the tractors are in working order.
Avondale Discovery Farm
Avondale Discovery Farm is about 6 kms west of town and entrance to the farm is free. The farm which opened in 1979 by Prince Charles, is a unique living museum and also a modern working farm. It was opened for W.A’s 150th celebrations. There are lots of interesting things you can do at Avondale. The farm has also been used as a research station since 1924. It is committed to developing sustainable farming methods. There is also a children’s adventure playground, an animal nursery and picnic area with bbq’s.
Open from 10.00am - 4.00pm daily.
Pentecostal Assembly of God
Just up from the main road through Beverley town is the Pentecostal Assembly of God which was built in 1907 on the site of a previous church built in 1893. The style is Federation Gothic and services are held on Sunday at 9.30am and 6.00p.m
The Beverley Railway Station
The old railway station was built in 1886 at a cost of 1,418 pounds. The two storey building had a kitchen, three bedrooms, a lounge room and a pantry As was usual in small towns, one person usually had many tasks and the first Station Master (Drake Brockman) also conducted Anglican Church Services in the goods shed. The style was Victorian Tudor and underwent restoration in 1985. The railway line which ran between Beverley and Albany was completed in 1889 by the Great Southern Railway company. The Government then bought it for 1,100,000 pounds.
The town is currently raising funds to refurbish the station yet again although the final decision on what it will be used for has yet to be decided.