The Amana Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to the Australian National Airways Skymaster DC-4 called Amana which crashed between 10.00am and noon on the 26th June, 1950 while flying between Perth and Melbourne. All 29 passengers and crew on the plane were killed and their names are listed on the plaque. Flowers of remembrance are laid each year on the anniversary of the crash. The Memorial sits outside the Aeronautical museum.
The Geodesic Dome
Amongst the art deco style of the town, this dome really stands out. It was designed by an American architect, Buckminster Filler and was erected after a disastrous fire in 1968. At the time it was believed that the design was going to become popular. Obviously it didn’t, petrol pumps now sit outside.
Outside the entrance to the Museum is a Vampire Jet aircraft (no A79-638) which was a 2-seater trainer. The Shire of Beverley bought this plane for the price of 50 pounds ($100). It was mounted on the metal stands by the crew from Pearce Air Force Base.
The Aeronautical Museum
The museum is well advertised around the town and sits right in the middle of Vincent Street. The museum traces the history of aviation in WA and features the first privately built biplane in the State which was flown in 1930. Some of the more memorable moments in WA history are shown in photographs which are displayed around the walls with more information provided in printed form.
The "Silver Centenary" a hand built Bi-plane is the main exhibit in the museum and made it's maiden flight on the 1st of July 1930. The construction of the bi-plane took Selby Ford and Tom Shackles (his cousin) more than two years to make.
Beverley’s Main Street
Vincent Street is the main thoroughfare of Beverley. The street features many fine examples of architecture which has been beautifully preserved. Some styles you will see are Edwardian, Federation and Art Deco. The town is small and in less than half a minute you can be through it. Sundays are quiet and most, if not all the stores are closed.
The Hardware Store
The Hardware Store was one of the very first buildings after Beverley township relocated its centre to Vincent Street. The store was built in 1886 by a Mr H.H. Sewell.
The Central Buildings
The Central Buildings on Vincent Street were built over two years, from 1913 to 1914. A range of business have been housed in these buildings from a hairdressers to the Australasian Bank.
The stables were erected in the 1890’s and today houses the wonderful Clydesdale horses. The stables are complete with horse works and forge.
Kath & Barry Fergusons Vintage Machinery
The couple have a collection of vintage machinery on display. Also at what is known to the locals as “Barry’s Toys” at Ferguson’s garage are a number plates.
The Health Centre
Another example of fine Art Deco, this building was built in the 1930's. Today it is still being used for health care – for children.
100 Vincent Street
Known simply as 100 Vincent Street, these two early buildings have been used over the years for a variety of different businesses. One of them for a time was a new car showroom.