Coolgardie Things to Do

  • enlarge to read
    enlarge to read
    by scrooge1947
  • old hotel
    old hotel
    by scrooge1947
  • Things to Do
    by keeweechic

Most Recent Things to Do in Coolgardie

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Marvel Bar Hotel

    by keeweechic Written Aug 29, 2007

    This ornate old building was once the Marvel Bar Hotel. This hotel was popular for many reasons. It supplied good cheap meals and the owners were also sympathetic to those miners down on their luck and provided a free meal to help them out. It seems no one was turned away. The Marbel Bar remained a hotel until 1927. This piece of marble is all that is left of the marble bar. Today it belongs to the RSL.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Old Gaol

    by keeweechic Written Aug 29, 2007

    Within the old Gaol you will find the Pharmacy Museum which houses quite a selection of medicines and memorabilia from the 18th and 19th Century. It is apparently the one of the best historical displays of phamaceutical ware in Australia. Open 7.30am to 4.00pm with a small admission fee.

    There is a tree on Hunt St known as the Gaol Tree. It now has replica chains attached to it. Prior to the Gaol being built, prisoners were chained to the tree to await their fate at trial.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Poisons in Pretty Bottles

    by keeweechic Written Aug 29, 2007
    1 more image

    Poisons were usually stored in bright coloured bottles which were also more expensive, to prove as a warning. I was really surprised to see a tiny wee perfume bottle that I still have that was given to me as a little girl by an older relative. Mine still contains perfume which I believe was called Evening in Paris.

    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    The Colours of Glass

    by keeweechic Written Aug 29, 2007
    1 more image

    The glass was made from sand, soda and lime and the colours came from the iron oxides in the sand which gave the aqua coloured or green look. The clear coloured bottles were not common until about 1880 when the aqua could be iliminated by adding manganese or selenium. The amethyst shades come from the clear bottles with high manganese content after they have been exposed to the sun light. The amber shade comes from glass with high selenium.

    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Waghorn Bottle Collection

    by keeweechic Written Aug 29, 2007
    1 more image

    Within the old courtroom is an impressive bottle display which have been collected from all around Australia. There are bottles of every shape and size and colour. This collection was donated by May and Frank Waghorn. They unwittingly began collecting in 1954 and continued from there. Some of the bottles date back from 300BC.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Goldrush Disputes

    by keeweechic Written Aug 29, 2007
    1 more image

    The actual courtroom was always in use between 1878 and 1971 mostly to sort out and settle mining disputes and issues. The old gavel still sits on the judges bench.

    Yes there is the ghost rumour as well. There have been experiences and stories reported. This old goldrush town is reported to be one of the best known ghost towns not only in Australia but maybe in the world.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Mining Warden's Court Building

    by keeweechic Written Aug 29, 2007

    The 3 storey court building was built in 1898 and was the largest building, outside of Perth, in Western Australia. It was constructed of pink stone. Today the court building is mostly a museum and within the rooms are various displays which portray the life and experiences during the goldrush era of the 1890’s.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Burials in Coolgardie

    by keeweechic Written Aug 28, 2007

    There were some 1108 burials in Coolgardie between 1894 and 1899. Out of the first 32 that were buried, only 15 names were known. A lot died nameless with no one to mourn them and no one took the time away from finding gold to be bothered to find out who they were. There were as many as 7 burials a day and most of the unknowns wer eburied in the first cemetary on the north-west outskirts of the town. Any headstone was just with the words ‘Pioneers, 1892 – 1984 , ‘The Men Who Blazed The Track’.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Museum Visits
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    The Transport Room

    by keeweechic Written Aug 28, 2007
    2 more images

    This room shows a brief overview of the changes in transport during the goldrush boom. There is a mock-up of a Smithy where you can see some of the tools which the local blacksmith used. The iron was made red hot and fashioned to the desired requirement on the blacksmiths anvil to shoe horses and donkeys.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Hardship

    by keeweechic Written Aug 28, 2007
    2 more images

    Initially there was no electricity. Water was in dire need and became more precious than the gold that was being found. The nearest shop could be a weeks walk away. The early pioneer became ingenious at making to with whatever was at hand in the bush.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Life on the Fields

    by keeweechic Written Aug 28, 2007
    2 more images

    Life on the fields was hard and desperate at times. Those who were lucky to find gold prospered with good times. Those that didn’t only found hardship with was coupled with sickness and eventual death.

    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    The 2nd Floor

    by keeweechic Written Aug 28, 2007
    2 more images

    On the 2nd floor of the museum there are 8 rooms all with their own displays and themes. Walls are lined with photos of noteworthy residents and important events. The Museum is quite a find and well worth a visit while in Coolgardie.

    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Divers To The Rescue

    by keeweechic Written Aug 28, 2007
    2 more images

    To get Varishetti out, they had to go down a maze of tunnels and slowly pump out the water while divers took down supplies to keep him fed and alive. A darkened room tells of a day by day account of the efforts and the mood of the town at the time. For its time it was quite a remarkable rescue and even spread to capture world attention.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    The Famous Rescue

    by keeweechic Written Aug 28, 2007
    1 more image

    On the lower floor is the story of 'Charlie' Varishetti and his rescue. This display is particularly well done and really gets you in the mood of the time when all the drama was going on. Modesto Varischetti was a miner who was trapped underground in an air pocket after a sudden rain storm for 9 days and was totally surrounded by water and darkness.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Museum Visits
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    First Gold Discovered

    by keeweechic Written Aug 28, 2007
    2 more images

    Gold was first discovered near to Coolgardie at Fly Flat in 1892. William Ford and Arthur Bayley were the prospectors who made the claim of 5554 oz’s which was quite a hefty amount of money at the time. This eventuated in 20 acres of land being offered to to Bayley which ended up being very profitable. Fly Flat is now known as Bayleys Reward site.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Museum Visits
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Coolgardie

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

107 travelers online now

Comments

Coolgardie Travel Guide

Coolgardie Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Coolgardie things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Coolgardie sightseeing.

View all Coolgardie hotels