Fremantle Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Fremantle

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Fidel's: More cafe than restaurant

by leffe3 Written Sep 11, 2012

Fremantle is famed for the Cappuccino strip of South Terrace and Market Street. But on a cold day with few people around, it looked less than impressive - somewhat tired and past the sell-by date.

But just round the corner is the delightful Fidel's Cafe. A low-ceilinged 19th century cottage, walk into what was once two rooms and a corridor with its stripped floorboards, tiny kitchen, overstuffed furniture and incredibly warm ambience.

I only had coffee as it was around 10.30am and had already had breakfast, but reports are good for the food at the cafe (interspersed with some very bad ones). But it features highly on Urbanspoon.

Open for breakfast and lunch only

Favorite Dish: Not applicable

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Joe's Fish Shack: Great View, Good Food and Large Portions

by cjg1 Updated Mar 15, 2012

My wife enjoying the view

Our first day in Perth we hopped on a train to Fremantle to explore and have some lunch. My wife and done some research prior to our trip and wanted to have lunch at Joe’s Fish Shack.

Joe’s is located right on the water of the Fishing Boat Harbour with good views. When we entered the restaurant it wasn’t too crowded; just a couple of tables of patrons (after all it was a week day). The host asked us if we had a preference of inside or on the covered patio. We chose to sit on the patio and were shown a nice table with a water view. We were handed menus and began to peruse all the tasty offerings. The menu had a nice selection of seafood dishes, chicken, beef as well as a nice variety of local fish specialties.

It didn’t take long for us to decide on our entrees. I chose the Joe’s Seafood Platter for One which was a combination of Salt & Pepper Squid, battered Fish and Chips, Coleslaw and stuffed Prawn. My wife chose the Salt & Pepper Squid with Chips. As a starter we ordered some of the Sourdough garlic Bread. It was ungodly hot out so I decided to forgo the beer and have an unsweetened iced tea while Liz had a Pepsi.

After we ordered; we settled into a state of relaxation. The water was a calming effect and there was so much activity in the harbour with the fishing boats pulling in and out. We hardly noticed our garlic bread arriving until the incredible smell hit our noses. Wow! This has to be the best garlic bread we have ever had. The garlic bread was thick slices of sourdough toast with both sides of the bread buttered and full of garlic. I drool now just remembering it….

Our platters of food arrived shortly after our appetizer was cleared. The portions here are definitely big and I’m glad we came hungry. My platter was very good. The Fish & Chips were well done with crispy coating and moist fish inside. The Salt & Pepper Squid was excellent and my wife loved hers as well. The stuffed Prawn was ok; nothing to rave about. We managed to eat until we were full but we did leave a considerable amount of food on our plates.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this place. I thought it might be too touristy a joint but it was very nice. Service was good, food was tasty, portions were big and I loved the view. It made for a nice afternoon in Fremantle.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Siam Kitchen, Henderson Street Food Court: My favourite place to eat in Freo!

by CatherineReichardt Updated Nov 16, 2011

Siam Kitchen

Eating out in Oz can be relatively expensive, so if you're on a budget - or trying to accommodate a broad range of tastes - one of the cheapest and most practical ways to eat is at one of the many food courts.

Food courts are dead easy to use. Having perused the options on offer and made your selection, simply place your order and pay for your food. You will then be given a number to display on your table, and your food will be brought to you once it's ready.

Drinks are served from a separate stall - most food halls are licenced, so can serve wine and beer as well as fruit juices and non-alcoholic drinks.

Seating is often at a premium - particularly at lunch time and early evening, so the best plan is usually to despatch a member of the party to locate and lay stake to seats whilst others are placing the orders.

Favorite Dish: This food hall in Freo is my favourite and is located diagonally opposite the Fremantle Markets. I confess - I am utterly addicted to the larb gai from the Siam Kitchen! If you have yet to experience this delight, larb gai is a dish of chicken mince stir fried with garlic, lemon grass, mixed through with fish sauce, lime juice, chopped mint and coriander after cooking and served with plain boiled rice ... YUM!

Moore and Moore: Breakfast and a View

Outdoor Entrance

This coffeehouse is the back of a double-storey art gallery that itself is well worth a look. The coffeehouse however serves up some of the best baked breakfasts in Freo and is famous amongst hungover party-goers everywhere.

Favorite Dish: There's a different menu every week, so telling you won't help much. The chefs basically take turns to create whatever they feel like that week - but I promise each and every item they turn out is as much a piece of art as the paintings hanging in the art gallery out back.

Monk: Saintly Brews

Baked Potato and Bacon Burger

All my Perth and Fremantle Tips seem to do with Pubs and Breweries - I wonder if that's a coincidence? *winks*

Monk has a fantastic paella selection on Mondays and it does very eccentric and particular beers at all times - I got a dark beer called the "Last Judgement" which was very bitter and very strong. I enjoyed it heartily along with my huge platter of food.

Favorite Dish: Vegetarian Platter:

2 slices of Zuchini Frittata, Tempura, three rolls of bread along with a great Olive Oil dip and crumblings. It's a very fancy and filling platter.

JusBurgers: Burgers for a Complex Palate

JusBurgers Value Deal

There are four of these awesome things: one here in Fremantle, one in Subiaco, one is Leederville and one in Perth CBD.

Each one serves up fantastic burgers featuring unique and complex sauces - every single one of wihch is delicious. They come with a serve of pickles and thick-cut chips and potentially a drink.

The walls are usually covered with fancy street-art and the staff are bohemians in appearance, fitting with the artistic flavour of the burgers they create. All foodstuffs are locally produced and sourced.

Favorite Dish: Vegetarian Tempeh Burger with paprika aoili sauce.

Ohhh... doesn't it just sound delicious? The tempeh is warm and soft to the touch and it tastes like chickpea until you bite down far enough into the burger and BAM! Paprika explodes in your mouth like the taste of heaven.

It's so good I got it twice. In a row.

Little Creatures Brewery: A Converted Factory Warehouse Brewery

Front Yard Seats

What can I even say?

It's a clossal venue - front yard table service, backyard on the water table service, and a huge two-storey warehouse inbetween where you can sit, order a pint and a snack or even full meal, and appreciate everything going on around you. The staff are dedicated and usually dress up for work.

I am flat-out in love with this place and went several times during my stay. They are always busy, which just means that everyone agrees on how good this place is. You can even get away with wearing beachclothes and flipflops too.

Favorite Dish: Veggie Nachos - the plate is hot but the food is brilliant. Any single one of the on-the-spot woodfired pizzas is awesome as well.

Norfolk Hotel: James Squire on Tap

Norfolk Hotel Entrance

Now this is a nice quiet place to have a brew and spin some yarns - the space is warm and inviting, with both mood-lit outdoors and bright-lit indoor areas, and the drinks come in only one size: pint.
    Unlike most of the places in Fremantle, they happily accept EFTPOS.

Drinks on tap are a wide range of beers including the entire James Squire's range from Golden Ale to Amber. Food

Favorite Dish: Salt and Pepper Squid with Coriander.

I don't eat fish, but my friend got this dish and it looked delish. Well presented and very, very fresh.

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo

Colonial Antiques & Tea House: Interesting things to look at as well as good food

by Purpleshade Updated Apr 4, 2011

This "Tea Shop" (it's much more than that), serves hearty breakfasts, morning and afternoon teas, Devonshire teas, A La Carte lunches, take-aways and can provide special menus for groups .
    Much of the china used is old and beautiful, and the seating is arranged in the same shop area as the antiques.
    You can browse the antiques (lots of old china, glass, jewellery and bric-a-brac , as well as some items of furniture)while you wait for your food, and then choose whether to sit inside or out on the pavement.

Favorite Dish: The cakes all looked amazing, I had trouble choosing!
    I ended up with a slice of creme brulee tart, and a cappuchino, it was absolutley delicious!

• Water Sports
    • Museum Visits

• robertgaz's Profile Photo

Little Creatures: Gourmet pizzas

by robertgaz Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Little Creatures Brewery is a locally owned an operated micro brewery. It is well situated with a rustic ambience and decor inside a big boat shed on the Fishing Boat Harbour in Fremantle.

The brewery is completely open for inspection and the delicious beers are poured straight from the tanks!

The restaurant is open all day and bookings are not required so you can just wander in whenever you like.

The bar and restaurant is open 7 days a week from 10am to midnight Mon-Fri.
    Saturdays and Sundays from 9am to midnight.

Sorry folks... there aren't any pictures here because yours truly forgot to take his camera!

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish was the chilli mussels still in the shell still swimming in a spicy and rich chilli sauce. My only regret was that there wasn't enough bread to sop up the spicy juices!

The marinated octopus was also quite nice but I found it to be a tad sweet for my taste.

You're spoilt for choice when it comes to their own wood fired pizza's and I can thoroughly recommend the harissa spiced lamb with melenzana and feta. Also highly recommended is the prawn with coriander pesto and shiitake mushrooms.

Here's a sample menu

And it goes without saying that the simply delicious food is washed down with a "hoppy" Pale Ale or a refreshingly crisp Pilsner poured straight from the tanks behind the bar.

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Little Creatures: Excellant Food and Atmosphere!!

by aussirose Updated Apr 4, 2011

Fremantle Little Creatures

Want to experience fantastic food, great atmosphere and our Little Creatures famous beer?.... Then look no further than Little Creatures down near the warf at Freo.
    The setting is a local brewery (fantastic beer) and the accompanying food is yummy!
    Little Creatures is very popular so they don't take bookings but the way you get a table is very unique. Just stroll up to the counter, order a table and you get a glitter top hat which someone has to wear. When a table is ready they come out and look for your top hat. Cute hey :o) The ordering of food is different too. ....Mainly finger food, you order a few plates and all tuck in .... buffet style. And if you are still hungry, then just order a few more. :o) We have had a few lovely vt meetings here and if you would like us local vt'ers to join you, then just flick me an email and I'll arrange it.

Here's a link straight to our latest vt meeting at Little Creatures.
    vt Meeting with DSwede

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo

Little Creatures Brewery: Food, drink, music and a fun atmosphere

by Tina-Perth Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Brewery

This brewery/restaurant has a buzz about it. It is lively, yet relaxed. Funky music plays, but not so loud that it interferes. We visited Little Creatures for lunch and sat on the balcony overlooking the water which added to the atmosphere. People all around us, yet it was not too noisy. It has alfresco dining, so you get that fresh, outdoors feel. Otherwise you can sit inside or under the olive trees at the front of the restaurant.

There is also an art gallery upstairs. This is a typical example of Perth people being casual and doing some of the things they like best. This is the Perth way of life.

The staff are particularly friendly and efficient. We were very impressed by the way they did their jobs.

Favorite Dish: Although we are not beer drinkers, Steve had a few pints of the "Pale Ale" for $7.00 each. He really enjoyed it. There is a wine list available too. I drank the NZ Spy Valley Sauvignon Blanc for $6.50 per glass. Bottles are available for $30. It was a very nice wine.

We tried the grilled cajun squid with lime coriander mayo for $16.00. I was not overly impressed with it, however and would give it about 7/10. We then had an atlantic salmon, creme fraiche and capers woodfired pizza for $18, which was ~nice, I'd rate it at about 7.5-8/10. We had the harissa spiced lamb with melanzane and fetta pizza which was delicious and rated at 9/10.

The menu is extensive with some interesting combinations such as: haloumi, chickpea and watermelon salad for $13.00, blue cheese, pear and rocket pizza $15.00, marinated kangaroo with bush tomato chutney $16.00.

As with all restaurants in Perth, GST is included and no extras are payable unless you would like to tip your waiter (but not necessary).

• Xemx's Profile Photo

Cicerellos: More Than Just a Fish N Chips Shop!

by Xemx Updated Apr 4, 2011

Cicerello's

Apart from the wide choice of seafood meals (and great fish n chips :-) the restaurant has a world class display of aquariums with over 50 species of marine life all caught in Fremantle waters.

The restaurant is large and comfortable and has indoor and outdoor tables. It also has an Upper Deck with tables where you can get a nice view of the Fishing Harbour and the ocean. I visited both Cicerello's of Mandurah and Fremantle and enjoyed both.

Favorite Dish: Fish n Chips...what else :-) I also tried the Dim Sims, potato cakes and chiko roll which were all great. The food is nice and fresh and perfectly cooked. They also have fresh fruit juices and a large selection of desserts. Their Cappuchino is wonderfully made...I've never seen anyone giving so much attention to a cup of coffee!

• Steve-H's Profile Photo

Little Creatures.: Eat, drink and fall over.

by Steve-H Updated Apr 4, 2011

little creatures

A converted warehouse on the sea front in Freemantle, home to the strangely named Little Creatures Brewery. I was struck by the space and the open plan dining and drinking area, you sit at long tables and staring at the high ceilings for a while. Service is fast and friendly, there is a good wine list and a fantastic menu featuring the snack greats like nachos and pizzas cooked in a brick oven in front of you, there are also some classic dishes and great seafood as you would expect in this part of the world, we snacked out on nachos, olives and feta and chorizo and a selection of Little Creatures beers.
    I returned in 2010 to find that the place has expanded, the main building is half as large again having moved into the unit next door & there is a much larger decked area out back over the water, this is served by it's own bar.

• Wine Tasting

• stevemt's Profile Photo

Cicerello's: Wonderful wonderful Seafood

by stevemt Updated Mar 8, 2011

This place is fantastic. right on fishermansd wharf, great service and wonderful food

There are also a vast collection of wonderful aquariums for free viewing.

Favorite Dish: Chilli Muscles

Beware it is a huge serving with crusty bread to mop up the sauce

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Instant Answers: Fremantle

Comments

Fremantle Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fremantle restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fremantle sightseeing.