Right on the Batavia Marine, this museum is the largest regional museum in Western Australia. It was built at a cost of $5.25million. The museum has many permanent exhibits as well as temporary ones. There is a section just on the shipwrecks of the Batavia coast. Other sections include wildlife and flora, the local fishing history and early days in Geraldton.
Open from 10.00am to 4.00pm daily. Donation Admission.
The stone colonade was added in 1950 behind the church. It was built in memory of Elizabeth Estwick, a companion of Miss Cecily Biddle who was the chief instigator of raising funds for the construction of the church.
The gaol was built in 1858. Sixteen cells line a central corridor and there are several exercise yards. The gaol ended its service in 1986 and was the 2nd longest serving prison in Western Australia. When it closed, it was left to run down until a number of craftspeople took over and used the building to sell their crafts in the cells .
You will find Geraldton’s Visitor’s Centre within the Bill Sewell Complex. They can make all your tour and accommodation bookings and are also agents for Greyhound, Indian Pacific and Transwa. They have the usual souvenirs plus tea/coffee, email facilities and toilets.
Open Mon-Fri 9.00am to 5.00pm, Sat-Sun and public holidays 10.00am – 4.00pm
Hawes philosophy was that “A proper church is no mere assembly-hall, theatre or auditorium for preaching and community singing; but it is first a place of sacrifice.. it should breathe for an atmosphere of prayer, of religious awe and supernatural mystery”. This is what is communicated into his designs. The church has been listed with the National Heritage.
The Cathedral is airy and light and a nice welcome from the heat of summer. There are some beautiful stained glass windows in all shapes. There are conducted tours which operate daily at 10.00am on Monday and Friday at 2.00pm. Mass times are Saturday at 6.00pm and Sunday at 7.30am, 9.30am and 6.00pm.
The next stage of the church was not begun until after the Depression in 1937 and was completed in 1938. In between these two stages being built, Monsignor Hawes was busy else where in the region designing and constructing new churches.
Funding for the Church was limited because of the first World War but the first stage of the Cathedral was finished by 1918. The building was designed in a Spanish style from local stone. In the corner of the North West Tower is a stone which was brought from the first Catholic Church in Geraldton which was torn down in 1870.
This beautiful church is a creation of Monsignor John Hawes (an architect priest). It was built between 1916 and 1939. This one was the most remarkable of his creations and certainly the largest. Definitely the best out of all his creations in Australia.
Fishing Boat Harbour has the biggest live lobster factory in WA. The public can tour the factory during the lobster season (Nov – June). You can also take tours to the Abrolhos Islands from Fisherman’s Wharf (Abrolhos Island Charters).
There are around 159 mooring pens of the harbour and these are only used by commercial fishing boats.
The stone for the church was donated from a local quarry. The tower of the church has a bell which was made in England. It weights over 305kg. Inside the church there is a piece of stone on the wall of the porch which was quarried in France.
This is a 20ft sculpture of a sentinel which stands in front of the police station on Marine Tce. It was designed and constructed by Tony Jones, a WA artist in 1998. The head on the sculpture acts as a weather vane. The wing symbolises a 1622 map of the Abrolhos Islands.
The first courthouse was completed in 1867 but there were endless problems associated with the building like noise, stuffiness and drafts that in the by the 1890’s they decided to give up the building and build a new one at a different location, away from the noise of the ports.
The new Victorian colonial building was constructed in 1897 and housed the Police along with courts), Treasury, Lands and Mines as well as Shipping and Customs. In 1988 the building was empty of its former residents except for the Crown Law Department. The building was then remodelled for the sole purpose of being a courthouse for which it still is today.
The old hospital was built in the mid 1880’s. It was not only a hospital but a training school for nurses. This continued until `966 when the old building was used as a regional prison. In 1984 that was closed and after a major renovation the building was reopened again in 1988. The Tourist Bureau now occupies part of the building. The Café Kitchen today was the old operating room.
This historic complex comprises several old buildings including the old Gaol and the old Victoria District Hospital. Each building was constructed at different times with the first originating in the early 1850’s. Today there are various organisations and businesses taking up residence in the complex.