St George’s Church is at Bluff Point next to the Lighthouse Keepers Cottage. It is described as a ‘romantic village’ church. It was built in 1935 from donations both locally and from England.
Crowley House is part of the Bill Sewell Complex. It was originally built in 1897 as a ward block. A children’s ward was added in 1938 and then in 1988 as was a function kitten in 1988.
Beneath the clock tower is a time capsule which was put there in 1984 during the official opening of ‘Marine Terrace Central. The time capsule is due to be opened in November 2020.
Marine Tce is only a stones throw from the Geraldton’s foreshore. One of the main streets for dining and shopping. There are also hotels on this road.
The library is right across from St Francis Xavier Church. It forms part of the Geraldton Civic Centre. The library is open from 9.30am most mornings.
If you possible can, visit the memorial both during the daylight and at sunset and certainly, if you can get up early enough, I am told the dawn breaking is especially lovely.
There is a bronze polished propeller sitting in the middle of the granite floor which is the ceremonial area.
The metal umbrella of the memorial is made up of hundreds of stainless steel seagulls – 645 to be exact. Each of these birds is supposed to represent a life lost on the ship.
The memorial took the sculpters 3 years from start to finish. The metal dome or umbrella is supported by 7 pillars. These are supposed to represent the 7 territories and states of Australia.
The whitewashed cottage was built in 1876 and originally had a shingled roof. A porch was added to the cottage much later. Another building which was probably added in the 1920’s was a toilet.
The craft centre is run by the Geraldton Crafts Association. The old gaol is part of the Bill Sewell Complex. Admission is free. Open 10.00am to 4.00pm daily
Visitors cannot fail to notice this creative memorial for the HMAS Sydney lost off the coast during WW2. Each bird symbolises one of the 645 men that lost their lives.