Ned is carved from just a single piece of wood. During the 1800’s he was a pain in the butt to the law authorities in Victoria with his crude behaviour. They got so fed up with him that they eventually hanged him.
Ned Kelly is Australia’s notorious bushranger and outlaw and while he didn’t make it to Gnowangerup, there is a rumour that his daughter did. It is reported that she was the publican of the Gnowangerup Hotel which is why his 3 metre tall statue stands next to the hotel.
The Memorial Hall was built in 1923 from local stone and incorporated a room for the RSL and the honour boards. Movie nights were held twice a week before the local drive-in opened. The hall was a social venue for dances, plays and shows.
The building of the Black Duck Canvas makers was constructed in 1925 and was originally owned by Elders Ltd. The building has not changed much but has had many businesses operating in it over the years.
The Gnowangerup Star was established in 1915 and up until 2003 was one of the last family owned newspapers left in Australia. Old hot metal presses were still used and so much of the equipment and furnishings in office was original making it quite a working museum.
The Unity Bell which hangs at the entrance to the Shire Offices was donated by the Gnowangerup Star. It is dedicated to the memory of Isaac (Zic) Walker ‘for his life time (1914-1998) of loyal service in ink and words to the district.
The Gnowangerup Shire Offices were once the Bank of NSW and managers residence which was built in 1929. The building was sold to the Gnowangerup Roads Board in 1942. The foundations of the building are still the same but many additions have been made over the years. During the early 1900’s the building was the used by the Coffee Palace Restaurant.
The Gnowangerup Post Office was built between 1918 and 1919. Mostly the building is as it was but has had a few additions over the year – all in keeping with the original design
The building of the National Bank was constructed between 1912 and 1913 and is just one of the many historical buildings in the town.
The Timeline and Railway Place indicates where the old railway crossing was. There are pavers which are engraved and an old Railway Trolly.
The Methodist Church was originally built in Boulder in the Goldfields. It was dismantled and brought to Gnowangerup to be rebuilt in 1923.
One of a few of churches in the town, St Margarets was built in1930. It was built from local quarried stone.
Outside in the garden of the Shire offices is an old restored steam tractor which was imported in 1889. Much of the land around the town was cleared by this tractor.