St Peters bell was cast in Dublin in 1879 at Murphy’s Foundry. It didn’t always sit outside, it used to be in St Peters Chapel that first stood outside Clinch’s Mill and was damaged during a flooding. The bell was used to announce the Angelus which were the prayers which were said three times a day to commemorate the incarnation.more
The Catholic Presbytery was built out of limestone in 1900 and over 30 years had a number of priests living there. One of the best known was Monsignor Hawes who was a well known architect and was responsible for building a number of beautiful churches. He was actually the last priest to live in the Presbytery.more
In 1901 they moved to Dongara and the Presentation Sisters took over the building. They turned the school room into a dormitory and ran a boarding school for boys. There were extensions built on the west side which are no longer there. When the boarding school closed down, the old convent was then leased as a residence to the O’Brien family. They...more
Behind the courthouse are the old stone stables which open out in the courtyard. This is where the police horses were housed. Despite the high windows, there is a story that a town drunk got into the stables and proceeded to cut off the tails of the horses just to spite the Police Sergeant. Somehow he managed to escape.There was a Bobtail making...more
The only way to visit the settlement is via the General Store or what is now the Visitor Centre. There is an admission at the counter in the tearoom and you will be given a layout of the settlement with information on the buildings. You are then at liberty to wander at leisure through the settlement. They are open 9.00am to 5.00pm daily. (except...more
The Courthouse had its first Resident Magistrate in 1865. This was two years after Police were first stationed in the area. During this time unrest between the locals and the aboriginals was on the rise and was too much for the magistrate from Champion Bay who serviced the district. Before the court house was built, Donahue’s Barn was used.more
These term was given to a document for prisoners when granting their freedom to work. They had to live and work within a particular district until their sentence was fully served or they were granted a pardon. They could own property and hire themselves out. Part of the condition of TOL was that they must attend church and also appear before the...more
This is the second St Catherine’s Church, the first was built in 1893 of timber and was a feeding ground for white ants (termites). It was badly damaged and a new one had to be built in 1913. When the new church was built of stone this time, any fittings etc that were able to be saved were used in the new church. These fittings, including the...more
With the community growing, the town was in need of a venue for social activities. The land was donated by the Mill and hotel owner, Arthur Clinch, and building began in 1898. The small porch on the front was built in 1901 and served as the entry into the hall. All kinds of events were held in hall including dances, meetings, school activities,...more
The Greenough Road’s Board Office was built in 1906. Not a big building but still they managed to hold their meetings here until 1952. This was the equivalent to the local government office although it seems that most of the time only one person (a secretary) ever worked in the building.more
Greenough was established between the limestone cliffs to the east and the sandhills to the west. This ended up forming a flood plain from the Greenough River. This flooding has happened on several occasions since the 1850’s. One of the worst was in 1888 which cause hundreds of residents to flee their homes. Some died and many buildings were...more
This school was second school to be built in the area and was constructed in 1865. The first school proved too difficult during times when the river was full for the pupils to try and get to. As with other buildings, the school was multipurpose and was also used as a community hall.more
Greenough is around 24kms south of Geraldton or nearly 400kms from Perth on the Brand Hwy. Greyhound buses also run from Perth on a daily basis.
Greenough’s climate is close to a Mediterrranean climate. Average Temperature in Summer is around 31C and in winter 20C. Although of course these temps can far exceed the average at times.