Halls Creek Travel Guide

by australia2
  • Halls Creek
    by australia2
  • Sawtooth Gorge, one of the things you might see
    Sawtooth Gorge, one of the things you...
    by iandsmith

Halls Creek Things to Do

Gorgeous gorge 4 more images

by iandsmith Updated Aug 31, 2008

You may find literature that labels this place "Sawpit Gorge" but you can ignore that as apparently it was an error when the State Government, based a couple of thousand kilometres away, got it all wrong.
    Although it's listed as 52 kilometres away, that's wrong also as it's more like 45 from Halls Creek. I know this because I checked my speedo readings.
    What you get at Sawtooth is a dramatically scenic lump of red/orange rock jutting straight out of the ground and bisected neatly by a creek.
    It's a photogenic and pretty spot and I spent the night there though there are no facilities. Since I was in my fully self-contained motorhome that was no problem. It also allowed me to arise early and get the canyon in favourable light, although it again meant trampling through spinifex at times.
    The walking isn't always easy either as sometimes the rocky ground doesn't make for a stable surface.
    I also came across an unusual albino praying mantis amongst other wildlife. (pic 5) - see more details in last tip.

• Photography
    • Hiking and Walking

White (albino) praying mantis

by iandsmith Written Aug 31, 2008

Mantids are carnivorous insects. There are approximately 2,000 different types with the biggest over 15 cm long and the smallest about 1 cm long.
    Mantids are found in warm to hot places in most continents of the world. Their title rather obviously stems from the way they hold their forelegs.
    Body
    The front legs have rows of sharp angled spines which are used to grip prey. Mantids have a triangular shaped head with a large eye on each side that can see the slightest movement up to 35m away. It is the only insect that can turn its head 180º. It has excellent hearing. Mantids have straight leathery wings and powerful jaws.
    Defence
    Mantids depend on camouflage for their survival. There are many predators, including birds, that they must hide from.
    One fascinating fact is that most mantids have a hollow space inside their bodies, which helps them hear the high-pitched sounds that bats, one of their main predators, make.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Adventure Travel
    • National/State Park

Something worth considering

by iandsmith Updated Aug 22, 2008

I have to admit I wasn't going to bother doing a Halls Creek page, incorrectly assuming that others would have more than covered it. Imagine my surprise when I found but one page and it mentions nothing about what you can actually see within a 50km radius of the place. Hopefully I can rectify that.
    It's not a large place but with a supermarket and three petrol stations it gets a lot of tourists. Unfortunately they tend to be on their way to somewhere else which is sad for them but good for me as I pretty much had the attractions all to myself.
    The information centre is well stocked and the staff very helpful.
    There is a fair proportion of indigenous people here also and I found it sad that the young ones I came across couldn't be bothered going to school. That's just the way it is out here.
    There are some mining reminders of the original settlement but today it is definitely tourism that creates the most wealth in the town.

• Seniors

Halls Creek Hotels

Instant Answers: Halls Creek

Comments

Halls Creek Travel Guide
Map of Halls Creek