Out on Andrews road you are surprised by the sight of a Mosque. There is a large Muslim community living in Katanning, most of the early community originated from the Christmas and Cocos Islands. They built the mosque in 1980 and it was opened in 1981 by Tunku Abdul Rahman. Today there are around 350 in the Muslim community living in Katanning.
Some of the pieces of machinery on display are a Ribbon Mixer, Plansifters, Dust Collectors, bucket elevators and bucket elevators. The Flour Mill closed in 1977 and today the old mill is largely used as a tourist office and a museum which is open from Monday to Friday 10.00am – 4.00pm and Saturday 10.00am – Noon.
Much of the milling machinery is still intact and in original condition making it quite unique in Western Australia. It is thought to show promise as being a prime site for teaching of turn of the century milling practices in the state.
The old flour mill along with the railway, had a major role in the development of Katanning and the agricultural areas surrounding the town. Built in 1891 of English bond red brick, it originally took up 3 acres close to the rail site for the off loading of grain and incorporated the store, offices, the mill and blacksmith shop and a large warehouse. The 3 storey mill is the tallest building in the town standing at 12.6m high.
Kobeelya was once the Piesse family mansion. It was built by FH Piesse in 1902 during the town’s early years and therefore was quite a grand structure in the small farming town. It had 7 bedrooms, hot and cold running water, a ballroom and billiard room with a croquet field and tennis courts laid out on the grounds.
The Baptist Union of Western Australia brought the property and it was converted into a boarding school for girls. This closed in 1986 and Kobeelya is now a residential and guesthouse.
Out on Andrews Road by the Mosque are the ruins of an old winery. The property, complete with its vats, tanks and handmade brick building, are what is left of the original winery which was built by A.E. Piesse in 1904. The Piesse family owned vineyards from where the grapes came from some 10,000 vines. When the winery was closed, much of the wine making tools and casks were sold to the New Norcia Mission.
The Royal Exchange Hotel was built in 1891 and was originally known as The Railway. The hotel offers some accommodation. There is a dining room and beer garden.
Oscars Café is in the Royal Exchange Hotel.
There is a little park opposite the Shire Offices and Town Hall which was created by the Townscape Committee of Katanning. Many of the plants featured are from in the turn of the century. Within the park is a heritage rose garden, the Pioneer Women’s Clock, a migrant community sculpture, Noongar Time Walk, seats and tables, a pioneer memorial walk and Malay mosaic.
The ANZ building was original built in 1911 for the Union Bank of Australasia and is heritage listed. Prominent architects Hobbs, Smith and Forbes were responsible for many notable buildings in Western Australia including this bank. Despite several renovations, the building continued to serve the town as a bank.
The Historical Museum is housed in what was the town’s first government school. The school opened in 1896. On display is a display of artifacts and memorabilia which relate to the early years of the town.
The museum is open from 2.00pm to 4.00pm on Sundays.
Built in 1930 in an architectural style described as Inter-War Romanesque. The building was originally constructed as St Rita’s Boarding School, then becoming a convent for the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions. It was later converted to a youth hostel and today houses numerous community groups.
The Town Hall was placed on the State Register of historical places in 2000. It was built in 1896 after Piesse donated some 10,000 bricks to its construction. The buildings of the Town Hall include the Mechanics Institute, Shire Offices and the Agricultural Hall. The Town Hall was the civic and cultural centre of the small town.
The Post Office in Katanning is heritage listed. It was built in 1913 in a Federation style. Built on the site of the original post office which opened at the time of the Great Southern Railway Line coming through the town. A telephone exchange was added in 1907.
The library and Art Gallery was built in 1999. The Art Gallery displays art collections from local artists as well as students from the TAFE college. International artists also have a change to exhibit their works.
Frederick Henry Piesse was the founder of Katanning. For 23 years he was the representative of the Williams and Katanning Districts in WA’s Legislative Assembly. He was also Minister for Railways and the Director of Public Works. This statue was erected in recognition of his valuable services both to the district and to the State of Western Australia. The Piesse family established many of the first businesses in Katanning and were influential in Katanning's ongoing development.