The community Sculpture Park was opened in 1988 and was designed as a place to display art about the local history and natural environment. One display of bronze exhibits is known as ‘The Tourists” and created by Stuart Elliot. They were placed in the park in 1990. To date eight Western Australian artists have created sculptures within the park.
The Sculpture Park is located on the site of the old Mundaring Railway Station where the rail line ran from Fremantle to York. The station and the tracks have gone but there are still remnants of the history of the railway in Mundaring.
Mundaring Historical Society
The Mundaring Historical Society is in the Old School. They have changing displays which show the diverse history of the Mundaring area. The can also provide information on historical walks and have photographic exhibitions.
The Mundaring Arts Centre
The Mundaring Arts Centre is in the main shopping area of Mundaring. The gallery has displays of artwork for sale as well as demonstrations. Exhibits are changed regularly and feature works of regional and local artists. A great avenue for local artists to show their works.
The pump station is the first of 8 such stations which were needed in the task of transporting the water. There are old photos and documents which give a record of the time and original machinery is also of interest.
Check with the Mundaring Visitors Centre as to opening times.
Helena Reservoir - Mundaring Weir
The Helena Reserve extends 12km upstream from the wall of the dam. It then divides into two main sources – the Helena and Darkin Rivers. The reservoir has its maximum depth of 40 metres at the wall. The reservoir supplies drinking water so a high level of quality is maintained. No swimming is allowed in the reservoir.
Cockatoo Care was launched to help protect the survival of cockatoos in Western Australia. The project was set up by the water corporation and the Western Australian Museum. The research is providing a better understand of the breeding of cockatoos which have been declining since colonial times. The awareness board has been placed above the Mundaring Weir as cockatoos are largely found in water catchment areas.
Fred Jacoby Park
This park has one of the largest English Oak trees in Western Australia along with numous trees from many parts of the world. There are bbq and picnic facilities and walking trails which begin within the park. You can also camp overnight in the park and perhaps see a kangaroo or wallaby amongst other inhabitants.
The Bibbulmun Track
One of the many tracks in the area is the Bibbulmun Track. The walking trail travels roughly around 1000kms from Kalamunda in the Darling Ranges to Albany on the south coast of Western Australia. Bibbulmun comes from the Aboriginal word and was used to describe tribes who roamed around parts of the South West and often travelled great distances for their corroborees and tribal meetings. The track can be accessed leading to Mundaring Weir and west to Hewetts Hill campsite/shelter and on to Kalamunda and if you choose to the walk or any part of the walk you will find huts with tables, bunks, water tanks.
South Ledge is near the Mundaring Weir Dam on the road to Kalamunda. Ecologically the area has some significance as it represents the transition from cap rocks to granite outcrops with its species of plants and flora. It is a popular picnic site, with bbq’s, and during the spring is especially pretty with the wildflowers in bloom.
The totem poles next to the observation deck were created by the Kalamunda Senior High School Special Art students. There are 5 carved totem poles which depict local bird life and flora along with large mosaic structures which were designed to echo the rock formation of the area
Golden Pipeline Trail
The trail is part of the Golden Pipeline Project devised by C Y O’Connor who successfully managed to pump water from Perth to the goldfields of Kalgoorlie. It was further than any water had been pumped before at that time. The scheme was opened in 1903. The trail links sites between Mundaring Weir and Kalgoorlie. Two signposted walk trails will take visitors through the weir gardens, surrounding forest and across the dam wall with history telling the tale of gold, water, success and hardship of the time. The pipeline is still operating and provides water to an area of 440,000 sq kms, 100,000 people and about six million sheep.
Mundaring Weir Gallery
On the corner opposite the Mundaring Weir Hotel is an old historic hall which was originally called the Mechanics Institute. It was opened in 1908 and during the construction of the Mundaring Weir, it was used as a classroom. House in the old hall today is the Mundaring Weir Gallery which displays of crafts from local crafts folks. Plenty of gift suggestions ranging from wood turning, porcelain to pottery.
Open Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays 11.30 am to 5.00 pm.
Kattamorda Heritage Trail
A 27km walking trail which begins at Mundaring Weir Road. The trail includes the Dam and the CY O’Connor museum. It continues along the old horse tramway through forests, orchards and farmland along the top of the Darling Range to Carmel. It then descends via Bickley Valley to the reservoir. More for the experienced bushwalker. There are several vehicle pick-up points along the way. The Kattamorda Heritage Trail features sites of importance in the history of forestry, horticultural and tourist industries and the Goldfields water scheme.
First Known as Greenmount National Park
Originally the area was known as Greenmount National Park but later became known as Forrest National Park, then John Forrest National Park in 1947 after Lord Forrest who was one of Australia’s well-known statesmen and explorers.
- National/State Park