It has a 117 metre span,
It's 16 metres high,
It can hold 400 people evenly spaced out,
It can withstand 150 kph wind.
It does sway in a strong breeze.
It costs nothing to cross.
It get's full to capacity when the Avon Descent (the world famous whitewater kayaking event) starts in early August each year just 50 metres upstream. If you could get a spot on the bridge, this would be an excellent vantage point.
The website (lower map) number 41 in the middle of the river is the suspension bridge. The top map shows you how to get to Northam from Perth.
Northam is said to have the largest number of historic buildings in Western Australia (other than Fremantle). There is a 90 minute walk you can take following a map provided by the Tourist Centre. The starting point of the walk is at the Avon Valley Visitors Centre in Grey St.
The visitor centres is right on the banks of the Avon River and is open daily from 9.00am to 5.00.pm. There are public amenities including a shower and parents room. The centre has a large range of brochures and history items as well as the usual local gifts and souvenirs. In the same building is a cafe and conference facilities and a museum. All bookings for coachs, accommodation etc can be done here.
Bernard Park is adjacent to the Avon Valley Visitor Centre and on the shores of the Avon River. There is a childrens playground, bbq and picnic facilties as well as many large sculptures. The rotunda in the park was built in 1915.
The Avon Valley Art Society is located in what was once the old post office which was built in 1872. It was also home of the 10th Light Horse for 70 years. The society has three galleries which feature local and touring exhibitions and are open from 10.00am to 4.00pm 7 days a week. You will find a display of local arts and crafts for sale.
The Avon Drive was the original route between the towns of Beverley, York, Northam and Toodyay. This scenic drive goes along route 254 (just follow the brown and white 'Avon Drive' signs) and features a number of places of interests including some which are now private properties so respect is needed. A map can be obtained from the Visitor Centre.
The old mud brick cottage was built in 1836 and was the home of the former founder of Northam, John Morrel. The home has been restored and features the Morrell family heirlooms as well as other early Northem photos and memorabilia. It is the oldest building in the area.
John Morrell was 50 when he left his country (England) bound for Australia. He was the first pioneer settler in Northam and also owned the first farm. He built the first farmhouse and worked the first land, imported the first livestock into the are and was able to send the first farm produce to Perth. Open to the public on Sundays 10.30am - 4pm.
The Old Railway Station was built in 1884 to service the Goldfields and Eastern Districts. Today the station is now a museum housing artefacts and pieces of railway history, as well as radios and household appliances. There are old steam engine and carriages also on display. The building has been restored and is listed with the National. The museum is open Sunday from 10.00am to 4.00pm and entry is by way of a gold coin donation
Postal services to the eastern districts began from Perth in 1840. The first post office to be built in Northam was in 1972. The replacement was built in 1892. The old post office houses a large display of arts and crafts and touring exhibitions.
The old Union Bank Building was built in 1905/06 and is now the home of the ANZ bank. One of Northams unique historical buildings with features of gabled roof, decorative mouldings and arched head windows. An extension on the side was added to the original building. Some modern alterations have been made such as the dark glass windows at the end side wall.
The local newspaper during Northam's early days was the Northam Advertiser. Hal Colebatch bought the newspaper in 1904 and continued to run it until 1923 when he handed it over to his sons although he still continued to contribute to the publication. Colebatch was Mayor of Northam from 1909 to 1912. The building was constructed in 1893.
St John's Anglican Church is set back from the town's main street. The church was constructed using locally quarried stone between 1885 to 1890. The style is Gothic Revival but during the earthquake in 1968, large cracks appeared in the walls. The church has stained glass wndows with the east windows having insets of Ste George's Cathedral and Old St James (Northam's first church which was demolished). There is also a distinctive square bell tower with battlements.
The Avon River, a beautiful feature in the Avon Valley, runs it course through Northam. All through its route you will be able to see a variety of Australian birdlife including the white swans. There are plenty of picnic spots also. Australia's longest pedestrian suspension bridge, also spans the river in Northam.
Byfield House was built in 1902 for an important resident of Northam, James Byfield. The home displays the wealth which was acquired by Byfield as a direct result of the gold boom era.
The church hall belong to St Johns was built in 1897. Along with the church and church hall is the former rectory. All the buildings have asbestos shingle gabled roofs.