Joe's Fish Shack, Perth

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Joe's Fish Shack: Come for the Food, Stay for the View

by LadyRVG Written Apr 17, 2012
    Hubby's Seafood Platter for One

My husband and I had just spent the late morning exploring Fremantle and decided to enjoy a nice waterside lunch. I had done some research prior to our trip and found that Joe’s Fish Shack had excellent reviews and the pictures of the food were mouthwatering.

Joe’s is located on the water with views of the Fishing Boat Harbour. I love being by the water and hubby loves boats so this was perfect for us. As we entered the restaurant we were greeted warmly by the host and asked if we had a preference for seating (the place wasn’t crowded so we had plenty to choose from). It was hot outside so we chose to sit inside but requested a table on the indoor patio with a view of the water.

As we were seated we were handed menus and began to peruse the large selection of appetizing offerings. There was so much to choose from: fish, seafood, beef, chicken, salads, pasta, and sandwiches; basically something for any palate or diet. My eyes automatically went to the Salt & Pepper Squid with chips. I simply adore Salt & Pepper Squid and enjoy trying different versions of it wherever we dine. Hubby chose the Seafood Platter for One; a combination of Salt & Pepper Squid, Fish & Chips and stuffed Prawn. As an appetizer we decided to split an order of their Sourdough garlic bread that we just observed arriving at a nearby table. As for beverages; Chris went for an unsweetened iced tea and I had a Pepsi.
    Now that the ordering was done we could get to enjoying the marvelous water views.

Watching the seabirds, the boats and the passersby on the pier was so relaxing that I hardly noticed when our appetizer arrived. The aroma of the garlic bread was heavenly. Hubby and I fancy a good piece of sourdough and this was divine. The bread was thickly sliced and crispy. The center was warm and soft with buttery garlic flavor. It really was incredible and I have never had garlic bread this good anywhere.

After indulging in that wonderful garlic bread we eagerly anticipated the arrival of our entrees. The portions are very large; we could have skipped the appetizer if we wanted to finish these portions. I thoroughly enjoyed my Salt & pepper Squid. The squid was very tender and the batter was the perfect blend of spices. The chips were very good as well but I couldn’t finish my plate. Hubby enjoyed his food as well but thought the stuffed prawn was just “Ok”. He did love the fish & Chips and the Sat & pepper Squid. We did feel guilty leaving so much food on our plates and the server looked disappointed we didn’t want to take the leftovers. We explained we were just visiting and were staying at a hotel so re-heating the food wasn’t an option. He seemed much happier after hearing that.

I truly had a great experience here; the food was excellent, the service was great and the view was wonderful. This made for a great lunch with my hubby that we will always remember with a smile.

Favorite Dish: The Salt & pepper Squid was so delicious. It was one of the best I have had. The Garlic Bread was divine...I still think about it ...Yum!

• Beaches

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Joe's Fish Shack: Big Portions and Incredible View

by cjg1 Updated Mar 15, 2012

My seafood platter

Our first day in Perth we hopped on a train to Fremantle to explore and have some lunch. My wife and done some research prior to our trip and wanted to have lunch at Joe’s Fish Shack.

Joe’s is located right on the water of the Fishing Boat Harbour with good views. When we entered the restaurant it wasn’t too crowded; just a couple of tables of patrons (after all it was a week day). The host asked us if we had a preference of inside or on the covered patio. We chose to sit on the patio and were shown a nice table with a water view. We were handed menus and began to peruse all the tasty offerings. The menu had a nice selection of seafood dishes, chicken, beef as well as a nice variety of local fish specialties.

It didn’t take long for us to decide on our entrees. I chose the Joe’s Seafood Platter for One which was a combination of Salt & Pepper Squid, battered Fish and Chips, Coleslaw and stuffed Prawn. My wife chose the Salt & Pepper Squid with Chips. As a starter we ordered some of the Sourdough garlic Bread. It was ungodly hot out so I decided to forgo the beer and have an unsweetened iced tea while Liz had a Pepsi.

After we ordered; we settled into a state of relaxation. The water was a calming effect and there was so much activity in the harbour with the fishing boats pulling in and out. We hardly noticed our garlic bread arriving until the incredible smell hit our noses. Wow! This has to be the best garlic bread we have ever had. The garlic bread was thick slices of sourdough toast with both sides of the bread buttered and full of garlic. I drool now just remembering it….

Our platters of food arrived shortly after our appetizer was cleared. The portions here are definitely big and I’m glad we came hungry. My platter was very good. The Fish & Chips were well done with crispy coating and moist fish inside. The Salt & Pepper Squid was excellent and my wife loved hers as well. The stuffed Prawn was ok; nothing to rave about. We managed to eat until we were full but we did leave a considerable amount of food on our plates.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this place. I thought it might be too touristy a joint but it was very nice. Service was good, food was tasty, portions were big and I loved the view. It made for a nice afternoon in Fremantle.

• Jenelle7's Profile Photo

Joe's Fish Shack: View over the Harbour

by Jenelle7 Written Aug 5, 2004

Joe's Fish Shack

Though this restaurant is called Joe's Fish Shack, they do serve more than just seafood. They have some of the largest servings of steak that I have ever seen and they also have a very nice Chicken Caeser salad.
    Located at Fishing Boat Harbour Fremantle, the view over the harbour is a nice sight as you eat, especially as the sun sets.
    My partner and I come here a lot because the prices are reasonable, the service is good and the food is excellent. The seafood is always fresh and cooked to perfection.
    The restaurant is set out to look like a real fishermans hangout, with hooks and spears on the wall and of course sets of shark teeth.
    I would recommend this restaurant to families and couples, as the atmosphere of the restaurant is very relaxed.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish would have to be the Chilli Mussels (I'm a sucker for good chilli mussels) because they come in a great chilli sauce that is good for dipping your bread into.

Instant Answers: Perth

Comments

Hotels Near Joe's Fish Shack
4.0 out of 5 stars