Places to eat in Perth

Most Viewed Restaurants in Perth

• Madasabull's Profile Photo

Red Rooster Chicken: Every time I go bag to Perth, I have to have it

by Madasabull Written Dec 16, 2013

Honestly, as always, if your ever in Australia and your looking for some fast food, then Red Rooster is the place to get, well, chicken. But BBQ, not like the BBQ chicken you might buy in a supermarket of shop, this BBQ chicken is special, really special, and even the chips have added flavour.

If you don't want the chips, then just have the chicken, I like KFC too, but sometimes, well actually most times it is far too greasy. Red Rooster isnt greasy at all in my view, and they have all sorts of meals on offer, Hawaiin deep fried banana and pineapple, and dinner too, like with roast spuds and peas and gravy.

When we were kids our our mum an dad would get our Sunday roast from Red Rooster, and they still offer the same foods today. Just great.

• Travel with Pets

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Loads of places springing up...

by littlebush Updated Apr 19, 2013

In 2001 i self catered as i was backpacking but in 2013 despite the ridiculously high prices we ventured out to a few places as detailed below:

-Arirang, CBD - a South Korean place - quiet when we went but attentative service and sublime noodles. We had beef noodles each and both had a carlton cold bottle - $50 for the lot. You can also cook your own food at the table here.
    -Mad Mex, a chain - this is a fast food mexican-nothing special-$25 for 2 wraps!
    -Crusty pizza, Mount Lawley-taleaway - $21 for one pizza - wasnt thsat great either.
    -Mykonos, Mount Lawley-kebab shop - nice souvlaki and chips!
    -Beaufort Merchant, Mount Lawley-it was our last night and having not eaten out much due to the prices thought we'd find somewhre nice - after hours of internet searching we couldnt find anything we liked so we just walked and found this place. Great find! Great service, lovely decor (shelves and shelves of jams, bottles etc) - we had a bottle of chardonnay $42 with teh meal and shared board starter (octopus, brie, parma ham, toast, polenta chips, dips) and then barramundi and steak ($41) - very good food indeed. The bill was $159.

If self catering, meat is cheaper ehre than the uk-some steaks can be $4 or less although not great quality - ok for the bbq.
    Govindas is the Hare Krishna place in Northbridge, $5 in 2013 for a veggy curry.

Favorite Dish: Free food at the backpacker nights...mainly a Wednesday night at the post office!

The Dizzy Witch: Good start to the morning

by leffe3 Updated Sep 6, 2012

It's probably a little too sedate a place to live up to its name. I was expecting something a little more 'off-the-wall' and weird for a cafe named The Dizzy Witch. So it was a bit of a surprise to see fairly ordered tables and chairs, lots of space and little clutter with a big open kitchen at the back. (I was not expecting cauldrons, cobwebs and cats but it is a little anaemic for its name).

It's a breakfast and lunch cafe (7am - 4pm) and not being overly hungry, only had a (very good) coffee and two slices of excellent sour dough toast. But there were plenty of others tucking into scarmabled eggs, bacon etc around me and they looked happy enough!

Lunch menu consists of the breakfast options alongside 'sand-witches', burgers and the quiche/ pies/salads options.

Favorite Dish: Not really applicable

Phi Yen: A bit hit and miss

by leffe3 Written Sep 6, 2012

A Vietnamese restaurant opposite The Northbridge Hotel on Lake Street (see hotel tip), Phi Yen was virtually full on a blustery Monday evening when everywhere else around it was virtually empty - a good sign.

Unlike many of the Vietnamese restaurants in the immediate vicinity along Brisbane Street which are quick diners, Phi Yen is much more of a restaurant in the sense of decor, ambience and, inevitably, price. But it's not overdone - a more conducive layout to privacy and individual tables, discrete dark decor and lighting as opposed to the simpler formica top tables with sauces and condiments on the table.

It's friendly enough and service was fairly brisk considering the number of people in the restaurant.

Open 7 days per week for dinner (from 5pm) plus
    Lunch Tue-Sun (10.30-3pm)

Favorite Dish: Crab sesame toast as a starter was the definite miss - whilst it looked good and plump with five pieces, served on lettuce, it was too deep fried and way too greasy to be remotely pleasant.

Rice per portion is generous at $2.20 per person and the marinated lamb in chilli and lemongrass was tender, full of flavour and quite discrete with the chilli more of an aftertaste without being too hot but the spice definitely with zing. It was a little more fragrant that most Vietnamese dishes I have had in the past.

Bivouac Canteen & Bar: Cool place to be

by leffe3 Written Sep 6, 2012

With its pale green tiled frontage and double windows, battered, vintage unmatched outdoor tables and chairs, Bivouac Canteen and Bar initially gives off a slightly retro, cool-jazzed 1950s milk bar feeling. Yet the hip, cool interior and gloriously diverse menu dispatches any fears of soda fountains and bubble gum.

Confronted by a large central bar and a few full tables, a place at the bar was my only option to sit and watch (and vaguely listen) to the young, mostly cool diners around me. Yet Bivouac is not an exclusive place where the young dominate. Whether that's to do with good business sense or the fact that the floor staff were all incredibly friendly women (or a mix of both) maybe the reason, or it may be irrelevant. Don't know, don't really care. All I do know/care is that the moment I walked through the door (in spite of no sign of a menu outside), I knew it was the place I wanted to eat in.

Favorite Dish: The hardest thing once having the menu given to me was what to eat. The best way to describe the menu was as the head honcho (I think) described it - a wide, pan-Mediterranean style.

So gourmet pizza, gnocchi and risotto certainly featured - but then the risotto mixed truffle oil and reggiano with okra and freekeh whilst pizzas included Tunisian lamb with tzatziki and za'atar chicken with sarimsakli.

Small plates (tapas, mezzes - whichever language) ranged from fancy hand cut chips ($10) with fennel salt and truffle mayonnaise through to pancetta wrapped scallops, cauliflower puree, raisin & pine nut salsa ($24).

But not being overly hungry, I passed on the small plates and focussed with difficulty on the six mains, knowing I would be happy with any of them except the risotto!

*pan-fried gnocchi, kale, stracchino, pine nuts, raisins, soft herbs
    *pork rib-eye 24hr honey & caraway marinade, goats cheese mash, px jus
    *istanbul lamb ragout, preserved lemon & mint mograbieh salad, harissa labneh
    *slow cooked beef cheeks, kale, chick pea cake, granata braising liquor
    *za’atar roasted chicken breast, jerusalem artichoke, slow roast tomato, pomegranate & coriander salsa

In the end I chose the lamb ragout - but it was a close thing! And it was wonderful - accompanied by broccolini with anchovy crumb (which I didn't really need - and warned by the waitress that it may be too much). A fab glass of Mojo shiraz and an espresso at the end - total $A54. Excellent value.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Globe Restaurant: Good Buffet Breakfast

by cjg1 Updated Mar 15, 2012

The Globe Restaurant is the breakfast option when staying at the Parmelia Hilton. As a Diamond with Hilton; my wife and I received complimentary breakfast here in the morning.

The breakfast was buffet style with various stations located at the back of the dining room. There was a large selection of bread, pastry, muffins, fresh fruit, yogurt, fruit juices, deli meats, cheeses, sausage, bacon, waffles, potatoes, pancakes and made to order omlettes.

I have to say the breakfast was quite good and filling; perfect for the start of another day of exploration.

Favorite Dish: The fresh fruit was the best. I so enjoy a nice selection of fresh fruit especially watermelon and pineapple. The eggs were quite good and I liked the hashbrowns. My wife was thrilled that there were baked tomatoes; which are a favorite for her to accompany her breakfast.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Moon and Sixpence: Good Beer, Bad Food

by cjg1 Updated Mar 15, 2012

Moon & Sixpence is a pub we came across during our walk through the city. There was a large crowd on their outdoor patio; so we assumed the place must be good. We were hungry; so we decided to stop in for a bite to eat.

The pub is the typical pub set up that I love with various rooms off from the main bar area. We had a seat at a table and checked out the food offerings. My eyes immediately went to the nachos; as I had been craving them badly on this trip. My wife decide to have some of her favorite Salt & Pepper Squid with chips. I went up to the bar to place our food order and get us some drinks.

The pub definitely had a good vibe and a casual comfort to it. We enjoyed sitting back, relaxing and enjoying our cold drinks as we waited for our food. My pager went off about fifteen minutes after I placed the order and I went to retrieve our food. The food looked good but looks can be deceiving.

My nachos were barely edible with store bought chips; melted liquid sour cream, questionable cheese and meat. My wife's squid wasn't much better. The squid was rubbery and had no flavor. The chips ranged from soggy to overly cooked. Needless to say we weren't satisfied with this food experience.

Depite the bad food; I would come back here for drinks. I did like the place as a pub.

Medaya King Kebabs: Greasy, Filling, Life-saving

by leon.partsi Written Nov 6, 2011

When you've had a little too much to drink and need a break plus some greasy food to settle the stomach, go no further than King Kebabs.

Kebabs have been a peak Aussie drunk food since before I was born, and the guys at Medaya love their jobs. They take a good amount of pride in their greasy inventions and aren't shy to pose for a photo - something to be looked up to.

They're right in the middle of town, so it's perfect for that mid-pub-crawl snack.

Favorite Dish: Kebab with the lot, and plenty of tsasiki

• leon.partsi's Profile Photo

Greenhouse: Great atmosphere, award winning food

by leon.partsi Written Nov 6, 2011

The outside of this cafe/restaurant is a like something out of a fairytale - lines of individual potted plants make up the entire 3-storey terrace in a sort of larger than life gingerbread (or at least potted-plant) house.

The food has won multiple awards, making it hard to pick out one item since they're all spectacular. It's worth just going to have a look at this place. Note, there is no solid food served inbetween the breakfast and lunch times (12-3) from memory.

All the cool people hang out in the rooftop bar.

Favorite Dish: Rock Oysters with lime.

I am not sure why this entree is what I picked from the awesome list of food to review - but I have to say, they found a strange but fascinating twist on a favourite food of mine - most oysters come with lemons and cocktail sauce, you see. The limes add an unexpected taste. I thought it would be very similar to lemons, but it is definitely not. It's a little hard to describe... my advice is to try it for yourself!

Chez Jean Paul Patisserie: Incredible French Pastries

by leon.partsi Written Nov 6, 2011

Small and unassuming, this place depends on the power of smell to draw you in. I wasn't even aware of it's existence as I walked down a street in Subiaco, headed for King's Park. But, the aromatic fragrance of fresh baked bread brought back a rush of memories from my time in France and I couldn't help but stop and see what was making me salivate.

This little bakery has some of the most fantastic pastries I've ever eaten outside of France, and for a reasonable price. I recommend it to everyone and everything.

Favorite Dish: Yummy, yummy pastries - all the baked goodness a glazed fruit you can eat at $4 per pastry.

The Lucky Shag: Fantastic Waterfront Locale

by leon.partsi Written Nov 6, 2011

Don't let the creepy name deceive you - this place is very child-friendly and has a wide assortment of food options that everyone will enjoy. I saw a particularly awesome platter full of burgers going around that I simply wanted to demolish.

The bouncers were a bit curt, however it's a small price to pay for the fantastic outside area which is prime waterfront.

The male bathrooms have a small secret - the mirrors above the urinals are a one-way view into pub itself - you can look at the inhabitants of the pub as you relive yourself. Somewhat concerned, I went outside just to verify that I am in fact not revealing myself to a large crowd and found perfectly reflective glass on the other side. Here's hoping nobody ever looked close and got something out of their teeth on these mirrors!

They won't serve jugs of beer, but there is a lot on tap and pints are expected - there is no such thing as a pot.

Favorite Dish: Burger Platter - delicious and enticing

Rembrandt Polish Restaurant: Polish Kitchen

by arianne_1504 Written Sep 3, 2011

I have been wanting to try this restaurant for years - and it was worth the weight.

I've heard it said that the service was slow, and this was my opinion of the first 10 minutes of being there, however it's obviously a family run restaurant and with its homely feel and tasty food, it's forgiven.

My potato pancakes which were layered with a beef goulash was awesome. The serving was huge, and filling - however you can get a takeaway container for 50c which saved the day.

Open 6 days
    Tues - Fri 4:30pm - 10pm
    Sat 11am - 10pm
    Sun 11am - 9pm

BYO $3.00

Favorite Dish: The mixed Pierogi and the potato pancakes are to die for! Finish off nicely with a paczki (jam filled doughnut) for dessert.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

Rochelle Adonis: Food of the Gods

by arianne_1504 Written Jul 24, 2011

If you're looking for something a bit different, why not try High Tea at Rochelle Adonis? For $45 you get a selection of savoury and sweet delights as well as tea, coffee or hot chocolate.

A dainty, girly looking venue, it makes the perfect place to get together with your girlfriends.

Plus you can bring your own champagne, with corkage set at $10 per bottle.

Very yummy....

Favorite Dish: All of eat (I mean all of it).

• Women's Travel

Rockpool: Rocked by Rockpool

by arianne_1504 Updated Jun 4, 2011

We've all heard the hype and apparently Rockpool Perth made more money in its first 2 months of opening than either Sydney or Melbourne made in their first years. I admit I was expecting something very posh with tiny sized meals at an exhorbitant price, but I was pleasantly surprised to find this was not the case. The service was great, but still homely, the food serves were definitely sufficient and to be honest at the end of the night the bill was not as exhorbitant as I had dreamed it would be. I'd definitely go back to Rockpool again.

Favorite Dish: Hazelnut Macaron and Banana Ice Cream Sandwich.

• Business Travel

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

Tiamo cafe - restaurant: - the steaks are great

by sirgaw Updated Apr 4, 2011

Located in an Art Deco small building (owner said it was a pharmacy) in the up-market suburb of Nedlands, Tiamo is trendy eatery with indoor and outdoor dining. Meals are well presented and generous sized. Extensive wine list featuring fine West Australian wines and beers.

Restaurant was packed out on the Tuesday night we dined there and as a result service was very slow and because of this I have marked down the rating. Main meals $25 - 35

Favorite Dish: Grain fed steak

Pacific International Suites
Ibis Hotel Perth
Novotel Langley Perth

Instant Answers: Perth

Comments

Perth Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Perth locals.
Map of Perth