The old 1606 ‘Duyfken’ replica is currently moored at Old Swan Brewery until November 2005. The ship was built in Fremantle and launched in 1999 and completed a very ambition ambitious age-of-discovery re-enactment voyage from Australia to the Netherlands via the old spice route. The journey crossed three great oceans and visited four continents. The ‘Little Dove’ as it is known is now residing outside the Old Swan Brewery.
Travelling around Mounts Bay Road you will come across the Old Swan Brewery, The brewery itself was established in 1857 by a former school teacher and widowed father of six, Frederick Sherwood in the vicinity of a hillside spring which ran down to the Swan River and Sherwood. Over the years the brewery changed hands and grew. Swan acquired the Lion, Kalgoorlie and Castlemaine breweries and, in 1928, the Emu Brewery.
This present location was built in 1879 and was up and operating in 1880. The brewery ended production here in 1966 and moved all brewing operations temporarily to the Emu Brewery in Spring Street. The Old Swan Brewery was re-opened in October 2001, with a state of the art micro-brewery, café-restaurant and function venue. Original recipe beers are produced on the site and samples are provided. The café-restaurant, has won awards for their food and there is al fresco dinning with wonderful views of the Swan River.
They are open 7 days Breakfast: 7:30am to 11:30am Light meals: 11:30am to 10:00pm, A La Carte: 12 noon - 3pm / 6pm - 10pm 7 days.
The Aboriginals regard the old brewery site as a place attributed to Waugal (or Wagyl, Wagal, Wagul, Uocol), a Dreamtime ancestor who formed the bed and hills of the Swan River.