Renting a Car, Perth

Know about this? Rate It!

The Camry we got, perfect for my height
    by Wicked46
    There logo
    by Wicked46
  • Renting a Car
    by cjg1
  • Decent Car rental Company

by Wicked46 Written Jul 2, 2014

There logo

Was recently in Perth again for about a week to see family and we decided we needed a rental car this time since our relatives had sold the spare car we usually used. We did the normal google search to see what rental car companies had to offer and decided to go with a smaller company called Cottesloe car and Ute hire based of the google reviews they had (all [positive, 5 stars i put there google reviews link in too) The company was very helpful and the service was really good and they got us into the right car (I'm rather tall) for a rather cheap price. We had looked around at a other providers but there where either a great distance away, had terrible reviews or ridiculous prices. Anyway just thought I would pass this one on since they where a real pleasure to deal with.

• Burswood Car Rentals are great

by harshy Updated Jun 14, 2011

We recently went to Perth for a holiday and hired a car from Burswood Car Rentals. I just wanted to tell everyone how great they were. The airport service was quick and hassle free, they were cheap and the staff were lovely.

• Business Travel

• loowl's Profile Photo

Bayswater

by loowl Updated Apr 4, 2011

We booked a Coralla Hatch back car from Bayswater for 5 days for AU$275 with co-share driver and Top Cover reduces damage responsibility to $50.

The car boot is kind of small. It can only fit a hand carry and a big size luggage.

When we book the car online, we requested for a Nav (GPS). However, when we went to collect the car, we were told that all the Nav were rented out and we will not have one. We were very upset as we want to have a stress-free holiday whereby either of us do not need to stare at the map constantly for direction. We were offered a very old road map out of good will. We decided to hang at the counter for a while to see whether anyone will return a Nav. Thank god the wait was not long, we waited for about 10 min and we saw someone walking out of the return car with a Nav.

All bayswater car comes with a "no bird" sticker on the front door. It kind of stand out as a rental car which can be a target for people to break in. (See the yellow sticker). We kept the Nav inside the compartment at every stop as I had a bad experience in San Diego whereby the car was being broken and the thief try to dismantle the Nav. (The Nav for Hertz is permanently fixed to the car dash board.) For this Nav, it is portable.

Overall for the price that we are paying, we have no complain about the car.

• School Holidays

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Pumping Petrol

by Aidy_p Updated Aug 10, 2010
    Pump It Up!

My family had to tone down our expectations of travelling long distance. So in terms of petrol, we really did not spent too much. We were given a full tank and though the car that we drove was pretty much a fuel guzzler, we had only used about 3/4 tank.

At the petrol station, there was no pump attendant. So you have to DIY. Also, there was only one grade, so not too much decision that I'd to make. The petrol price, in comparison to my home country, Singapore, is also cheaper by at least 50 cents per litre.

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Budget Car Rental

by Aidy_p Updated Jul 12, 2010
    Our Drive For The Week

Whenever we rent a car, we hope that if a company promises to deliver "A", he delivers "A". For Budget Car Rental, it was a bit of a challenge becuase we tasted bitter-sweet.

Firstly, the website mentions that we will be offered a Toyota Tarago or equivalent. When we arrived at the airport, we received an equivalent. But that's not the point. When I asked if we can have the Tarago, the counter lady said that they do not have Taragos. Huh? So that is more for reference? That, in my terms, is called mis-representation.

Secondly, we had to wait for 1 hour for the car to be delivered. Why? They did not expect me to arrive from the International Airport and as such, the car is at the domestic airport. The counter lady even have the nerve to ask me to pick up the car from the other airport which was like, 15 minutes drive, and at my own cost.

Anyway, she had no choice but to pick it up for us (C'mon, where's the customer service?)

The car we received was a seven-seater Kia Carnival. It was a pretty comfortable drive albeit a true fuel guzzler because of its size.

• dachel's Profile Photo

Bayswater

by dachel Updated Mar 2, 2009

We paid A$215 ($43/day) to rent a toyota corrolla hatch for 5days in their Perth office with A$300 refundable deposit.

GPS are charged at $5 per day. They do not have childseat. We rent it from littlehugger fr scarbourge beach rd. it charge $25 for 5days. You can leave the childseat with Bayswater when returning the car. (According to the info given by WA tourist info ctr, the childseat is enforced by law for young child under 6.)

Good value for money!

• Car rental

by YS7 Written Nov 12, 2008

I would strongly suggest you try another car rental company instead of Bayswater, as i just returned the car today and found out that the car i rented was missing a parcel shelf, which i found hard to believe as i didnt even use the boot. So maybe try another company or make sure you do a 200% inspection to make sure you dont get ripped off like me. Forgot to mention i lost my $300 bond which i am very angry about.

• imstress's Profile Photo

Bayswater Car Rental

by imstress Written Aug 25, 2007

Bayswater Car Rental

After getting a few quotations, we have decided to get our rented car at Bayswater Car Rental.

Do note that you need to pay extrea A$50 for driving to Esperance. Additional experience named driver fee is charged at A$10. It is advisible to have more than one driver especially if you are driving long distances.

Do ask for a street directory which will be useful for driving in Perth. For further distances like Esperance, we would suggest that you buy a good map. The road signs are quite clear. You need to confirm the direction or town you are heading for.

There are petrol stations in almost every town. Do pump so petrol where ever you come across one. The further away from the city, the more expensive the petrol prices will be.

• vtveen's Profile Photo

Hertz car through the Fremantle Visitor Centre

by vtveen Written Feb 27, 2007

Fremantle Visitor Centre offers a possibility to hire cars with special rates, only available when booking direct with them. We decided to rent our car from Hertz, because they had an almost custom made offer for us:
    - unlimited km’s
    - CDW excess reduced
    - all taxes and fees included
    - free airport drop off
    - their Fremantle office was opened on a Saturday morning.

We had to pay just AUD 56,- per day for a Toyota Corolla.

Be aware: we could drop off our car at Perth International Airport, but there is NO petrol station on the airport. We had to buy our last petrol in one of the suburbs of Perth.

• pamychan's Profile Photo

Beautiful Road Trips

by pamychan Written Dec 22, 2006

If u r planning to travel western australia, even if just to margaret river, renting a car is a good idea. The drives in Perth (and i think in australia in general) are beautiful. We rented from M2000 which is supposedly cheap according to my friend who studied in Perth. No problems with them at all. The car was also quite new.

• leanne_pearc's Profile Photo

Backpackers Car Rental

by leanne_pearc Written Jan 21, 2006

There is a place in which i pass when driving to Fremantle called 'BACKPACKERS CAR RENTALS'. Located in South Freo, Hampton Road (at the intersection of Rockingham Rd & Hampton Rd)

Its been there for ages and has recently has a revamp - now targeting backpackers.

Haven't tried it but i am sure its cheaper than the expensive places!!!!

• woosoowei's Profile Photo

Car Rentals

by woosoowei Written Jun 28, 2005

Car Rentals are generally cheap at WA as compared to my home country. I have rented a MPV from Mr. Daniel Killen of Northern Rentals at AUS110 per day.

Car condition is good and new. Be remember that the car rental counters at the airport might not offering u the best price in town. U may call others around Perth and they will happily deliver your desire transport to u at Airport. : )

• Business Travel

• leanne_pearc's Profile Photo

Hire a Car

by leanne_pearc Updated Jun 24, 2003

Car

If you are touring The southern region (which i highly recommend) then i really would suggest that you hire a car. It really is worth it and gives you so much freedom. There are car places that have cheap prices and they are second hand (if that's the word) and very reliable. However my recommendation is wellknown car hire.

• You ain't going nowhere without a car

by canicelim Written May 5, 2003

Perth is one of those places where public transportation is for commuter traffic. Past peak hours, chances are, you are going to find it difficult to get around.

I would defintely rent a car. Cabs are expensive and hard to find and you'll have to call to get one.

Plus, having a car means that you can take off anywhere, north or south of the city for getaways to the South West where you will find wine country, karri forests and amazing coastlines -

OR

Drive north where the landscape is remarkably different, coastline decidedly more rugged and where humble seaside resorts are.

• Gnome's Profile Photo

Perth is a very modern city...

by Gnome Written Aug 24, 2002

Perth is a very modern city with excellent freeways and relatively quiet roads. You'll definitely want a car to get around.

Instant Answers: Perth

• Mar 27, 2014 at 12:54 AM

We booked online a Toyota Corolla hatch from Bayswater car rental from their WA office at 381 Guildford Rd, Bayswater, WA. for travel on 15Mar-22Mar2014. This is the cheapest quote I've found after many searches. We received fast and efficient service on the car collection day, the car was very clean and even as auto cruise function. We took the insurance option of only S$6/day which was the cheapest amongst all other car rental companies and it covers everything. Our deposit of A$50 was fully refunded the very next day we dropped our car after their working hours. The two staff, one of them a Chinese, attending to us were very friendly and efficient. One of them even offered to lend us a thick book of street directory. I'm very glad I chose this company despite the many bad comments I saw in the net which did caused me to hesitate and ponder for quite a long time. Maybe rival companies were trying to lessen their business. Cheap daily car rental rate, good and clean car, friendly service, fast & efficient staff, easy online booking, insurance is cheap and covers everything - I highly recommend this company.

• Jan 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Bad experience with Backpackers Car Rental in South Freo. The car broke down within 1 hr and had to be towed back to the depot. The lady at the desk assured me I would get a full refund but after 2 weeks when I had my bond back I sadly found they charged me $74 in bank and cancellation fees. "It's our policy" they explained, because I refused to take another car.
    They're absolutely right but hey! beware of these people and their hidden costs...