Renting a Car, Perth

Know about this? Rate It!

There logo
    by Wicked46
    The Camry we got, perfect for my height
    by Wicked46
    Our rented vehicle
    by walterwu
  • imstress's Profile Photo

Bayswater Car Rental

by imstress Written Aug 25, 2007

After getting a few quotations, we have decided to get our rented car at Bayswater Car Rental.

Do note that you need to pay extrea A$50 for driving to Esperance. Additional experience named driver fee is charged at A$10. It is advisible to have more than one driver especially if you are driving long distances.

Do ask for a street directory which will be useful for driving in Perth. For further distances like Esperance, we would suggest that you buy a good map. The road signs are quite clear. You need to confirm the direction or town you are heading for.

There are petrol stations in almost every town. Do pump so petrol where ever you come across one. The further away from the city, the more expensive the petrol prices will be.

Bayswater Car Rental Bayswater Car Rental Bayswater Car Rental Bayswater Car Rental Bayswater Car Rental

• woosoowei's Profile Photo

Car Rentals

by woosoowei Written Jun 28, 2005

Car Rentals are generally cheap at WA as compared to my home country. I have rented a MPV from Mr. Daniel Killen of Northern Rentals at AUS110 per day.

Car condition is good and new. Be remember that the car rental counters at the airport might not offering u the best price in town. U may call others around Perth and they will happily deliver your desire transport to u at Airport. : )

• Business Travel

• Budget Rentals in Fremantle

by RobJH Written Oct 6, 2014

I was due to pick up a car from the Budget Fremantle site at 10am on Sunday 28 September 2014. I had booked online via the Qantas website and had specified a pick-up of 10am.

We were running a little late, so we phoned *before* 10am to say we would be there soon, but no-one answered. When we arrived (about 10.20am) the place was closed with no notice or other information saying how we could collect the car we had booked. A sign on the door said that the office closed at 10am.

We had booked a pick-up at 10am, and no-one had told us that the Fremantle office would close at 10am. They had my mobile number, yet nobody bothered to call me. They also did not answer calls before 10am when they were supposed to be open.

After several phone calls to the Perth airport office, we eventually took a taxi (at a cost of $72) to the airport to collect the car we had booked.

The price I had been quoted was $176, but we were forced to sign an agreement for $264, the extra costs being partly due to picking up the car at the airport, which was not my plan in any case and only occurred because of the appalling service at Fremantle.

When I complained about how unfair this was, the girl on the counter said she had no power to change the price.

In addition, we were told that any insurance only covered daylight hours outside of residential areas. Essentially, we were under curfew while on holiday!

I have tried emailing the manager of the Fremantle and Perth offices, but no-one will reply. I did get a phone call from a junior person in the Fremantle office telling me that all the problems were my fault because I wasn't there before 10am to collect the car.

After checking my bank account when I returned I found I had been charged $289, with no explanation for why I was charged an additional $25.

I will never rent from Budget again.

• pamychan's Profile Photo

Beautiful Road Trips

by pamychan Written Dec 22, 2006

If u r planning to travel western australia, even if just to margaret river, renting a car is a good idea. The drives in Perth (and i think in australia in general) are beautiful. We rented from M2000 which is supposedly cheap according to my friend who studied in Perth. No problems with them at all. The car was also quite new.

kangaroos run wild along the roads!

• walterwu's Profile Photo

Smooth as Silk

by walterwu Updated Dec 12, 2014

Rented a Toyota Corolla saloon car from Bayswater Car Rental. The process of renting and returning the vehicle was smooth and problem free. The only hitch was that the credit card name and the driver's license name differs was with most asian. However, after a short verification, this was resolved.

The vehicle comes with in-built USB port. We didn't rent the GPS Navigation system but used Google Maps with a local data pre-paid plan for navigation.

Moving around is easy and most drivers are courteous.

Our rented vehicle New Toyota Corolla

• walterwu's Profile Photo

Car Parking System

by walterwu Written Dec 22, 2014

Car Parking fees are different from what I am used to from where I came from.

Back home, when parking, there is the hourly charge subject to a maximum of certain amount payable for the day. Beyond the maximum payable, you didn't need to pay anymore and can continue to park at the carpark for the day.

In Perth, the system seems to be based on that one can only park up to the maximum fee payable. The payment, via parking ticket vending machine, can to a certain number of periods. Where it is 3P, the maximum hours that one is allowed to park there would be 3 hours. Beyond which, you could get a parking breach ticket.

This can be inconvenient if you require to park longer then the maximum allowable for the parking lot.

• Decent Car rental Company

by Wicked46 Written Jul 2, 2014

Was recently in Perth again for about a week to see family and we decided we needed a rental car this time since our relatives had sold the spare car we usually used. We did the normal google search to see what rental car companies had to offer and decided to go with a smaller company called Cottesloe car and Ute hire based of the google reviews they had (all [positive, 5 stars i put there google reviews link in too) The company was very helpful and the service was really good and they got us into the right car (I'm rather tall) for a rather cheap price. We had looked around at a other providers but there where either a great distance away, had terrible reviews or ridiculous prices. Anyway just thought I would pass this one on since they where a real pleasure to deal with.

There logo The Camry we got, perfect for my height

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Budget Car Rental

by Aidy_p Updated Jul 12, 2010

Whenever we rent a car, we hope that if a company promises to deliver "A", he delivers "A". For Budget Car Rental, it was a bit of a challenge becuase we tasted bitter-sweet.

Firstly, the website mentions that we will be offered a Toyota Tarago or equivalent. When we arrived at the airport, we received an equivalent. But that's not the point. When I asked if we can have the Tarago, the counter lady said that they do not have Taragos. Huh? So that is more for reference? That, in my terms, is called mis-representation.

Secondly, we had to wait for 1 hour for the car to be delivered. Why? They did not expect me to arrive from the International Airport and as such, the car is at the domestic airport. The counter lady even have the nerve to ask me to pick up the car from the other airport which was like, 15 minutes drive, and at my own cost.

Anyway, she had no choice but to pick it up for us (C'mon, where's the customer service?)

The car we received was a seven-seater Kia Carnival. It was a pretty comfortable drive albeit a true fuel guzzler because of its size.

Our Drive For The Week

• leanne_pearc's Profile Photo

Hire a Car

by leanne_pearc Updated Jun 24, 2003

If you are touring The southern region (which i highly recommend) then i really would suggest that you hire a car. It really is worth it and gives you so much freedom. There are car places that have cheap prices and they are second hand (if that's the word) and very reliable. However my recommendation is wellknown car hire.

Car

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Pumping Petrol

by Aidy_p Updated Aug 10, 2010

My family had to tone down our expectations of travelling long distance. So in terms of petrol, we really did not spent too much. We were given a full tank and though the car that we drove was pretty much a fuel guzzler, we had only used about 3/4 tank.

At the petrol station, there was no pump attendant. So you have to DIY. Also, there was only one grade, so not too much decision that I'd to make. The petrol price, in comparison to my home country, Singapore, is also cheaper by at least 50 cents per litre.

Pump It Up!

• Burswood Car Rentals are great

by harshy Updated Jun 14, 2011

We recently went to Perth for a holiday and hired a car from Burswood Car Rentals. I just wanted to tell everyone how great they were. The airport service was quick and hassle free, they were cheap and the staff were lovely.

• Business Travel

• Car rental

by YS7 Written Nov 12, 2008

I would strongly suggest you try another car rental company instead of Bayswater, as i just returned the car today and found out that the car i rented was missing a parcel shelf, which i found hard to believe as i didnt even use the boot. So maybe try another company or make sure you do a 200% inspection to make sure you dont get ripped off like me. Forgot to mention i lost my $300 bond which i am very angry about.

• loowl's Profile Photo

Bayswater

by loowl Updated Apr 4, 2011

We booked a Coralla Hatch back car from Bayswater for 5 days for AU$275 with co-share driver and Top Cover reduces damage responsibility to $50.

The car boot is kind of small. It can only fit a hand carry and a big size luggage.

When we book the car online, we requested for a Nav (GPS). However, when we went to collect the car, we were told that all the Nav were rented out and we will not have one. We were very upset as we want to have a stress-free holiday whereby either of us do not need to stare at the map constantly for direction. We were offered a very old road map out of good will. We decided to hang at the counter for a while to see whether anyone will return a Nav. Thank god the wait was not long, we waited for about 10 min and we saw someone walking out of the return car with a Nav.

All bayswater car comes with a "no bird" sticker on the front door. It kind of stand out as a rental car which can be a target for people to break in. (See the yellow sticker). We kept the Nav inside the compartment at every stop as I had a bad experience in San Diego whereby the car was being broken and the thief try to dismantle the Nav. (The Nav for Hertz is permanently fixed to the car dash board.) For this Nav, it is portable.

Overall for the price that we are paying, we have no complain about the car.

• School Holidays

• dachel's Profile Photo

Bayswater

by dachel Updated Mar 2, 2009

We paid A$215 ($43/day) to rent a toyota corrolla hatch for 5days in their Perth office with A$300 refundable deposit.

GPS are charged at $5 per day. They do not have childseat. We rent it from littlehugger fr scarbourge beach rd. it charge $25 for 5days. You can leave the childseat with Bayswater when returning the car. (According to the info given by WA tourist info ctr, the childseat is enforced by law for young child under 6.)

Good value for money!

• leanne_pearc's Profile Photo

Backpackers Car Rental

by leanne_pearc Written Jan 21, 2006

There is a place in which i pass when driving to Fremantle called 'BACKPACKERS CAR RENTALS'. Located in South Freo, Hampton Road (at the intersection of Rockingham Rd & Hampton Rd)

Its been there for ages and has recently has a revamp - now targeting backpackers.

Haven't tried it but i am sure its cheaper than the expensive places!!!!

Instant Answers: Perth

• Mar 27, 2014 at 12:54 AM

We booked online a Toyota Corolla hatch from Bayswater car rental from their WA office at 381 Guildford Rd, Bayswater, WA. for travel on 15Mar-22Mar2014. This is the cheapest quote I've found after many searches. We received fast and efficient service on the car collection day, the car was very clean and even as auto cruise function. We took the insurance option of only S$6/day which was the cheapest amongst all other car rental companies and it covers everything. Our deposit of A$50 was fully refunded the very next day we dropped our car after their working hours. The two staff, one of them a Chinese, attending to us were very friendly and efficient. One of them even offered to lend us a thick book of street directory. I'm very glad I chose this company despite the many bad comments I saw in the net which did caused me to hesitate and ponder for quite a long time. Maybe rival companies were trying to lessen their business. Cheap daily car rental rate, good and clean car, friendly service, fast & efficient staff, easy online booking, insurance is cheap and covers everything - I highly recommend this company.

• Jan 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Bad experience with Backpackers Car Rental in South Freo. The car broke down within 1 hr and had to be towed back to the depot. The lady at the desk assured me I would get a full refund but after 2 weeks when I had my bond back I sadly found they charged me $74 in bank and cancellation fees. "It's our policy" they explained, because I refused to take another car.
    They're absolutely right but hey! beware of these people and their hidden costs...